Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a way to make an html query to VT and get a response to a variable request. Can I send an html request for charge state for example? Kind of JSON like I guess?
And where are the html pages stored? Where is the VehicleStatus.html page stored on the host PC for example?

No. While written in Java, VT is purely a client application with an output display that is "local" to the PC. ("Local" is in quotes to the extent that you can remote the display such as X-windows with *nix or remote access to the Windows desktop.)

To my knowledge, the only time VT generates html is when you ask for the display of a trip, in which case VT drops an html page on your local drive and invokes your browser to display it. This page is basically a script that uses Google maps to render the map.

• Informative
Reactions: Jeff N
To my knowledge, the only time VT generates html is when you ask for the display of a trip, in which case VT drops an html page on your local drive and invokes your browser to display it. This page is basically a script that uses Google maps to render the map.

So when you enable the REST service where does this page come from for example? (http://192.168.1.45:9090/pages/VehicleStatus.html)

The real reason I ask is that I would like to explore getting some of the variables from the Tesla (range, charge state etc) and use them to populate devices in our home automation software (Homeseer) that supports JSON. We have a GUI that controls our house and it would be cool to include the Tesla as part of this system. I was hoping that by inspecting the code I would get some insights.

M

So when you enable the REST service where does this page come from for example? (http://192.168.1.45:9090/pages/VehicleStatus.html)

The real reason I ask is that I would like to explore getting some of the variables from the Tesla (range, charge state etc) and use them to populate devices in our home automation software (Homeseer) that supports JSON. We have a GUI that controls our house and it would be cool to include the Tesla as part of this system. I was hoping that by inspecting the code I would get some insights.

M
Actually I just found this: Tesla Model S JSON API · Apiary which explains how the Tesla API with JSON.....yay!

Actually I just found this: Tesla Model S JSON API · Apiary which explains how the Tesla API with JSON.....yay!
Glad that you found this, since that makes more sense than indirectly accessing this through VT.

Also, my apologies about my initial reply. I forgot about the experimental web services API since I never use it.

FWIW, the html for the pages you reference are internal to the VisibleTesla.jar file. If you open the file using a utility like 7zip, the files are in this subdirectory inside the jar file: VisibleTesla.jar\org\noroomattheinn\visibletesla\rest\pages\

Hi all, I've been looking for a way to download the logs that the Model S surely captures locally and/or get transmitted back to the Tesla mothership. So far, the only think I've only found that might do that is VisibleTesla.

I'm wondering how VisibleTesla gathers it's information. Is it able to tap into the historical logs on the server or car or does it have to ping the Tesla servers to pull the real time info and store that?

What happens if it misses a block of time because the app is down or the car is unresponsive because it's in a cellular/wifi deadzone?

thanks,
John

Hi all, I've been looking for a way to download the logs that the Model S surely captures locally and/or get transmitted back to the Tesla mothership. So far, the only think I've only found that might do that is VisibleTesla.

I'm wondering how VisibleTesla gathers it's information. Is it able to tap into the historical logs on the server or car or does it have to ping the Tesla servers to pull the real time info and store that?

What happens if it misses a block of time because the app is down or the car is unresponsive because it's in a cellular/wifi deadzone?

thanks,
John
Visible Tesla collects data in real time after it has been reported to Tesla. It cannot capture historical data from Tesla. If the app is not running, it won't capture the data. If the car is not reporting to Tesla (dead zone), it won't capture the data.

Visible Tesla collects data in real time after it has been reported to Tesla. It cannot capture historical data from Tesla. If the app is not running, it won't capture the data. If the car is not reporting to Tesla (dead zone), it won't capture the data.
Thanks, that's what I figured.

Is there any way to get historical logs, maybe directly from the car? Presumably the Model S stores the logs locally like the Roadster did. I'm one month and 2,700 miles into ownership and I'd love to be able to have the usage & charging stats from the beginning of ownership.

Thanks, that's what I figured.

Is there any way to get historical logs, maybe directly from the car? Presumably the Model S stores the logs locally like the Roadster did. I'm one month and 2,700 miles into ownership and I'd love to be able to have the usage & charging stats from the beginning of ownership.
Tesla does not even officially approve of third party use of the API used by VT (and others), let alone the level of access you would like. That said, there are some intrepid types who have gained this level of access but are being discrete about how they do this. They aren't active in this forum, but you might look for threads and posts by wk057 or Ingineer.

Tesla does not even officially approve of third party use of the API used by VT (and others), let alone the level of access you would like. That said, there are some intrepid types who have gained this level of access but are being discrete about how they do this. They aren't active in this forum, but you might look for threads and posts by wk057 or Ingineer.
Thanks for the pointer in the right direction. I've been able to tap into my home boiler to create an app to monitor it's status and log historical fuel consumption so I'm keen to have the same type of info from my car :)

I have used VT for over 2 years but was always disappointed that it was an application that I needed to keep running on my computer if I wanted complete data.

Recently another Tesla owner has developed a web-based app that captures all of the data all of the time.

It is still in early development (beta) but is definitely worth a try. Check it out at TeslaFi.com Tesla Model S X Data Logger
I signed up for the TeslaFi app and then realized that since it captures data all of the time, you have vampire power drain all of the time. With Visible Tesla, I can turn it on and off when I want to gather the data.

I signed up for the TeslaFi app and then realized that since it captures data all of the time, you have vampire power drain all of the time. With Visible Tesla, I can turn it on and off when I want to gather the data.
Not necessarily. It could respect the car's wishes to sleep and stay asleep. This is how VT works even if you keep it running 24/7. If the car's asleep and you open VT, there's a little sleeping Tesla picture and a button where you can force it to wake up.

The bigger concern, IMO, is the security of the web-based sites. Depending on how they're implemented, you're at a fair bit of risk because not only can you unlock the car with your login, you can also find it, start it and drive away. So you have to have a fair bit of trust that both they've implemented things how they said they did, and that they've implemented them safely. For me it's a big ask to trust a $100k vehicle to a website.

Not necessarily. It could respect the car's wishes to sleep and stay asleep. This is how VT works even if you keep it running 24/7. If the car's asleep and you open VT, there's a little sleeping Tesla picture and a button where you can force it to wake up.

The bigger concern, IMO, is the security of the web-based sites. Depending on how they're implemented, you're at a fair bit of risk because not only can you unlock the car with your login, you can also find it, start it and drive away. So you have to have a fair bit of trust that both they've implemented things how they said they did, and that they've implemented them safely. For me it's a big ask to trust a $100k vehicle to a website.
You nailed it. It's the security of the tokens that is my concern as well.

All security is relative. Unless you have downloaded the source, reviewed it thoroughly, and compiled it yourself, you can't be sure that your token is not being shared by the program (posted to a bad actor's server). The fact that the source is available for inspection does inspire (possibly false) confidence. (I have looked at the VT source and it appears to do just what it claims.)

And running it privately rather than as service on the Internet does make it a less attractive target for a third party hacking attack. (Lots of extra work with just one or two cars as the prize.)

That said, if you notice your car has gone missing, you can revoke the tokens. (Changing your Tesla password revokes all active tokens, even if they haven't expired.) Now your thief is only slightly ahead of the brute force technique of loading the car on a tow truck and stealing it that way. A nonfunctional car that is a bag of parts for which there is not much market.

All security is relative. Unless you have downloaded the source, reviewed it thoroughly, and compiled it yourself, you can't be sure that your token is not being shared by the program (posted to a bad actor's server). The fact that the source is available for inspection does inspire (possibly false) confidence. (I have looked at the VT source and it appears to do just what it claims.)

And running it privately rather than as service on the Internet does make it a less attractive target for a third party hacking attack. (Lots of extra work with just one or two cars as the prize.)

That said, if you notice your car has gone missing, you can revoke the tokens. (Changing your Tesla password revokes all active tokens, even if they haven't expired.) Now your thief is only slightly ahead of the brute force technique of loading the car on a tow truck and stealing it that way. A nonfunctional car that is a bag of parts for which there is not much market.
We know all that, we were talking about hosted apps like TeslaFi not VT.

We know all that, we were talking about hosted apps like TeslaFi not VT.

I understood that. For those owners who are not programmers, the trust factor on the developers is the same whether it is VT, TeslaFI, EVmote, or TeslaLog. The additional vulnerability for the cloud apps is that they also might allow a third party (not the developer) to easily compromise the cloud app and steal the tokens.

Additional pros and cons are that the cloud apps provide a handy way of comparing stats across a broad range of owners (eg leader boards in TeslaFi) but in exchange additional privacy is lost as personal details on travel and charging are now shared with the app provider as well as the Tesla mother ship.

I'm not advocating for one approach over another. Like most things in life, it is a risk/reward trade-off that differs for each of us.

Reactions: msnow
I understood that. For those owners who are not programmers, the trust factor on the developers is the same whether it is VT, TeslaFI, EVmote, or TeslaLog. The additional vulnerability for the cloud apps is that they also might allow a third party (not the developer) to easily compromise the cloud app and steal the tokens.

Additional pros and cons are that the cloud apps provide a handy way of comparing stats across a broad range of owners (eg leader boards in TeslaFi) but in exchange additional privacy is lost as personal details on travel and charging are now shared with the app provider as well as the Tesla mother ship.

I'm not advocating for one approach over another. Like most things in life, it is a risk/reward trade-off that differs for each of us.
When the app is local, you can be more paranoid as well. My outgoing firewall is set up to permit VT to talk to Tesla's API server(s), and my SMTP server (for Email-to-SMS notifications). That's it, all other traffic is blocked.

So even if you're not personally reviewing the code, there are additional steps you can take to help protect yourself.

When the app is local, you can be more paranoid as well. My outgoing firewall is set up to permit VT to talk to Tesla's API server(s), and my SMTP server (for Email-to-SMS notifications). That's it, all other traffic is blocked.

So even if you're not personally reviewing the code, there are additional steps you can take to help protect yourself.
What ports did you have to open to hit Tesla's API servers? Mine just works without me doing anything special so I assume it's just going out on port 80.