Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vinyl license plate sticker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is that printed on 3M High Definition Reflective License Plate Sheeting Series 6700? Also is it covered with
3M Digital License Plate Clear Protective Film 9097? If so this would mirror the exact look of the original plate.

License Plate Materials & Manufacturing for Correctional Facilities | 3M United States

3M™ Precision Plate System | 3M United States

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/887858O/hd-license-plate-sheeting-series-6700-pb.pdf
afaict, the 3m material is NOT laser compatable ....

So. ..... how do you like my totally illegal, color laser compatible, vinyl, non_photochemically reactive, stick-on, homemade, front license plate. ...
:D
View attachment 288135
View attachment 288137
Yea, the guy who makes these up in Canada with shipping wants a $100. No way I'd pay that much if I could do it myself for under $5. And it was fun, too.
Maybe on the next iteration, I'll print one with a nice Tesla frame.
;)
Details on how you did this? Materials, printer, etc. I want to do this as well!

Hill, where and how did you print this? I can scan and photoshop my plate as needed but I'm not sure where to print. Thanks.

So. ..... how do you like my totally illegal, color laser compatible, vinyl, non_photochemically reactive, stick-on, homemade, front license plate. ...
View attachment 288135
View attachment 288137
Yea, the guy who makes these up in Canada with shipping wants a $100. No way I'd pay that much if I could do it myself for under $5. And it was fun, too.
;)

In Texas it is required a front license plates and you could get a ticket if you don't have one.
I have researched the law here and nowhere it defines the material or the requirements of the plates.

I took a picture of the actual plates and printed my first plate on regular bumper sticker vinyl in Apr 2015 , it does not fully fit in the front bubble but it will fold a little and to this date I had zero issues and still using it.
On my second with the newer facia it fits perfect, I found someone that had reflective vinyl and I got an exact replica of the plates. I was told that the material used is the same as the one used in the actual plates.

I have asked several cops and the ones that said they didn't think it was ok, changed their minds when I asked them to show me the law with the specifications such as material, reflectivity size etc. Even placement is not actually specified but it must be in front, so even inside behind the windshield is acceptable.
I am no lawyer so, what I write here is my own interpretation of the laws I found and experience, use at your discretion. :)

Reactions: Cowby and Akikiki
Reactions: gtyler
According to this site, which sells them ONLY for CA for $50, they're legal here: Tested by the California Highway Patrol of Sacramento

Claims they come with a DMV letter to put in glove box in case any cops question it. Ordered one and we'll see.. apparently improves aerodynamics so better range?

The state law authorizing a "pilot" for this is here: Bill Text - SB-1387 Vehicles: license plate pilot programs.

The seller claims that the pilot ended and it's now legal. Worst case it's BS and I'll demand $ back :)

View attachment 288135
View attachment 288137
;)
Can you provide a link to where you bought the vinyl material to print it?

Should be fine.

BTW ordered my vinyl plate last week and this week received an official letter from the DMV authorizing me to use it on the car. Can’t wait to remove that bulky, drag-inducing metal plate!!

post pictures when you get it... interesting so the letter came direct from the DMV? was there an application process to the DMV that you started? or the company you bought from started the process?

According to this site, which sells them ONLY for CA for $50, they're legal here: Tested by the California Highway Patrol of Sacramento

Claims they come with a DMV letter to put in glove box in case any cops question it. Ordered one and we'll see.. apparently improves aerodynamics so better range?

The state law authorizing a "pilot" for this is here: Bill Text - SB-1387 Vehicles: license plate pilot programs.

The seller claims that the pilot ended and it's now legal. Worst case it's BS and I'll demand $ back :)

Curious if they can do a slimmer profile so the plate isn't bent over any of the angles of the bumper. Looking at it it looks like it will be flat on the Model 3, however I have other cars with thinner bumpers that I don't want the plate to be bent on the angles like on the websites samples pictures. So the plate would have to be scaled down a little in size to look good.

post pictures when you get it... interesting so the letter came direct from the DMV? was there an application process to the DMV that you started? or the company you bought from started the process?

Curious if they can do a slimmer profile so the plate isn't bent over any of the angles of the bumper. Looking at it it looks like it will be flat on the Model 3, however I have other cars with thinner bumpers that I don't want the plate to be bent on the angles like on the websites samples pictures. So the plate would have to be scaled down a little in size to look good.
I did NOTHING. That guy who runs the website must have applied directly to DMV. So strange!!

I got mine at licenseplatewrap.com. $50, upload a copy of registration, they apply on your behalf and get the letter of approval from DMV (California). Simple, fast and looks pretty sweet!

Attachments

• LPW.jpg
    LPW.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 437
I got mine at licenseplatewrap.com. $50, upload a copy of registration, they apply on your behalf and get the letter of approval from DMV (California). Simple, fast and looks pretty sweet!
Looks really good with your black car. Currently, they only do the standard and Classic plate designs. I asked if they could also do the Kids plate (which lets you use certain symbols) and they said they would check with Sacramento CHP.

If I have to sport a front plate, for me, this is the least visually objectionable way to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: Akikiki