Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folks,

There are fairly sizable changes to Tesla's APIs to correspond to the 6.0 firmware release.

For one thing, they have a different server interface. Also, they now require special keys to use the API. I extracted these keys from the latest Android app and am in the process of updating the app to use the new interfaces. There are a number of other changes as well. Most are not very major.

Unfortunately, the new servers don't seem any more stable than the old ones. I'm hoping that once the 6.0 rollout is further along (or complete) they'll get the server side squared away.

The fact that they require special keys to use the APIs may be good news, or it may be bad news. It may point to an actual developer program in which developers are issued keys for use with their API. That would be a good thing. On the other hand, it may be an attempt to lock down their APIs. That would not be so good. Time will tell.

Joe
Thanks Joe!

Good luck with all the changes. They might be locking things down now that the API can start your car?

Folks,

There are fairly sizable changes to Tesla's APIs to correspond to the 6.0 firmware release.

For one thing, they have a different server interface. Also, they now require special keys to use the API. I extracted these keys from the latest Android app and am in the process of updating the app to use the new interfaces. There are a number of other changes as well. Most are not very major.

Unfortunately, the new servers don't seem any more stable than the old ones. I'm hoping that once the 6.0 rollout is further along (or complete) they'll get the server side squared away.

The fact that they require special keys to use the APIs may be good news, or it may be bad news. It may point to an actual developer program in which developers are issued keys for use with their API. That would be a good thing. On the other hand, it may be an attempt to lock down their APIs. That would not be so good. Time will tell.

Joe

Thanks Joe, we all appreciate the warning.
I rely heavily on the VT scheduler for daily and weekly operation> in case I am proposed to upgrade to 6.0 (some are already getting this in Europe), should I stick to 5.12 awaiting for clarification and or resolution from you side or Tesla's?

Thanks Joe, we all appreciate the warning.
I rely heavily on the VT scheduler for daily and weekly operation> in case I am proposed to upgrade to 6.0 (some are already getting this in Europe), should I stick to 5.12 awaiting for clarification and or resolution from you side or Tesla's?

Hi Go4IT,

It is unknown how long the old servers will stay up, but I suspect it will be for a while. They need everyone on the new smartphone app before they shut off the old server access mechanism. I have VT moved over to their new mechanism and am testing now. I have to do two main things:
1. Do enough testing to have some confidence before releasing a Beta version.
2. Come up with a method to protect Tesla's keys to at least the extent that they do. I don't think it would be proper for me to post them on github.

BTW, the new servers are still giving just as many errors (timeouts) as the old ones. It could be a result of new software, it could be a result of overloading, or they may simply be throttling the number of requests that they accept per unit time.

I will keep you all posted as I make progress.

Joe

This is indeed a great App for Tesla Owners. I upgraded the software to 0.28 version - now the "Trips Data" is not showing up. IS there any setting that is needed in the car or the app to enable that ? For whichever date I select "Map it" and "Export it" buttons are disabled.

tesla.gif

This is indeed a great App for Tesla Owners. I upgraded the software to 0.28 version - now the "Trips Data" is not showing up. IS there any setting that is needed in the car or the app to enable that ? For whichever date I select "Map it" and "Export it" buttons are disabled.

View attachment 59849

Should work. Do you have remote access allowed on your car? Try logging oht and then logging in again.

@jpasqua:

The V6.0 firmware thread had a side note feature request that may be able to be accomplished by VT until TM makes it available in a few years ...

Notification if the car has been parked for a while i.e. 5 min and the doors remain unlocked.

Some owners have reported occasional failure of walk-away locking, and I've had it when my wife left her key fob in the car when we walked off.

I've requested the same from Joe a few times in the past after accidentally leaving my key in the car, so it's on his radar. Definitely agree it'd be a nice feature.

Edit (9/26): As an update, after weeks of absolute stability, something unusual for my situation, VT seems to be crashing every 10 minutes or so on me now. Seems Tesla is still tinkering with the servers.

Last edited:
hi Joe,

love your app - great work !

as of firmware 6.0 I also can no longer see any trips - regardless of logging out and in - all info seems lost and no new info on trips added anymore.

any ideas what we can do for that ?

thanks

PJH

Hello PJH,

The first thing to do is check the Graphs Tab. Make sure that "Speed" is selected from the "Show Items" drop down. Check a time period in which you know a trip occurred. Does the speed line reflect your motion? If there is no speed recorded, then there will be no trips shown. If you don't see any speed information, go to the Prefs Tab and look under General/Basic. There is an item called "Load data for:". Be sure that the period you are loading contains trips. For example, if you haven't driven your car for a week (let's say you were away on a trip) and you have "Load data for:" set to "Last 7 days", then you'll see no trip data or graph data. Also, please check the calendar on the Trips page. be sure that for some reason it's not showing a month in the future or far past.

You can PM me or email me (joe AT visibletesla DOT com) with details.

Joe

Just a point of information, I've been running VT since March (this year) when I got my car.

I've never been able to get "trips" to work in any reliable way. It occasionally records short local trips, say between 2 and 16 miles.

I've upgraded over the months, and I'm now on 0.29.00 and yes, I always have it running in the background on a spare Windows XP machine. I've verified all the options mentioned above. I've also tried leaving it running on my Windows 7 box when I go on longer trips. It's working once in a while, can captures short segments of the trips (seemingly random bits here and there), but it never is capturing all the information.

This past weekend, I went on a 600 mile r/t to Vermont, made sure I had the latest version installed (.29), and left it running all weekend. The only "trip" it recorded was the first 16 miles and then nothing at all after that. Nothing in the car changed either.

It looks like a great feature, but I've given up trying to diagnose the problem. Oh, and email notifications are equally spotty.

This past weekend, I went on a 600 mile r/t to Vermont, made sure I had the latest version installed (.29), and left it running all weekend. The only "trip" it recorded was the first 16 miles and then nothing at all after that. Nothing in the car changed either.

It looks like a great feature, but I've given up trying to diagnose the problem. Oh, and email notifications are equally spotty.
It sounds like you have other issues going on as well, but I also had poor success with .29. Try 28.01 and see if that improves the situation, as per Joe's advice: VisibleTesla - Page 142

Last edited: