Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VINs of cars who lost back bumper cover?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Florida, if you are trading in a vehicle, it is possible to have the plate transferred to your new vehicle so that you can drive off with the license plate assigned to your new vehicle. No temporary tag needed. I've done this several times when purchasing new vehicles. It's fairly standard practice in Florida.

Here's a video on how to remove the rear bumper cover:

And here's one on eBay:

2018 TESLA MODEL 3 REAR BUMPER COVER | eBay

What strikes me is that the cover is fastened with at least two 8.8 flange bolts on top. How the heck did those break?!

screenshot.jpg

M3_bumper_cover.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and Adm
Well now that’s impressive. I wonder how that is possible.
In Florida electronic proof of insurance works too. Once a dealer submits the registration data the vehicles is registered, and in a database that police have. As a result in a traffic stop or accident the driver need not have a physical registration or insurance car. Both of these are in electronic form. For example I no longer carry a physical insurance card although I do have a digital copy on my phone as I do for insurance. When going out of state one can easily print physical copies.

why didn't the remnants of the bumper stay attached to the top? It seems odd to lose the whole thing.
What do you mean ‘remnants of the bumpers stay attached to the top’? Have you seen some photos other than the two Twitter pics? Do we know there are no remnants?

My working theory right now is that there are indeed remnants of (broken) bumper cover plastic around the bolts on top, but if you’ve got conflicting info - do post!

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Im curious, in Calif we get our new vehicle plates maybe a month or more after delivery....up to that point we have a paper plate taped in our window. The only exception to that is a used car and a plate is attached from the previous owner. Do Florida and New Jersey give out license plates at the time of delivery? Seems odd to me......both these cars have license plates on a brand new vehicle.

It's not odd at all for different states to do different things.

Hard to even call what CA does "paper plates". That term is meant more for states that have actual temp registration that's a big rectangle of paper in the license plate area, or taped in the rear window, as opposed to our tiny-plastic-pounch-on-front-windscreen-with-scrap-of-paper proof of temporary registration.

Starting Jan 1, 2019, however, California will join the other states in requiring an actually visible paper plate with temp reg information, expiration, etc, 'securely affixed'. I don't think the program has been finalized yet, in terms of materials and location, but I suspect it'll look like most other states.