Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN Assignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm i had a VIN assigned this morning and now it's gone! I configured on 12/24 so i'm not too concerned yet, but i'm wondering if they are shuffling VIN's around after they are "assigned"
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I was assigned a VIN on 12/22, but when they contacted me for delivery instructions and learned I didn't want the car until the end of January they re-assigned the car to someone else and said a VIN would be provided later in January.

Configured 12/7; was just assigned VIN #1981. Ready for pickup in Fremont! (My plan was to take the factory tour, and drive the car back down to LA.) Yay!

Update: Out of an abundance of chutzpah, I asked my DS if there was any possibility of switching the VIN to a slightly different number (my SO's birth year, which would have been really cool). They said my desired VIN was not yet assigned to a car, but that they were not able to make or request a change of VIN. But then (for unrelated reasons) I had to switch my plans to take delivery in LA instead of Fremont, and the VIN got immediately switched to #2022. Perhaps I could just keep switching cities until I get the VIN I'm looking for? :D

As it stands, I'll take delivery in Marina del Rey on Wed 1/3. The EV tax credit is intact for 2018, so there is no pressing need to take delivery this month. (And I'd rather have a license plate sticker that's a year newer anyway.) Can't wait!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
Just left Gilroy after meeting John. He and family just pulled into the SC with their new fabulous looking MCR M3, fresh off the lot from Fremont delivery. Thought I wanted white... Said he flew in from southern Calif. to pick up and are enjoying a bit of roadtrip home. Vin was 2288.

Just left Gilroy after meeting John. He and family just pulled into the SC with their new fabulous looking MCR M3 from Fremont delivery. Thought I wanted white... Said he flew in from southern Calif. to pick up. Vin was 2288.
Any feedback on how many other deliveries were happening? Are Fremont and Marina both delivering hundreds per day, or just dozens?
Not sure if anyone on the outside knows.

Any feedback on how many other deliveries were happening? Are Fremont and Marina both delivering hundreds per day, or just dozens?
Not sure if anyone on the outside knows.

Didn't get a chance to ask about his delivery. John was super nice and didn't mind letting me sit in his driver seat, in fact also suggested I sit in the back. I've seen the Model 3 on a few occasions even up close but never had the opportunity and have been mostly concerned about comparing the seat adjustments and comfort to our Model S. I love all the adjustments we have on our S seat and was glad to see on the PUP package at least they are all still there. The seat itself felt softer (cushier) than our S (we have ventilated leather seats which feel firmer but those aren't available anymore and the material now may all be the same, not sure).

After talking a bit he mentioned he had just driven over from Fremont (he has had Model Ss since 2013) so I really appreciated chatting with him and seeing the car inside. It does feel spacious and I'm kind of liking the glass roof. Was not in it long enough to form too many opinions. The color looks great with the black seats and left me waivering again.

BTW from Fremont to Gilroy (flat road) he said he was showing 221 Wh/miles which really impressed my husband.

• Informative
Reactions: dc_h
Just checked my account and Vin is assigned.

Online Reservation 3/31
Invited: 12/22
Configured: 12/22
Current owner X90
First delivery call: TBD
Delivery: TBD
VIN: 159*

What was your reservation number? (I am not sure if you can publish it here). I also made my reservation on 3/31 but, if I remember correctly, there were about 100,000 reservations that day.

Online reservation 3/31
Invited and configured: 12/14
Current owner (2x Model S)
Financed through Tesla and Trade-In done online
Vin assigned: 12/21 22xx
Scheduled Delivery: 12/31 Marina Del Rey

Model 3 Midnight Silver w/18's

Crossing fingers that all goes well and 12/31 is a reality.

Picked up my Model 3 Today!! The process was very odd, I really only had communication from the Inside Sales group in Vegas. He was always responsive and I was able to confirm our appointment for today (Sunday) on Friday. But that was the end of it. I did not have an MVPA beforehand or anything.

So I wasn't 100% confident that when we arrived in Marina Del Rey today that the car would be ready.

Luckily, the stars aligned and they were waiting for us and had the car all ready to go. Paperwork was quick and I simply wrote a check for the down payment and that was it.

We then went into the showroom? delivery area where all the are cars nicely lit and detailed. Row of new S, X, and 3's for owners to walk around and get acquainted with their new car. I was able to see most of the other Model 3 colors and they all look amazing.

We went over the car for about 30-40 minutes and even for 5+ year Model S owners there were a number of differences in the UX to get used to.

The actual delivery experience at Marina Del Rey was very nicely done, efficient, responsive and memorable.

Last edited:
Picked up my Model 3 Today!! The process was very odd, I really only had communication from the Inside Sales group in Vegas. He was always responsive and I was able to confirm our appointment for today (Sunday) on Friday. But that was the end of it. I did not have an MVPA beforehand or anything.

So I wasn't 100% confident that when we arrived in Marina Del Rey today that the car would be ready.

Luckily, the stars aligned and they were waiting for us and had the car all ready to go. Paperwork was quick and I simply wrote a check for the down payment and that was it.

The actual delivery experience at Marina Del Rey was very nicely done, efficient, responsive and memorable.

Did you have to have your address on the check you wrote for down payment?

Did you have to have your address on the check you wrote for down payment?

I wrote a personal check so our address was on there, but I didn't think she checked for that. She asked for payment via check or e-debit, and I said either is fine with us. She said just write a check and so I did.

Here she is, Midnight Silver w/ 18 Aero. T-Sportline 19" silver turbines on order.

IMG_6249.jpg

Until what time last night were they delivering cars at Marina Del Rey?
My appointment was at 6:15pm. We got out of there at 7:30. I didn’t see any other Model 3s delivered after 6:15 - although they had told me I had the option of picking up at 6:45 as well.

Attachments

• B14E915A-80C2-4D50-8CE0-FDF63830E819.jpeg
    B14E915A-80C2-4D50-8CE0-FDF63830E819.jpeg
    454.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 8DAE0A86-12E1-4F2B-93E8-BDDDA7B8EA94.jpeg
    8DAE0A86-12E1-4F2B-93E8-BDDDA7B8EA94.jpeg
    361.5 KB · Views: 84