Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does VT use streaming everytime time the car is moving? The reason I ask is from a HA perspective. You don't want the garage door closing 2 minutes after you leave and would prefer to have certain events happen immediately if possible.
In 28.01, the response time from VT is very fast. VT sends the notification to HA within a small number of seconds of the car entering/leaving the geofence.

My return home geofence is 200 ft from the house and the door is halfway up by the time I get to the drive.

My leave home geofence is about 100 ft from the house, and I get a door closed confirmation by the time I get to the end of the street. It's usually my preference to manually lower the door, but if I don't, there are some safety delays I have inserted, which check for motion and a clear area before lowering the door.

In 28.01, the response time from VT is very fast. VT sends the notification to HA within a small number of seconds of the car entering/leaving the geofence.

My return home geofence is 200 ft from the house and the door is halfway up by the time I get to the drive.

My leave home geofence is about 100 ft from the house, and I get a door closed confirmation by the time I get to the end of the street. It's usually my preference to manually lower the door, but if I don't, there are some safety delays I have inserted, which check for motion and a clear area before lowering the door.

Gotcha. I remember reading somewhere though that you had to have the location tab "on" for that to work. Is that still the case?

Gotcha. I remember reading somewhere though that you had to have the location tab "on" for that to work. Is that still the case?

If I'm understanding your correctly, I don't think so. My VT app is almost always sitting with the Charge tab selected, and I still get geo-notifications emailed to me as I leave the house, etc...

[ON EDIT]

Or are you speaking of the checkbox enabled in the Prefs tab? (your use of "tab 'on'" is what confuses me here slightly)

Last edited:
I haven't been able to wake up my car remotely for the last couple of days using either VT or the iPhone app. I haven't received a Tesla firmware update lately so I'm not sure what's different. If I go to the car and open the door it will wake up and then I can connect to it with VT or the iPhone app.

Weird.

I also saw your post in the REST API thread about charging query responses the past couple of days... I noticed VT had a hard time updating the charge info yesterday. The car was plugged in and charging, and although the Overview tab updated the cable to show it as plugged in, etc... the Charge tab wouldn't update, despite the fact the car was actively charging.

What's weird is that VT successfully emailed me a charge-start notification with SOC values, etc...

Sounds like Tesla's servers were hosed up a bit.

I haven't been able to wake up my car remotely for the last couple of days using either VT or the iPhone app. I haven't received a Tesla firmware update lately so I'm not sure what's different. If I go to the car and open the door it will wake up and then I can connect to it with VT or the iPhone app.

Weird.

Joe -
i had weird issue yesterday with 0.29.0. We were out running a bunch of errands most of the day and drove 80+ miles. I even plugged in at a public charger so I could cool the car down (it was hot in Phoenix yesterday -- 103 or so). I was able to access the car fine via the mobile app multiple times including a couple that had to wake the car.

But when I got home, VT was still in allow sleep mode and did not record any of our drive.

Since this is the second time this week that it's happened, it's either an odd bug in .29 or Tesla is doing some server changes... I'm going to revert to 0.28.01 for now...

Joe -
i had weird issue yesterday with 0.29.0. We were out running a bunch of errands most of the day and drove 80+ miles. I even plugged in at a public charger so I could cool the car down (it was hot in Phoenix yesterday -- 103 or so). I was able to access the car fine via the mobile app multiple times including a couple that had to wake the car.

But when I got home, VT was still in allow sleep mode and did not record any of our drive.

Since this is the second time this week that it's happened, it's either an odd bug in .29 or Tesla is doing some server changes... I'm going to revert to 0.28.01 for now...

Yes, I definitely recommend reverting back to 0.28.01. I've found a bug in 0.29, but I've also been seeing quite a bit of odd behavior from Tesla's servers which is making it much tougher to figure out which problems are mine and which are theirs. Many of the queries that I send to gather data from the car are returning with errors. I'll keep working on it.

Joe

- - - Updated - - -

I also saw your post in the REST API thread about charging query responses the past couple of days... I noticed VT had a hard time updating the charge info yesterday. The car was plugged in and charging, and although the Overview tab updated the cable to show it as plugged in, etc... the Charge tab wouldn't update, despite the fact the car was actively charging.

What's weird is that VT successfully emailed me a charge-start notification with SOC values, etc...

Sounds like Tesla's servers were hosed up a bit.

Yes, I'm getting a lot of errors when requesting charge state information. Something is definitely going on with Tesla's servers.

Yes, I definitely recommend reverting back to 0.28.01. I've found a bug in 0.29, but I've also been seeing quite a bit of odd behavior from Tesla's servers which is making it much tougher to figure out which problems are mine and which are theirs. Many of the queries that I send to gather data from the car are returning with errors. I'll keep working on it.
Interestingly, I've seen the opposite of ZBB. As you're aware, I've had tons of issues with missing trips and such back through several versions, possibly due to my vehicle losing data connection for much of each night while sleeping. Since updating to 0.29 last weekend, I haven't had a single issue, which is the longest it's ever gone without VT needing restarted.

So while there may be some other stuff going on, based on what I've seen so far I do think you've fixed some things with your re-factoring.

Makes me wonder if they aren't prepping the servers for 6.0, though, given it sounds like mobile app changes were required.

If I'm understanding your correctly, I don't think so. My VT app is almost always sitting with the Charge tab selected, and I still get geo-notifications emailed to me as I leave the house, etc...

[ON EDIT]

Or are you speaking of the checkbox enabled in the Prefs tab? (your use of "tab 'on'" is what confuses me here slightly)

I didn't get a geofence notification until I came home and switched to the location app. I think the location tab has to be selected for it to work, is that right?

Joe will have a more definitive answer, but my understanding is that after VT is launched, the location tab has to be selected once to initialize the location mechanism. After that, location will work in the background including saving trip data and triggering geofences.

I keep VT on the overview tab when I'm not actively using the app, and trip recording and my limited testing of geofences work fine.