Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voice command "Call xxx" doesn't work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ever since the last update (2020.48.35.5 842a95863251) the "call xxx" voice command doesn't function. It appears on the screen correctly, except it shows "call Karen" instead of "Call Karen" and then does nothing. All other phone functions work, recent calls, contacts, etc. All other voice commands work, ie "Play xx", "Navigate to xx", etc.
These are the things I have done so far that have not fixed the issue:

removed my phone (phone 12+) from Tesla Bluetooth
removed Tesla from iPhone Bluetooth
restarted phone
re-paired and connected phone again
two scroll wheel reboot (twice)

I'm out of ideas. Its as if if forgot what "call" means

Any ideas? Thanks!

Reactions: Wol747
I'm having a similar problem on my Model X (2019 LR - Raven Platform). I also tried shutting the car off and turning it back on after 30 seconds, but no help. I submitted a Mobile Service Request, and Tesla said the car needs to come into the shop for diagnosis. One other difference: "Call " still shows up in front of the name, but the behavior is as if I tried an unknown command... the text shows briefly and then disappears.

Other commands still work (e.g. "Turn on Passenger Seat Heater" or "Show Backup Camera") so it isn't an overall voice failure. It's as if they removed "Call" (and Dial, Phone) from the list of command words.

I'm having a similar problem on my Model X (2019 LR - Raven Platform). I also tried shutting the car off and turning it back on after 30 seconds, but no help. I submitted a Mobile Service Request, and Tesla said the car needs to come into the shop for diagnosis. One other difference: "Call " still shows up in front of the name, but the behavior is as if I tried an unknown command... the text shows briefly and then disappears.

Other commands still work (e.g. "Turn on Passenger Seat Heater" or "Show Backup Camera") so it isn't an overall voice failure. It's as if they removed "Call" (and Dial, Phone) from the list of command words.

Thats exactly what happens with mine "call Karen" shows up on the screen and then goes away just as if I said "blah Karen".
Does yours say "Call xxx" which an upper case C? Mine is lower case. Please keep us updated if you have a service done.

Exact same issue. 2021 Model X. I've forgot/reconnected iPhone on car and did the same for the Tesla connection on my phone. I did notice that now the Bluetooth connection on the phone now reads "Tesla Model X {my car's name}" when it used to just say Tesla Model X. "My car's name" is the personal name I chose via the onboard system.

Not only does it not respond to my voice command to "Call XYZ" but it doesn't seem to recognize speech very well. I have a friend with the last name of "Poe" and it keeps thinking I'm saying "Ho" for his last name, even when I over pronounce the "P".

i just posted this in another thread, but maybe my issue is best posted here

Anyone able to successfully use the "tire pressure" or "show tire pressure" command? It recognizes it, but never actually brings it up anymore

Same problem. Just started. Customer service has escalated my issue to tech support. Power off/on, restart via thumbwheels, turn bluetooth on/off, forget device and repair, sign out and back in to app. All tried- all failed.

I am having the same "call xxx" voice command doesn't function problem with my 2020 M3 LR AWD. I have also tried removing/repairing phone,switching bluetooth on/off & scroll wheel reboot as well as full power down & restart all to no avail. If I start the call via the phone it will work thru the vehicle flawlessly. Other voice commands are working.
This seems to be another instance of a software update (2020.48.35.5 842a95863251) causing other issues, much like the USB album art disappearing several updates ago. I find both of these issues frustrating & hope they will be fixed soon in an upcoming update.

Nothing works anymore....Musk is too busy tweeting about Gamestop and cryotocurrency! I've had trouble with all voice commands and the infotainment system not recognizing USB drive on start and album art. I'm hoping Tesla addresses some of the long standing (years) issues with the cars.

Voice command relies on cell communication sending your request back to the mothership for translation before it displays anything. THat can often interfere with voice commands.

Bottom line: it sucks.

I'd say about 10% of the time I try a voice command, it just sits there. No matter what I say, it won't ever register text.

And forget about trying to call anyone. Half the time it gets the name wrong, the other half of the time it gets it half right but asks me to chose from the 12 "John's" in my phonebook when I say "Call John Smith".

It's pathetic.

Ever since the last update (2020.48.35.5 842a95863251) the "call xxx" voice command doesn't function. It appears on the screen correctly, except it shows "call Karen" instead of "Call Karen" and then does nothing. All other phone functions work, recent calls, contacts, etc. All other voice commands work, ie "Play xx", "Navigate to xx", etc.
These are the things I have done so far that have not fixed the issue:

removed my phone (phone 12+) from Tesla Bluetooth
removed Tesla from iPhone Bluetooth
restarted phone
re-paired and connected phone again
two scroll wheel reboot (twice)

I'm out of ideas. Its as if if forgot what "call" means

Any ideas? Thanks!

Mine worked great until the last update. Glad to see there are others and it's getting reported. I'm sure they will fix it eventually. lol I guess this would be one reason why most suggest to do the "standard" update mode instead of the "advanced" mode to skip all these minor updates that often break things.

Reactions: 2101Guy
Voice command relies on cell communication sending your request back to the mothership for translation before it displays anything. THat can often interfere with voice commands.

Bottom line: it sucks.

I'd say about 10% of the time I try a voice command, it just sits there. No matter what I say, it won't ever register text.

And forget about trying to call anyone. Half the time it gets the name wrong, the other half of the time it gets it half right but asks me to chose from the 12 "John's" in my phonebook when I say "Call John Smith".

It's pathetic.
Weren't voice commands handled locally (ie, on the MCU) before?

They seemed to be pretty quick and accurate some time ago, unfortunately it's been too long for me to recall exactly when they turned to crap.

Reactions: BlueRocket