Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VMR V710FF 19" Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Summer performance tires are great in the rain. It’s mostly about the temperature. Rubber compounds are designed for optimal use in particular temperature ranges. Summer tires will be ideal above 40F. Winter tires will be ideal below freezing, and of course the winter tread pattern and siping helps in snow and ice. For me I want the best tire for the season. I put on winter tires here in Maryland even though we only get a few days per year of snow. My winter tire use is about the temperatures first, and icy conditions second, and snow third. My summer tire use is about warm dry conditions first, and rain conditions second.

Awesome. That's really helpful information. Thanks!

@kbecks13 @Tdave

Hey guys, hoping to get some clarification here. So VMR speced out a tire size of 235/40/19. But then I spoke to a guy at Discount Tire and he said that, due to weight bearing, I needed a 245/40/19.

As a reminder I have the P3D- stealth, currently with stock 18". Can anyone help me out with some clarification? I see that the Tesla stock 19" wheels come with Continental ProContact RX, 235/40/19. So I'm not sure why Discount Tire is telling me I need 245/40/19.

Thanks again!

Hey guys, hoping to get some clarification here. So VMR speced out a tire size of 235/40/19. But then I spoke to a guy at Discount Tire and he said that, due to weight bearing, I needed a 245/40/19.

That's weird and doesn't sound right. Tires have a weight and speed rating like 96Y or 98W where the number is the weight and the letter is the speed. The size is a separate topic, so perhaps the specific tire that VMR suggested had a poor weight rating (and it's not the size that is the problem).

Here's a list of stock tires for Model 3: The Tesla Model 3 Wheel and Tire Guide

The 18" tires are the Michelin Primacy MXM4, 235/45-18, 98W but interestingly the 20" wheels use a 92Y tire which is rated for a good bit less load.

Chart of load ratings: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35

What tire specifically did they recommend?

@kbecks13 @Tdave

As a reminder I have the P3D- stealth, currently with stock 18". Can anyone help me out with some clarification? I see that the Tesla stock 19" wheels come with Continental ProContact RX, 235/40/19. So I'm not sure why Discount Tire is telling me I need 245/40/19.

Thanks again!
That's their policy. I dealt with the same situation, and it was extremely frustrating (check my thread on "America's Tire"). They will only follow the weight rating listed on the door jamb of your car, which in this case lists 235/45/18 98W. So they will only sell you a tire with the same 98 weight rating.

The best case scenario is for you to buy the tires from them and then have another shop install them that will ignore the door jamb label, which is what I ended up doing. You shouldn't have much trouble finding local tire shops willing to.

That's weird and doesn't sound right. Tires have a weight and speed rating like 96Y or 98W where the number is the weight and the letter is the speed. The size is a separate topic, so perhaps the specific tire that VMR suggested had a poor weight rating (and it's not the size that is the problem).

Here's a list of stock tires for Model 3: The Tesla Model 3 Wheel and Tire Guide

The 18" tires are the Michelin Primacy MXM4, 235/45-18, 98W but interestingly the 20" wheels use a 92Y tire which is rated for a good bit less load.

Chart of load ratings: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35

What tire specifically did they recommend?

Thanks @P-Lo801. That's helpful info.

@kbecks13 - Ok, I think I understand now. VMS has recommended the Pirelli P Zero All Season, which has is 96V. So that's lower than the Tesla rating for 19" -> 96W. So does that mean I should look at a different tire?

Another tire that VMS recommended was the Dunlop Signature HP, which is a 96W.

I'm pretttty sure the 96V is fine although the speed rating is a tad bit low compared to stock values, the other Model 3's have lower load rating tires (the 19" use 96 and the 20" use 92!) as well.

The wheel/tire diameter shouldn't really have an impact on the load each tire sees unless i'm really missing something.

Thanks for the input!

I forgot to mention that I'm currently sporting Continental Pure Contact LS, which are 96V rated, on my 19" forgestar wheels. I'm coming from oem aeros and have only noticed a 4% wh/mi increase in my energy consumption. I averaged 236 wh/mi on my aeros (mixed usage using the aero caps), and am now averaging 246 with these tires. It should be noted, though, that i'm also on larger wheels that are the same weight as the aeros, but with a et32 offset as opposed to the OEM et40...these new tires are also lighter by 2lbs.

I'm also looking for a set of 19s and the V710FF are on my list of considerations.

I'm planning to get at least 245/40/19 size... but would 255/40/19 fit without issues? I see others with 255 but looks like they're 255/35/19

If 255/40/19 fits, would it be fine to lower <1 inch or so with MPP comfort coilovers?

If that still all fits without rubbing, could I also include 10-15mm spacers?

I'm also looking for a set of 19s and the V710FF are on my list of considerations.

I'm planning to get at least 245/40/19 size... but would 255/40/19 fit without issues? I see others with 255 but looks like they're 255/35/19

If 255/40/19 fits, would it be fine to lower <1 inch or so with MPP comfort coilovers?

If that still all fits without rubbing, could I also include 10-15mm spacers?

I'm a little busy at work to go super in depth, but you should use some of these online calculators to check. Things you should watch out for:
  • Overall tire diameter. 255/40/R19 sounds like its going to be pretty big relative to stock, check that here against your current tires: Tire Size Comparison
  • Spacers/Offsets - 10-15mm sounds like a lot, but it depends on the wheel offset you get. Another cool calculator that can help with determining clearance changes is this one: Wheel Offset Calculator

• Informative
Reactions: P-Lo801 and zhu-
That's their policy. I dealt with the same situation, and it was extremely frustrating (check my thread on "America's Tire"). They will only follow the weight rating listed on the door jamb of your car, which in this case lists 235/45/18 98W. So they will only sell you a tire with the same 98 weight rating.

The best case scenario is for you to buy the tires from them and then have another shop install them that will ignore the door jamb label, which is what I ended up doing. You shouldn't have much trouble finding local tire shops willing to.

It's crazy. I just called Tesla parts and they confirmed that, if I bought 19" wheels directly from Tesla, they would come with the Continental ProContact RX, 235/40-19, 96W. But Discount Tire is telling me that Tesla is wrong and that the can only put on a 98W.

It's crazy. I just called Tesla parts and they confirmed that, if I bought 19" wheels directly from Tesla, they would come with the Continental ProContact RX, 235/40-19, 96W. But Discount Tire is telling me that Tesla is wrong and that the can only put on a 98W.

Tire shops can be weird like that, they don't want to take even an OUNCE of liability. I went to Firestone to have them dismount, rotate and remount my tires (they are directional tires, so you have to do this for a proper rotation) and they claimed they couldn't because it would cause excessive tire wear. This is crazy ironic because the entire reason i wanted to rotate was to avoid tire wear, so yea - i'm not too surprised they're giving you a hard time, unfortunately.

Lawyers ruin everything, but i bet you can find another shop that will do it. Otherwise i think even Tesla technically could do this for you, but it probably won't be cheap and they're always super busy so they won't love ya for it.

Thought I'd check in. Installed the new wheels/tires last night. I'm really happy them. Sorry for the night pic, I haven't been able to get a pic in the day yet. Here's what my final order was:

4 x VMR Wheels V710 19x8.5 ET35 5x114.3 64.1 - Hyper Silver
Dunlop Signature HP

Does anyone know if it's possible to find Tesla branded center caps for these VMR wheels? The factory VMR center cap is larger than the Tesla one.

IMG_20190920_211346.jpg

This thread is amazing, thanks everyone for all the insights!

I’m sold on getting some 19” VMR wheels for my Model 3 LR AWD and wanted to get some thoughts here! After reading everyone’s posts, I wanted to ask what you recommend I do:

- Staggered or Square setup (I care about looks but range efficiency as well)
- Michelin Pilot Sport 4S or Continental ExtremeSports (again efficiency is important to me and don’t mind the $200 premium for 4S if everyone loves those tires)
- I noticed the 4S tires are rated at 96Y, is that fine and will that work for my LR AWD?
- and finally, if you guys decided to do square setup, would you go with 19x8.5 or 19x9.5 and what’s the best tire size for each?

thanks again!

This thread is amazing, thanks everyone for all the insights!

I’m sold on getting some 19” VMR wheels for my Model 3 LR AWD and wanted to get some thoughts here! After reading everyone’s posts, I wanted to ask what you recommend I do:

- Staggered or Square setup (I care about looks but range efficiency as well)
- Michelin Pilot Sport 4S or Continental ExtremeSports (again efficiency is important to me and don’t mind the $200 premium for 4S if everyone loves those tires)
- I noticed the 4S tires are rated at 96Y, is that fine and will that work for my LR AWD?
- and finally, if you guys decided to do square setup, would you go with 19x8.5 or 19x9.5 and what’s the best tire size for each?

I would like to hear these answers and one more: without lowering the car, what offset and/or spacers should I use for a more flush look (especially in the rear) with one of the setups in the above post. (Thinking exact same sizes)
thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.