Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Steve841,

Just curious - what platform are you on? Windows, Mac or Linux. I ask because the Windows and Mac versions of VisibleTesla come bundled with a version of Java that is guaranteed to be compatible. You shouldn't have to do anything to guarantee compatibility with Java versions unless you're on Linux. Of course, if you're on Windows and Mac you don't have to use the bundled instance of Java, and if you don't you do need to stay on a compatible version. At the moment you have to stay on Java 1.7. Version 1.8 isn't supported (yet).

Joe

Hi Steve841,
Of course, if you're on Windows and Mac you don't have to use the bundled instance of Java, and if you don't you do need to stay on a compatible version. At the moment you have to stay on Java 1.7. Version 1.8 isn't supported (yet).

Hmmm .maybe Im confused. Im running VT on a Windows 2008 server with java 1.7. I have held off upgrading to 1.8 because of the reference earlier about it not being supported.

Hmmm .maybe Im confused. Im running VT on a Windows 2008 server with java 1.7. I have held off upgrading to 1.8 because of the reference earlier about it not being supported.

You're right, 1.8 isn't supported, but the Mac and Windows version of VisibleTesla actually have an appropriate version of 1.7 in the download. If you're using the desktop shortcut made with Make_Windows_Shortcut (see instructions here), it will automatically use the built-in copy of Java. If you simply double-click VisibleTesla.jar, it will use whatever version of Java is installed on your computer. If you take a look inside vtrunner.bat (which is used by the shortcut), you'll see that it looks for the local copy of Java 1.7 and uses it. Hope that helps.

Fine tuned my Model S over the past week and am now getting some crazy range numbers. Just kidding.
This is what I received pre-refresh
VT.jpg

And this is what I received post-refresh
VT2.jpg

Folks, just a couple of notes:
  • Reminder: I pulled 0.29.00 dues to instabilities. The best version to use if 0.28.01 which is now the current version you get when you download using the links on VisibleTesla.com
  • There are km/miles bugs in older versions. Sorry about that.
  • Instabilities in Tesla's servers (even on the pre-6 APIs) occasionally causes calls to fail. This can result in missing data, late wake-ups, missed (or late) notifications, etc. I've got a lot of code in the as-yet unreleased version to deal with failed calls to Tesla's servers. Frankly though, it's still not as stable as it used to be.

It's taking me quite a while to get the new code stable because I periodically run up against more odd behavior from Tesla's servers and my account gets locked by Tesla. I'm working right now on a stored credential.

Joe

Joe -
Had an odd issue pop up in 0.28.01 yesterday -- on OS X Yosemite 10.10.1… The app appears to run fine, except that the graphs tab no longer displays any data. The log files appear to be OK -- vin.locs.log and vin.stats.log are 1.5MB and 5.7MB respectively and have create dates that correspond to me first using the app, with update dates as of today (I have backups that I could pull down and try if needed too). But the graphs tab is just empty. Changing the check boxes doesn't do anything.

The only thing that changed was that Apple support had me reset my keychain (I've been suffering the Yosemite-induced wifi drops on my Mac that I keep VT on -- and it got worse with 10.10.1, so I finally called AppleCare, unfortunately the keychain reset didn't help). Since this isn't really a native OS X app, I don't think it stores anything in Keychain, but maybe it does?

Any thoughts on how to fix?

I fixed the issue I had… Just re-downloaded 0.28.01, moved it to my applications folder and had it replace the existing app package. Graphs now show up properly -- and no data was lost (other than the gaps when OS X dropped wifi…)

Odd issue -- but I'm guessing a file in the app package somehow became corrupted. Good 'ol reinstall fixed it...

Question about trips that I (think) didn't see in the FAQ.

I'm running 0.28.01 and it recorded my trips for Nov 23, 24 and 25th, but not today the 26th. It's been running on my PC. No changes in anything; it just didn't seem to record any information for today.

1. Any suggestions as to why?
2. Do I need to keep this program running in order for it to record my trips?

Question about trips that I (think) didn't see in the FAQ.

I'm running 0.28.01 and it recorded my trips for Nov 23, 24 and 25th, but not today the 26th. It's been running on my PC. No changes in anything; it just didn't seem to record any information for today.

1. Any suggestions as to why?
2. Do I need to keep this program running in order for it to record my trips?
VT must be running to collect the data. It can't go back and collect missed data.