Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIDEO - dishonest price tricks on the Tesla website

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you F-ing kidding me? That is clear as day.

tesla2.JPG

I don't have an issue with their After Savings Discount including any Federal Rebates you could get and if you are logged in ; also counting any current State rebates as well.
BUT the whole gas savings inclusion is a dishonest practice and should not be continued.
Electricity costs per state vary greatly, as does other factors when it comes to paying or not paying for charging vs. gasoline.

I would not get worked up about it though, chances are it will be going away in a few months anyway. In January the federal rebate is gone, most state rebates are gone and including only gas would be silly when selling against other electric cars that will still qualify for a $7500 federal rebate.

i don't really see it as deceitful. In contrary i appreciate that they provide the two price options so you can better understand the true cost of ownership. I mean its clear straight forward allowing you to click back and forth between the two pricing options.

While everyone knows they do it now and they allow you to look at the real number easier its still bad practice. I get that they want to highlight that you wont spend money on gas but that doesn't reduce the cars cost, it just saves on operational costs. They really just need a different marketing strategy with perhaps a whole section of the site showing how much lower operation costs are for a Tesla. When you add up fuel, oil changes, and more frequent brake pads it can be significant. If they put some interactive sliders for people to adjust yearly mileage or commute info in it could showcase real savings and be a more truthful marketing tactic.

Reactions: APotatoGod
i don't really see it as deceitful. In contrary i appreciate that they provide the two price options so you can better understand the true cost of ownership. I mean its clear straight forward allowing you to click back and forth between the two pricing options.
right. I don't see the problem. To me it is clear.
The fact that the OP noticed the difference is telling me that he was not deceived and knows the real price. I guess I am just having a stupid brain day and missing something.

Reactions: brkaus
Agree with Adam ; a section to the site should be created highlighting benefits, potential savings for owners.
Sliders with adjusting how many miles you drive, what you currently pay for gas and how much you pay on your utility bill including delivery charges for electricity if they want to really be helpful/educational. Plus of course tout the no gas, no oil, all of the reduced maintenance costs, added time, long warranty on the battery and power train, the expansive supercharger network, etc...
Without a dealer network expecting potential buyers to be educated from outside sources instead of Telsa's own website does not make much sense to me.

To backtrack a little from my prior statement, I do not find it dishonest but
I find the current tactic not well done ; reminds me of the airline industry pricing which is not an industry model I would want to emulate if I were Tesla.
If you were looking to buy a new furnace or air conditioner you would want to know your actual cost not some hypothetical cost based on efficiency savings that I may or may not experience.

Last edited:
And can we compare this with other cars? Where the price on the sticker is known only as the price you should never use?

If we did that ; would not be a favorable comparison for Tesla.
Other cars you can buy for less than shown on the sticker ; where Tesla you are not saving any and the $1200 destination charge is not included in the pricing online but always added!

Destination charges are never part of MSRP and no dealer ever gets rid of them.

Was in response to the post above who compared to dealership window stickers and Destination charges are listed on those.

My point is if Tesla wants to truly sell to everyone they need to be a little more aware that consumers could be confused on the current way their pricing is presented online. Just cause you or I did enough research to not be confused does not make it a wise decision on Telsa's part. Currently their pricing keeps them in the Luxury Car segment, having lower pricing after potential savings does not change that.

It bothers me cause I live in a high energy cost state and my electricity provider does not offer any overnight hour type rates or anything else. My cost for charging at home is still less than gasoline costs but not the huge savings other people in different states/situations may experience. Add in paying $1500 for a home charger/240 outlet to be installed and in the first year the savings are non-existent for me.

If we did that ; would not be a favorable comparison for Tesla.
Other cars you can buy for less than shown on the sticker ; where Tesla you are not saving any and the $1200 destination charge is not included in the pricing online but always added!
So that price is actually a lie right?

Let me know when Tesla tries to charge you for undercoating, or $800 for nitrogen filled tires as Dealers have tried to pull on me in the past.

• Informative
I like their pricing model, love their cars, their value provided ; I don't like the practice of showing you potential after savings which do not apply to all buyers as the default on their website the way they present it. When you first go to the site you see the after savings cost, that should be reversed.

Just is not good marketing practice IMO. The actual pricing you are required to pay for the car should be the default.

Was in response to the post above who compared to dealership window stickers and Destination charges are listed on those.

My point is if Tesla wants to truly sell to everyone they need to be a little more aware that consumers could be confused on the current way their pricing is presented online. Just cause you or I did enough research to not be confused does not make it a wise decision on Telsa's part. Currently their pricing keeps them in the Luxury Car segment, having lower pricing after potential savings does not change that.

It bothers me cause I live in a high energy cost state and my electricity provider does not offer any overnight hour type rates or anything else. My cost for charging at home is still less than gasoline costs but not the huge savings other people in different states/situations may experience. Add in paying $1500 for a home charger/240 outlet to be installed and in the first year the savings are non-existent for me.

I read your comment as Tesla doesnt include the destination fee, which is true but neither does anyone else. In general we agree with one another. I dont have a problem with the real price of the car but I dont like the savings price thing they do. If it was just tax incentives thats cool but gas savings is not a savings to the cost of the car.

I too am in a high gas price area with a long commute. I average 410-420 a month in fuel costs for my commute. I love my current car (2016 Chevy SS Sedan w/ manual) but I'm wasting her talents and a lot of money on a commute. Hence the M3P purchase. The speed helps me cope with the loss.

This is about how Tesla tries to get you to see the small number while still paying the big one. This "after potential savings" thing needs to disappear from the website.

Yes, I agree that this is a marketing trick, but the only thing I would prefer is that the purchase price (Including delivery & doc fees) appears first, and the price after savings is given as a footnote. When you actually start the ordering process, all the pricing is very clear and unambiguous.

After looking at the price of M3 SR+ RWD 38,990 +1,200 (dest+doc) - 1,875 (tax credit) = $38,315
I am somewhat shocked that the price of 2019 Camry XLE V6 with driver assist and navigation packages is $37,885 that is ONLY $430 less than Tesla. Accord Touring 2.0T - $36,880, and this goes on for top trims with features of all major midsize sedan offers. So, yes, I think it is important that Tesla makes you somehow aware of the fact that when you include real annual savings of some $500-$1500 a year on gas, their Tesla M3 is cheaper than non-luxury family sedans.

Add in paying $1500 for a home charger/240 outlet to be installed and in the first year the savings are non-existent for me.

I spent $225 on 14-50 outlet on a new 50A breaker installation in my garage and $35 (+tax) on a Tesla 14-50 adapter. I find it unnecessary to spend $500 + install on the tesla charger unless you have 2+ tesla cars. Also, if you want to save even more, please try NOT to say "Tesla" when talking to an electric company about 14-50 installation.

• Informative