Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Video of a Model S being stolen in the UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wouldn't have helped in this case as the thieves used a relay which makes the owners keyfob talk to the car as if the keyfob was beside the driver door.
Ah, yes, a relay attack -- so the solution is to store the key at a substantial distance from the car, or (better yet), keep the fob in a RF-blocking container such as a small metal box?. The longer-key-length fob is still a good idea for the decryption attack that has been successful in Europe, no? A bluetooth tile is going to be useless for tracking.

Ah, yes, a relay attack -- so the solution is to store the key at a substantial distance from the car, or (better yet), keep the fob in a RF-blocking container such as a small metal box?. The longer-key-length fob is still a good idea for the decryption attack that has been successful in Europe, no? A bluetooth tile is going to be useless for tracking.
Yep, RF-blocking container or PIN to drive or turning passive entry off would have thwarted these thieves.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Wouldn't have helped in this case as the thieves used a relay which makes the owners keyfob talk to the car as if the keyfob was beside the driver door.

As I understand the hack, they still have to decrypt the old 40-bit key to relay which is not hard to do with a "rainbow table" of sorts. If so, the 80-bit encryption seems like it would help immensely. Do I not understand this hack correctly?

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
As I understand the hack, they still have to decrypt the old 40-bit key to relay which is not hard to do with a "rainbow table" of sorts. If so, the 80-bit encryption seems like it would help immensely. Do I not understand this hack correctly?
This particular “hack” doesn’t do any decoding. It is amplifying/relaying the existing codes.

The 40 v 80 bit hack that used the rainbow table was effectively making a clone of the key that could be used anywhere.

Reactions: MP3Mike and Jhelin
This particular “hack” doesn’t do any decoding. It is amplifying/relaying the existing codes.

The 40 v 80 bit hack that used the rainbow table was effectively making a clone of the key that could be used anywhere.

They may still be trying to determine the details. But in looking at one site - Hackers Can Steal a Tesla Model S in Seconds by Cloning Its Key Fob - it seems to imply the 80-bit decryption is required and more problematic. No?

...They can then run that pair of codes through their hard drive's table to find the underlying secret key—which lets them spoof a radio signal that unlocks the car, then starts the engine....That whole attack chain, the researchers say, is possible thanks to the Pektron key fob system's relatively weak encryption....Based on the research presented by this group, we worked with our supplier to make our key fobs more secure by introducing more robust cryptography for Model S in June 2018.

@mods Thanks for merging.

I think the message is pretty clear, use that PIN, how ever old school it may sound, it works.
And strongly consider turning off Passive Entry.

its really a dance of security vs convenience, same as what we witnessed in the smartphone industry.

Reactions: .jg.