Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VINs of cars who lost back bumper cover?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screenshot_20180813-171459_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20180813-171441_Chrome.jpg

Wow that is just odd, I wonder what VIN number are these model 3 happening to. Hopefully it's an isolated incident.

I probably don't have to worry about this since I'm in California and we literally have no rain for the last 5 months. (But our entire state is on fire like literally tho ugh)

Hmmm. I’m supposed to take delivery in less than 2 weeks and my IDA has stopped responding when she was super responsive previously. I wonder if a major recall is coming or something. There was another thread about multiple delivery date delays at marina del Rey.

• Disagree
Reactions: juanmedina
The story that I got from reddit is this: The issue is when driving through standing water. There is a fabric material in the wheel well that saturates with water and tears. This somehow funnels more water up and in front of the rear bumper, causing it to act like a parachute and tearing it off.

Are Tesla Model 3 Rear Bumpers Falling Off In The Rain?

FROM THE REDDIT LOST BUMPER THREAD
"A little research says that instead of using a plastic under panel they are using some sort of fiber one (note that Jeep is doing the same thing now,"

"BMW uses some type of paper fiber or cardboard type material for their undercarriage."

"Ford focus belly pan is fiber, looks like compacted flannel, wheel wells are same in other cars I've seen"

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tracksyde