Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Version 7.1 AP Hand on Wheel Sensing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Typical Tesla. Just like they didn't end any other debate on this forum in the past. If enough people complain they'll release a statement, but the truth is that Mr. Clown is correct. This is annoying, but you really should have your hands on the wheel, at least lightly. And if with a light touch there is no nag, then while this is restrictive, it does make sense.
I typically rest my hands on my legs, lightly touching the wheel. I can grip and turn the wheel in a split second (and yes, I already had to do it to avoid a collision). But I haven't yet found a comfortable position that applies a constant pressure.

I typically rest my hands on my legs, lightly touching the wheel. I can grip and turn the wheel in a split second (and yes, I already had to do it to avoid a collision). But I haven't yet found a comfortable position that applies a constant pressure.

When I'm holding the wheel, I drive with my left elbow on the door armrest and my left index finger and thumb resting/circling the steering wheel above the left scroll wheel.

Though to be fair, that's how I drove my previous car too without AP, so it just feels natural.

Now when I'm not holding the wheel, both hands in my lap. Though in turns or near cars I sometimes place a thumb on the bottom of the wheel to make sure AP doesn't kill me.

- - - Updated - - -

Just thinking the same thing. Why can't we just ask someone??

Email service and ask them. Though they may need to get in touch with engineering. Which needs to get in touch with PR. Which needs to get in touch with their lawyers. Who need to figure out the proper response to your easy question and pass it back to PR and back to engineering and back to the SvC, so then you'll get your response in about 6-8 months just in time for v7.2!

I kid, I kid.

Email service and ask them. Though they may need to get in touch with engineering. Which needs to get in touch with PR. Which needs to get in touch with their lawyers. Who need to figure out the proper response to your easy question and pass it back to PR and back to engineering and back to the SvC, so then you'll get your response in about 6-8 months just in time for v7.2!
Far more likely you'll just get a wrong answer. Tesla loves to do that. Some person who has no real clue as to the topic at hand will just answer as if they do because they heard a rumour around the water cooler at some point...

Today I received my first nag ever, updating to 7.1 during the day. The nag was in stop and go congestion, at around 20-30mph on a 55mph expressway.

I nearly exclusively use AP in stop and go congestion, with my hands completely off the wheel. When traffic clears such that I can drive above ~30mph, I turn off AP and drive manually. With such twice-daily use, I haven't had a nag in 2.5 months.

So today, I was mildly disappointed to have to look up from my phone for 2 seconds to jiggle the steering wheel. If it happens every minute or two, that would get old quick. I was only in congestion for a minute or two after the nag - and I didn't receive another one in that time.

It is my very strong opinion that using AP without a hand on the wheel, in addition to being plain misuse, is dangerous to the occupants of the car and surrounding traffic. I understand that there is also a new check that prohibits AP if no one is in the driver's seat as well, and I'd put this check in the same category.

I guess if it's important to you to be able to drive without holding the wheel at all, or for that matter, being in the driver's seat, then this update may disappoint you.

You'll be shocked to know that many times I don't have any hands on the wheel and I'm either not driving a Tesla or don't have AP on.

I have the opposite opinion of you. If I see see someone driving down the road with hands at 10 and 2 and get out of the damn way as quickly as possible, because clearly it's taking all their concentration just to keep that thing going straight.

It's time to clamp a couple-pound weight to the steering wheel with sufficient inertia to be picked up by the torque-sensing of the wheel when it moves. Or build a small device attached to the wheel with an electric motor and small weight to "jiggle" the wheel at regular intervals. Anyone want to fund such a product? :wink:

It's time to clamp a couple-pound weight to the steering wheel with sufficient inertia to be picked up by the torque-sensing of the wheel when it moves. Or build a small device attached to the wheel with an electric motor and small weight to "jiggle" the wheel at regular intervals. Anyone want to fund such a product? :wink:

You only need about 5 ounces hanging off the wheel to prevent the "hold wheel" nag from appearing.