Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vibration in steering wheel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone notice your steering wheel really vibrates at highway speeds? I only noticed this when it was in for service a few times for the shudder issue. From researching it seems man up on the model S had had a steering wheel vibration but haven't seen any discussions for the X. Apparently the main office has no solution for my problem and nothing can be done. I've had he front tires replaced as well. It is really annoying to have to always use AP 1 on the highway because I don't like feeling the vibrations and it isn't road transfer either. My wife says it is worse now and this is what happens when one complains. 120k+ car and I am sorry.

Anyone else have vibrations?

Reactions: davidc18
Vibration in the steering wheel can also be caused by an improperly balanced front wheel/tire combo. If the vibration is in the seat and you feel it through your arse, it's most likely the rear wheels that need it. These are especially noticeable at highway speeds.

Two wheel alignments by the Service Center. Still have vibration in the steering wheel.

My vibration problem remains unresolved and the Service Center has little interest in further troubleshooting.

It really is a perplexing problem. My X is in the 3XXX vin range. My X has been in the service center many times from delivery May 2016 but accepted the other issues from Falcon doors to air noise in windows, door lock failure to charge port replacements.. However the latest started around Nov 2016 with the shudder on acceleration. They replaced the front axels etc... the shudder was better but not completely gone and unfortunately after going back in many times for it, the vibration in the steering wheel became very apparent. They replaced the front tires and that still didn't solve the problem. I just got it back a few days ago and the problem is probably worse. I'm told that no fix exists and other X's have this so HQ says "in specs". I tested a demo X on local street surface and felt a vibration so that is how they concluded it is with them all. My vibration is much worse on the highway at highway speeds and unfortunately didn't take the demo on the highway to see if the vibration was as bad as mine. When I'm holding the steering wheel it seems like I can feel the vibration rotate through the steering wheel. I have to drive with AP 1 on the highway or else it would drive my crazy. Out of everything I've had wrong with my X, the vibration is a real problem and very frustrating as apparently I can do nothing about it. I love my X but now hate driving it (mind boggling to think like that).

Also after my last pickup a few days ago, the shudder problem now seems to be increasing! (Should have never brought it in (wrong thinking I know but that seems to happen a lot).

I also own a model S (2016) and love it. It had very little to none vibration that I wouldn't complain about, so I know what "vibration" feels like.

So the question is, perhaps everyone has vibration in the steering wheel and you aren't sensitive and perhaps mine got worse with all the times I brought it in with them trying to solve it and they really have no idea how to solve it.

I just wish I could find someone who would acknowledge the problem and give a solution as solutions have to exist for all problems.

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby and MS16
Unfortunately, it isn't in the seat. See my previous post...
I got that from your first post actually. I was simply differentiating the difference in feel between front wheel imbalance and rear wheel imbalance. It sounds downright terrible. Sorry they can't seem to find a fix. Just curious though if you've asked them to rebalance the wheels. I'm sure you're aware but alignments are not the same.

March 2016 delivered S90D...pre facelift. Never had any vibration issues for 14 months until just recently.

I've had alignment done 2x, tires balanced 3x and even purchased 2 brand new 21" contact contisport 5's on the front. At speeds from 70kph and upwards it feels like a slight vibration and gets progressively worst as one gets above 110-120kph.starts to feel like a front suspension issue, bearings etc. Checked at SC and none of those issues. Getting quite annoying now having to drive the car and wince every time I go over 70.

I'm at a loss...other than perhaps the wheels themselves maybe the culprit? Warped? Didn't detect any hopping. And for brand new and balanced tires on the front, surprised to feel any vibration at all.

My kids also tell me they can feel more 'bumpiness' at highway speeds...as if the rear are also out. But again all 4 tires at 0.00/0.00 balanced perfectly.

Love and hate my Tesla right now. :(

• Informative
March 2016 delivered S90D...pre facelift. Never had any vibration issues for 14 months until just recently.

I've had alignment done 2x, tires balanced 3x and even purchased 2 brand new 21" contact contisport 5's on the front. At speeds from 70kph and upwards it feels like a slight vibration and gets progressively worst as one gets above 110-120kph.starts to feel like a front suspension issue, bearings etc. Checked at SC and none of those issues. Getting quite annoying now having to drive the car and wince every time I go over 70.

I'm at a loss...other than perhaps the wheels themselves maybe the culprit? Warped? Didn't detect any hopping. And for brand new and balanced tires on the front, surprised to feel any vibration at all.

My kids also tell me they can feel more 'bumpiness' at highway speeds...as if the rear are also out. But again all 4 tires at 0.00/0.00 balanced perfectly.

Love and hate my Tesla right now. :(
At least it's still under warranty. Can't the service center technicians feel it? I would think it would be up to them to figure it out or replace your whole suspension if need be.

I believe I have a bit of this shudder/vibration also.

At first I thought it was road transfer (like from the bumps on the road at highway speeds to alert you when changing lanes unexpectedly). However I tested the road transfer bumps and it felt like nothing coming through the steering wheel and column.

60ish miles into a new Model X, and it already spent a week at the SC a couple of days after I took delivery for a non-working AC...not sure what to do, possibly live with it for now?

At least it's still under warranty. Can't the service center technicians feel it? I would think it would be up to them to figure it out or replace your whole suspension if need be.

It's in service today. They are retesting and balancing all tires...road test...moving front to back...road test...trying an extra set of 21's onsite ..road test. Essentially to find out if it's one or more specific wheels or tires causing this. Failing which they will diagnose cool suspension and tie rods, axle, control arms.

• Informative
It's in service today. They are retesting and balancing all tires...road test...moving front to back...road test...trying an extra set of 21's onsite ..road test. Essentially to find out if it's one or more specific wheels or tires causing this. Failing which they will diagnose cool suspension and tie rods, axle, control arms.

Ok after testing, they finally removed tires off the rims and spun them independently. One rim on front passenger was warped and small dent on inner side...likely a pothole. Phew! At least not suspension! For now moved it to the rear and I guess looking for 1 21" turbine now!!

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18 and Cowby
Ok after testing, they finally removed tires off the rims and spun them independently. One rim on front passenger was warped and small dent on inner side...likely a pothole. Phew! At least not suspension! For now moved it to the rear and I guess looking for 1 21" turbine now!!

Update: It was more than just a tire. Ended up replacing both my front half shafts, new engine mounts, new front bearings...they kept the car for 10 days. Got it back and still has a very slight vibration with pressure on the steering at 50mph and higher so at this point still at a loss. But acceptable.

After a few days of driving there is still a slight noticeable vibration but more from the rear I'd say. And more so 50mph and up. Could be rear drive unit as the differential is tied into it and creates a hum or a slight vibration when not in perfect order.

Again all wheels straight, balanced and all tires same. Hmmm....