Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicles blocking charging spots

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a reply from vicroads:

"If there is a paking sign for 'electric vehicle only' - then other car(non-EV) drivers are breaking the road rules by disobaying the parking sign.
If there is no such parking sign, then Non-EV drivers are not doing anything wrong. Regardless, local council or the shopping centre managements are responsible for the enforcement of the parking signs/ related road rules. You may wish to contact them and discuss your concern regarding the parking issue."

I just sent this to vicroads. I don't even have my EV yet, but I'm already annoyed by chargers being blocked. I'll update here if/when I get a response.

"Is there any rule currently in place or under consideration to prevent combustion-engine vehicles from parking in designated electric vehicle charging bays? If not, how can I raise this to be looked at?

As more and more EV chargers are being installed in public parking areas (e.g. shopping centre carparks) and EV adoption is accelerating, non-charging vehicles blocking EV chargers is an increasing problem. This can be likened to a vehicle blocking a petrol bowser without filling up."

I had my first experience with a dhead Tesla driver about an hour ago. I was parked in a normal sized charging bay which was next to a "small car" charging bay (noticeably smaller) and then another two normal sized charging bays. I was parked between the lines (important point) and thought I had moved over to give people lots of room. The other big bays being occupied by charging Teslas. I was with my daughter and after about an hour I took some groceries to the car and noticed another X had parked in the far parking bay with the other bays being vacant. We dropped off the groceries and went back into the shops for 10 minutes, when I came back the other owner was arriving too. I nodded hello to him and then he pointed and said "did you have trouble parking", and then "I parked next to you and couldn't open my door". I'm thinking to myself, why would you park an X in the small parking spaces when there's another big space free (I assumed he had just parked when we took the groceries down as I saw him walking to the lifts, the big space was definitely free). And then finally, "they're big cars, they take some time to get used to".

I just checked the video from Sentry Mode, there he is parking next to me. He pulled in, pulled back out and moved over a bit and wait for it......got out of his car quite easily. He then spent the next 20 minutes wiping down his car before moving it over to the far spot which had obviously become free, the big spot next to him was free the whole time. Why he didn't park in the normal sized car space in the first instance I have no idea, a small car could have easily parked in the small car spot and an X was always going to be tight. I like to think I'm quite an aware driver and I was under the impression I had left more than enough room for another car.

So my takeaway from this is that normal people who try to be considerate make mistakes (although I was between the lines, NOT over them, I could have done better), but if you're going to make a comment to somebody about it then do it nicely or you might make the person think you're a tosser.

I was at Sunshine Plaza today and there were two Model 3's parked but not charging View attachment 460430
Westfield Bondi Junction today.
View attachment 460880
Don't be a Dimwatt. (someone who parks in an EV charging space but doesn't charge.)

I feel like this is going to be a much more regular occurrence with so many new-to-EV owners getting their Model 3’s in the last few weeks.

When I got into a Tesla last year, the only reason I was aware of EV etiquette was through forums and chatting with other owners; Of course I’m generalising here but I’d venture that those owners parking but not charging are probably not the type of owners who have spent loads of time on the forums - so some patience and politely educating newer owners in person (if you see them) will hopefully go a long way.

Adelaide supercharger; model 3; pretty sure this is the local Chaufer vehicle company.

Attachments

• A1A35347-B78C-4342-8EB1-31090E9FE414.jpeg
    A1A35347-B78C-4342-8EB1-31090E9FE414.jpeg
    814.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 187BF6F1-5669-4D4C-8629-70A8FDC6FCE3.jpeg
    187BF6F1-5669-4D4C-8629-70A8FDC6FCE3.jpeg
    801.6 KB · Views: 71
  • Funny
Reactions: one4spl
Adelaide supercharger; model 3; pretty sure this is the local Chaufer vehicle company.
Those bastards, I've caught one of them before plugged halfway in but not charging just so they can park.
Of course i helped them out and plugged them in :) Hope they got slugged idle fees.

I hate the MyCar guys since they hit my door at the Adelaide SC and simply said "doesn't matter as its only a 75D"

Those bastards, I've caught one of them before plugged halfway in but not charging just so they can park.
Of course i helped them out and plugged them in :) Hope they got slugged idle fees.

I hate the MyCar guys since they hit my door at the Adelaide SC and simply said "doesn't matter as its only a 75D"
I’ll be sure to repeat your kindness and always ensure they are properly plugged in

Been to this place a dozen times and only managed to park and plug in twice!!! It's not like that Red Sign staring you in the face as you drive in is easily missed. I was really tempted to reverse-park adjacent to that VW and swing that charging cord over their front bonnet! Actually ...
Problem with that is you will return to a keyed car and or your tires let down....but otherwise I feel exactly the same way.

Except the controller of said space is the Adelaide City Council. They are a disfunction excuse for a council. Once had an issue with a tyre company parking customer cars in a laneway, as in the entire laneway....left, right, middle. Adelaide city council took two years to act on the highly illegal behaviour.
I'll add Adelaide to the list of dysfunctional councils I've known over the years. Seems to be a common problem, I wonder if it's a inevitability based on the structure of councils, how they recruit, vet, maintain members etc.