Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Going back to Java 1.70_71 fixed the problem. For those that use Visible Tesla, don't update your Java VM to 1.8 yet. Running VT 0.29.00.

I'm glad you have it working.

For other folks, to be safe, you should use the version of Java that comes bundled with the Mac and Windows app.

If you want to use your own installation of Java, in general it will work with any version of 1.7 after 1.7u25. It is guaranteed not to work on 1.8. There are massive JavaFX incompatibilities that I'll have to deal with at some point.

If you're on Linux, you need to ensure you've got a compatible version of Java as described on the Getting Started page.

Joe

I too would like to run it on a Synology server. I fiddled with it a bit and installed Java on the machine, but didn't get much further than that. I think for it to be able to run, one would have to be able to launch the app on "server mode", ie without a user interface. This way the app could poll the Tesla servers and write data continuously from the Synology server. When one wanted to interact with the car or read the historical data, then one would have to launch some kind of web-based viewer.

Probably a fairly substantial change to the existing app architecture unfortunately...

0.29.00 wasn't fetching data to graph regularly, except when I selected another tab. Running on Mac OS X 10.9.5.

Installed 0.28.01 and everything is fine, without changing any preferences. Many thanks.

By the way, 0.29.00 is unsearchable in this forum: searching for 0.29.00 gave no results, as did searching for "0.29.00", and searching for 29 gave "too many results". Any advice on how to find release-specific discussion? Perhaps separate threads per major release?

Interestingly, I rebuilt my machine as a Win8.1 box recently, and installed VT v0.29. I had been running v0.28.x on my previous Win7 box.

I now no longer get charge start/stop/complete notifications, despite having checked the box for notification when charge state becmes "anything". I hava my notification email set correctly, and test email delivery works.

Does anybody else successfully get charge state notifications w/ v0.29?

0.29.00 wasn't fetching data to graph regularly, except when I selected another tab. Running on Mac OS X 10.9.5.

Installed 0.28.01 and everything is fine, without changing any preferences. Many thanks.

By the way, 0.29.00 is unsearchable in this forum: searching for 0.29.00 gave no results, as did searching for "0.29.00", and searching for 29 gave "too many results". Any advice on how to find release-specific discussion? Perhaps separate threads per major release?

It's easy to create an open VT group on the forum with different threads in the group, say for version releases or other feature discussions instead of just one big thread.

I started playing around with the MacOS version of VisibleTesla recently and had an odd experience this morning with the car. Wondering if there's any connection.

With VisibleTesla just the other day I slightly adjusted the charge limit to 90%. It was already set to 90%, roughly, in the car. I noticed yesterday morning when I got in the car first thing, the charge said 234 miles, 2 miles higher than usual. Today, it said 237 miles. Definitely strange. BUT THEN... the car also was scolding me via its 17-inch monitor....

chargelimit.jpg

It appears that the CAR's charge limit was lower than VisibleTesla's charge limit, and the car had charged higher than the limit, and was annoyed and so it scolded me. What do you think? I have never seen this error message before, ever.

I believe anything higher then 90% charge percentage gives you the warning.

I have found after some 6.0 point release the percentages in VT and the 17" screen generally aren't the same. I have resolved to just use VT to change the charge percentage and things have stayed fairly consistent. (I keep mine at 70% for the most part)

-m

Is there a location where I can see a wish list of features or anything that would keep me from making a request that's already been made? I was hoping to be able to set one or more reminders when the odometer reading reaches certain levels so I could get messages such as "tire rotation needed."

The uncertain future of VisibleTesla

Folks,

I've tried working with Tesla to resolve some of the ongoing reliability issues I've had using the 6.0 APIs and have been unsuccessful. I got a couple of very helpful responses from them initially when I asked some questions, but they later went silent and have since locked my account (again).

I don't blame them for not spending time on this. The API isn't open (though I wish it were) and they never made any commitment to remote access beyond what is possible through the official app. What this means for me, however, is that doing development and supporting others who are having trouble is really difficult.

My plan is to wrap up the latest work, and do one more beta release. This will ONLY be for testing. It will not download as part of the autoupdate process. If people want to try it and let me know if it works, that's great. If it seems stable (or I can make it stable), I'll do another release. After that I won't be updating the app unless I can manage to create a stable environment. All of this will, of course, be on github.

Sorry that I don't have better news after all this time.

Joe