Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voice Command - Unknown Command

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

smilepak

May 11, 2015
SoCal, CA
Any one know the answer to this. When pressing on the voice command on the steering wheel and say a command, no matter what it is, it keep saying Unknown Command.

A few things I've noticed

1) I've press and hold down the two top buttons on the steer to reboot dash already
2) I've press and hold down the two middle button on the steer to reboot LCD panel already
3) If my phone bluetooth isn't connected, the voice command would not work at all. When Press, it say phone not connected
4) When Phone is connected (iPhone 6 Plus), press and hold the voice command keep saying Unknown Command. I've tried the word "Dial" and "Call", neither of it works.

Make sure your car has Internet bars showing.
Wait up to 10 minutes after re-establishing Internet (reboot).
There are very few voice commands, "play" "navigate" "call"
Often the first command of the driver, no matter what was said, is tossed as unrecognizable.
Don't let go of the button too soon, wait 1/2 second after making the last sound then let go, that helps.

After all, it is only a 100 000$ car. Voice command never worked properly for me. And what about a decent navigation system, where you can choose options and waypoints. But it is only a 100 000 $ car. ( I still love it, but ... ) I think Elon is only interesred in making faster and more powerful cars instead of improving the car basics.

I think Elon is only interesred in making faster and more powerful cars instead of improving the car basics.

I think :cool: that IF the upgrade will provide Waze for navigation that the wait will have been for "something really worth migrating to", rather than a patch-up-and-mend.

But the current navigation gives me the same routes as my VW Golf, and they always have been useless ... currently I use Waze instead, but I can't read the phone screen when it is in the Dock, so have to have it sliding around the console on a USB lead ... not exactly attractive in a minimalist-cabin ...

Did all the reboots. The Command "Play xxx" works, it bring up Slacker and search...
The command "Dial" or "Call" doesn't work. Seems to be a compatibility issue with iPhone or something.
Does the Contact list come up on main screen when you select the phone icon or on the instrument cluster when you tap the talk button?

If not, then your phone is not connected.

Any one know the answer to this. When pressing on the voice command on the steering wheel and say a command, no matter what it is, it keep saying Unknown Command.
I've only tried it a few times (got the car last Friday). "Navigate to" worked but "Call xxx-xxx-xxxx" and "Dial xxx-xxx-xxxx" resulted in the "Unknown Command" error. I'll give it another try today and report back.

I've only tried it a few times (got the car last Friday). "Navigate to" worked but "Call xxx-xxx-xxxx" and "Dial xxx-xxx-xxxx" resulted in the "Unknown Command" error. I'll give it another try today and report back.
I never tried "Call xxx-xxx-xxxx", but I have done "Call Wife" (assuming she's stored as Wife in phonebook) and it brings up the persons name on the screen, click, and it calls.

Shout at it !!!

I could never get it to work, so I shouted at it one day in frustration and hey presto it found the contact.
I think it has problems with snr esp for Names and the like.

For sure Tesla could improve this feature, and likely just with a software update too.