Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Michael,
How about trying to send yourself a text using a regular email program and the email address you have been using in VT. This will let you separate a VT problem from a Verizon problem.

It's definitely a Verizon problem. If I go and log into vtext.com and set up myself as a contact, then when I try to send a message to my phone I get an error message "delivery to this destination failed due to invalid address"

It's definitely a Verizon problem. If I go and log into vtext.com and set up myself as a contact, then when I try to send a message to my phone I get an error message "delivery to this destination failed due to invalid address"

I'm not sure what you were trying to do with respect to what you just wrote.

I believe what thimel was suggesting was that you use your regular email client to send yourself a message at [email protected]. This requires no setup anywhere. If you receive a text message after you send that e-mail message then the problem you are having probably lies with VT. If you can't send a message to your phone from your regular email client, then the issue isn't with VT, but somewhere else, and you could start by calling Verizon.

I'm not sure what you were trying to do with respect to what you just wrote.

I believe what thimel was suggesting was that you use your regular email client to send yourself a message at [email protected]. This requires no setup anywhere. If you receive a text message after you send that e-mail message then the problem you are having probably lies with VT. If you can't send a message to your phone from your regular email client, then the issue isn't with VT, but somewhere else, and you could start by calling Verizon.

That's what I keep trying to say, that sending an email to [email protected] does not work, either from gmail or from my work email.

I have two entries in VT for notifications: my regular gmail address which works fine, and [email protected] which does not.

Additionally, if I log into vtext.com which requires you then to log into your Verizon account, there is a web page to send a text message to a mobile phone. When I put in my number and try to send myself a text message I get the invalid address error.

Thanks for the responses. Guess it's time to call Verizon.

VT to control the air condition?

I wish there was a function in VT like this:

IF (Cabin temp > 95 F) and ( (SOC > 70 %) or (charging = true) ) THEN
Air Condition = True

Parking outside, the car was 120 F today. Since it was plugged in, I ran the air con a few times. I know it consumes a little power but I don't like the items inside my car to fry! And I don't often park outside in the sun.

Also plan to mitigate it by having a full body reflective cover (which doesn't block the 3G connection)

Great application. I'm only a month into it, but have a suggestion:

Can it read a standard calendar (i.e Google Calendar) and use that as part of the scheduler? For example, if calendar entry has a "location" assigned to it and the car is plugged in, you can:

(1) Query the current temperature and outside temperature verses the set point and intelligently turn on HVAC in advance. (This can be set to work only if plugged in.)
(2) Raise the charge level and give a boost charge before the event.

In an ideal solution, you could query the location of the car against the location in the calendar to estimate driving time. By subtracting the driving time, you have a time to work backwards from in terms of HVAC and increasing the charge. Since not all calendar entries will require car travel, perhaps it could only work if a full address is listed and it's more than 1 mile from the car's current location?

It's my understanding that going over 80-90% isn't detrimental if you plan to immediately use it. Perhaps it queries the distance to your next calendar event and estimates how much additional charging your completed trip will take? In other words, if it's 10 miles away, it'll automatically pre-charge the car for an additional 10 miles worth of estimated driving. I feel like this could help limit range anxiety by allowing people to normally keep their battery at a standard (or even lower) level, but "top it off" on-demand, knowing it'll be at your typical estimated range AFTER your trip.

Basically, this would be a smarter way to precondition for those of use without regular commuting schedules.

(I also love the idea of a boolean style HVAC scheduling as noted above. It could work not only in extreme heat, but prevent the car from dropping below a certain temperature.)

Thanks for all your work on this.

- - - Reply to X-rayangiodoc - - -

Can you tell me what happens when when you double-click "Make PC Shortcut"? Do you get an error dialog, does it silently fail to put an icon on your desktop? Something else? "Make PC Shortcut" is a very small Visual Basic Program (just a text file). If you're comfortable doing so, you can open it up and put in some print statements to see where it is going belly up.

- - - Reply to Rawen - - -

Yup, that's a bug. It got broken during some major changes I made a while back. Thank you for letting me know. The fix is in github and will be in the next release.

Joe
It just seems to fail to put the icon on the desktop without any sort of error message. My manual machinations work fine so no biggie.

Did you ever consider writing VT as a web service using a lightweight web server like Jetty? That would make it very easy to access remotely, perhaps even from a Tesla browser screen, as you would only need to forward a port on your router.

Hi, new to this thread and the desktop app. I couldn't find within the thread any questions about the "details" when you click that button. A few things are incorrect in here, but I am wondering if they are just errors in the app? For example:

- battery is reported at 70KwH not the 85KwH that my P85D has.
- some things like parking sensors etc are marked as "false" when they should be "true"

Is there something I should be doing like editing this information?

Thanks

Hi, new to this thread and the desktop app. I couldn't find within the thread any questions about the "details" when you click that button. A few things are incorrect in here, but I am wondering if they are just errors in the app? For example:

- battery is reported at 70KwH not the 85KwH that my P85D has.
- some things like parking sensors etc are marked as "false" when they should be "true"

Is there something I should be doing like editing this information?

Thanks

I'm going to take a shot at answering this, with the disclaimer that I could be wrong on just about any of it.

I had not noticed this before you posted, but my P85D also is shown in "Details" as having a 70KwH battery. This must be an error in the newest version of the software, introduced when the 70D was added.

As for the parking sensors - false, mine are shown this way as well, but I think this actually might be correct. The option might be referring to an older option that was just parking sensors, as opposed to the full auto pilot-ready features and sensors we now have.

I don't believe the information that VT is pulling into "Details" can be overwritten in the "Details" area. However the way VT uses that information can be overridden. You can access the Preferences/Overrides tab to override several items.

Did you ever consider writing VT as a web service using a lightweight web server like Jetty? That would make it very easy to access remotely, perhaps even from a Tesla browser screen, as you would only need to forward a port on your router.

There is a Chrome plugin for controlling the Tesla from a browser. It was written by another owner/developer.

Tesla Model S Control - Chrome Web Store

Yes,

If I had the time, I'd do that. I think it's the way to go. For the moment you can access limited features of VT in a browser, including the in-car browser. You'll need to forward a port on your router as you mentioned. Check the docs for details.

Joe