Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Version 2018.10.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On state (WA) highway 3, at the junction to Hartstein (sp) island, the lane painting crew must have visited the local bar before painting the yellow an white lines. Therefore, Xena tended to swerve into on coming traffic, yesterday however, she staid in her own lane:)
On the down side, while attempting to change lanes on highway 101, I had to manually change the lane as I always do ~ so no improvement there. Highway 101 is a two lane each way freeway with 90 degree stop to start on ramps:-(
So, yes things are improving.

Anyone notice the auto wiper is worse than before?
Yes. Definitely. For the past two days I have noticed the decrease in sensitivity of Auto Wipe during the light rain showers I have been driving in.
Kind of. It’s more calm and waits for more rain accumulating to activate but when it does, it wipes in a regular matter.

My only criticism is that the II sensitivity should really be I and there should be another more sensitive level.

However it’s still performing adequately to my satisfaction as far as wipers go.
Not for me. Auto Wipe now waits so long to initiate that I consider it completely inadequate. And when it does finally wipe, and the rain continues, it waits for too long to wipe again. This is the case for both settings.

When Auto Wipe was introduced a few months ago in the EAP cars I considered its performance adequate most of the time. Based on my experience over the past two days I consider it inadequate all of the time.

I am confident Tesla will fix it. I am happy to have the very significant EAP improvements!

So I guess I must be one of the few with a poor 2018.10.4 review.

Vehicle now ping-ponging a lot on motorways - it was always rock solid previously and I never understood people who complained about that or compared WP2 adversely to AP1. I thought wow, AP1 must be amazing! But this is so bad I had to disengage a few times, and this is motorways, pretty straight easy stuff.

Also following a truck on a motorway, it just started drifting over a lane line until I caught it. strange, I looked down to confirm AS was actually on!

THen there is the slowing down to low speeds, for no apparrent reason. Only on local roads, but happening on roads I've been on 100s of times with no problem.

Windscreen clear and not raining so not linked to the other issue I've read.... maybe because I live in UK? Is there calibration required with this one?

cheers
Shane

We did a lot of test drives on 2018.10.4 and 2018.6.1 this weekend. While 2018.10.4 was a great improvement overall, we actually found it regressed in a couple of areas. There were some tight 15 mph turns that 2018.6.1 could handle without problem but 2018.10.4 would just continue on and cross the double yellow lines. Also, we found that when going through an intersection while following a car, 2018.6.1 had no problems but 2018.10.4 would consistently dive to the left turn lane. 2018.6.1 would also dive to the left turn lane if there was no lead car present but for the past few releases, it's been able to make that intersection without problems if there was a lead car.

I spent about an hour yesterday using AP on 2 lane hwys and in town. Overall it's working great but I also spotted a couple things that may or may not have been present previously.

One thing I've disliked about AP is not being able to use it more on two lane highways, which I drive mostly in my area. I can't use it much because the speed cap of 5 over the limit for auto steer means I'm a rolling road block. The only time I use it in these areas is when I'm stuck behind cars going slower than this limit.

However, yesterday I was in a town on a road with 45 mph limit following a car and I noticed when I engaged it was capping me at 80 mph, I got excited and cranked it up to 85 which it also allowed. It behaves this same way later in the drive about 30 miles away in another town. Is this a new glitch? I got really excited, my daughter was cracking up.

The other issue I notice with AP is driving down city street with parallel parking. If there is a long stretch with no cars parked the Tesla will want to center itself between center line and curb which is fine until there is a parked car.

AP isn't meant for either of these use cases so not complaining, just pointing out behavior. Now only if my wife would let me drive more, she is my human auto pilot and is terrified of AP.

I spent about an hour yesterday using AP on 2 lane hwys and in town. Overall it's working great but I also spotted a couple things that may or may not have been present previously.

One thing I've disliked about AP is not being able to use it more on two lane highways, which I drive mostly in my area. I can't use it much because the speed cap of 5 over the limit for auto steer means I'm a rolling road block. The only time I use it in these areas is when I'm stuck behind cars going slower than this limit.

However, yesterday I was in a town on a road with 45 mph limit following a car and I noticed when I engaged it was capping me at 80 mph, I got excited and cranked it up to 85 which it also allowed. It behaves this same way later in the drive about 30 miles away in another town. Is this a new glitch? I got really excited, my daughter was cracking up.

The other issue I notice with AP is driving down city street with parallel parking. If there is a long stretch with no cars parked the Tesla will want to center itself between center line and curb which is fine until there is a parked car.

AP isn't meant for either of these use cases so not complaining, just pointing out behavior. Now only if my wife would let me drive more, she is my human auto pilot and is terrified of AP.
The centering is what I noticed and I wish it would do what it used to do, and align with the 'center line' more, when there's two lanes. But it's definitely a hard 'AI' choice to make as to when it's a real 'wider lane' to use (center on) and when it's the "right side is 'extra space that should be left to itself' space" as you show.

OK. Here's my second short video on Swiss roads with firmware version 2018.10.4.
It shows AP making a challenging intersection. Before 2018.10.4 it only made it through when it could use a car in front to follow.

This particular intersection is very wide (for a Swiss city intersection), goes slightly to the left, lacks of lane markings in this direction and has a bicycle path separating to the right at the other side. With 2018.10.4 AP handles it like a boss, even completely ignores the car in front which takes a wider approach to the right!

For comparison I added footage of the same intersection on 2017.50.3 and 2018.6.1.

Drove from Ontario to Santa Monica and back today without taking control of it once, freeway changes and all (I did use lane change to position it to the freeway I wanted, for clarity). First time I’ve been able to do that. Other than being bugged to hold the steering wheel every minute or whatever it is, it’s almost perfect. Actually, way better than a lot of human drivers I saw along the way ;)

agree did san diego to riverside, had to only intervene once which was amazing.

Reactions: MXWing
So I guess I must be one of the few with a poor 2018.10.4 review.

Vehicle now ping-ponging a lot on motorways - it was always rock solid previously and I never understood people who complained about that or compared WP2 adversely to AP1. I thought wow, AP1 must be amazing! But this is so bad I had to disengage a few times, and this is motorways, pretty straight easy stuff.

Also following a truck on a motorway, it just started drifting over a lane line until I caught it. strange, I looked down to confirm AS was actually on!

THen there is the slowing down to low speeds, for no apparrent reason. Only on local roads, but happening on roads I've been on 100s of times with no problem.

cheers
Shane

Must be us UK people. Mine appears a bit better but not anywhere near as must as others report. Maybe american roads are just 'easier' for autopilot.

This update is incredible. A far cry from ~8 months ago when AP2 was worse than AP1. It handles a wide variety of driving conditions better than AP1. That being said it has been reported that AP1 can handle hill crests now.

This update requires much fewer interventions than AP1 or prior AP2 updates. AP2 generally seemed better than AP1 at on ramping and then making multiple auto lane changes to the left. Now it is competently handling lane changes during a turn, which is a first. Auto lane change on a significant turn is awkward with all prior AP versions. It pauses significantly and/or takes forever to merge. Often had to cancel the auto lane change and take over. Now it handles turning auto lane changes competently.

Overall the driving experience is really luxurious. The driving with AP2 and X characteristsics make for an amazing drive. So smooth, calm and relaxing.

There were some who claimed that it is the case. I think I even saw here in a thread someone claimed who made a trip and AP took 3 times the right lane when interstate lanes splitted.

Yeah, I don't put much faith in what people claim on TMC, especially a new feature like that would be. :)

If enabled, it would be headline news, boldly stated in the release notes, not slipped in the back door.

I like the video. Wouldn't have trusted AP in that case due to past failures. Hey, maybe that one WAS slipped in without notice! ;)

Yeah, I don't put much faith in what people claim on TMC, especially a new feature like that would be. :)

If enabled, it would be headline news, boldly stated in the release notes, not slipped in the back door.

I like the video. Wouldn't have trusted AP in that case due to past failures. Hey, maybe that one WAS slipped in without notice! ;)

I don't quite agree with you on the "slipped in" as the neural net update also wasn't mention in the release notes and that was a huge improvement.

I think I saw one other behaviour what's kind a preparation thingy for off-ramp on-ramp (maybe using ADAS tiles). While on Autopilot the car did break significantly on an off-rampt with a following 270° curve down to a speed where it was able to handle the oncoming tight turn. On another occasion with a similar tight turn but not an off- or on-ramp the car didn't break as early and so I had to step in or it likely wouldn't have made it on itself.

Oh and I had my hands on the steering wheel all the time but it began to turn away from the cones so early I was confident it will make it.