Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Volkswagen Is Ordered to Recall Nearly 500,000 Vehicles Over Emissions Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another minor haircut today...

VAG.jpg

Interesting article from Yahoo:
VW emission recall could be the most expensive ever - Yahoo Finance

Speculates that VW may end up buying the cars back at 10% over market value. So I'm scratching my head wondering what they are going to do with all the cars?

Article goes on to state that not all states require emissions testing for ongoing vehicle registration. New York and California do. They state that in states that do not require emissions testing, that some customers may opt for not getting the recall work done. So you can't force someone in say Texas to have their car emission system fixed.

Which gets back to the question, what would VW do if they bought back the cars in California and New York that are subject to recall? If the loss from reselling them is much less than the required repair work, they have a big incentive to unload them somewhere. Would then ship them to China and sell them there? Would they ship them to Texas and sell them there? Would people in Red states be waiting with open arms for these cars to arrive from California and New York?

I have to think that the EPA would get involved in some manner at least WRT cars that get re-sold in the US. Maybe there are legalities that would actually allow them to resell in less stringent states. I would think that would raise a s**tstorm of bad publicity if nothing else.

RT

They should crush them like gm did with ev1 !

Here is an excellent article summing up events and real risks to VW's possible demise. A mucky business | The Economist

Great charts to explain the current situation:

The company’s shares have collapsed by a third since its chicanery surfaced (see chart 1)

20150926_FBC873.png

Diesel engines; none too popular elsewhere in the world, power half of Europe’s cars (see chart 2)

20150926_FBC883.png

VW must increase its small share of the American market—the largest after China (see chart 3)

20150926_FBC882.png

The gulf between stated fuel-economy figures and those achieved by an average driver has grown to 40% in recent years (see chart 4)

20150926_FBC477.png

meanwhile-at-volkswagens-emissions-test-center-thats-another-pass-smoke.jpg

I am pretty sure Winterkorn was aware of the flaws, but for some reason team in VW thought it is ok. Also I wonder what exactly will happen in Europe. They seem to have chance to avoid some of the penalties there. Also, when they start testing other brands, results might be interesting...

It's telling that no other big diesel producers are coming out saying: "Go ahead test our cars, we're proud to say we have never done anything like this".

I'm sure hoping that for all our sakes, this doesn't keep spiraling and sweeping more in. Then again, if you're somebody else and you're hoping to not get tested - when did hope become a strategy? If you're somebody else and you've been cheating, I'd dearly love to see people own it and be the first to identify the problem and come out with it. Don't wait to get "caught" - it just means you were cheating AND you were covering it up. We give brownie points to people who mess up, but confess to it, show genuine contrition and desire to make it right. A good starting point is "don't cover it up".

Somewhat unrelated - I've begun wondering if the periodic emissions testing we do here in the Portland, OR area (and by extension, everywhere else in the world), is going to change when the equipment and procedures can be put in place. At one point, my car was tested with an actual independent sensor monitoring emissions from the tail pipe. Now though, they connect the computer and just read what the computers and car sensors tell them is going on.

What would an emissions testing agency need to have in place to mass test the cars wanting re-register each month, in a fashion that wouldn't look like an emissions test is going on? I wonder just how much faster cars would be getting pulled off the roads by inability to pass emissions with more rigorous testing?

I wonder just how deeply the violation of trust by the auto makers will go in the interactions by other companies and governments with the car makers? (Or maybe it'll stay isolated to VW - because only VW had a culture that tolerated such deep violation of trust).

Looks like it is spreading:
Wide range of cars emit more pollution in realistic driving tests, data shows | Environment | The Guardian
Diesel cars made by Renault, Nissan, Hyundai, Citroen, Fiat and Volvo among others emitted far more NOx in more rigorous tests, research shows
Article in The Guardian today cites ADAC (European auto club) testing a wide range of vehichles from Renault, Nissan, Hyundai, Citroen, Fiat and Volvo among others emitted far more NOx in more rigorous tests.
Research compiled by Adac, Europe’s largest motoring organisation, shows that some of the diesel cars it examined released over 10 times more NOx than revealed by existing EU tests, using an alternative standard due to be introduced later this decade.
Reinhard Kolke, head of test and technical affairs at Adac’s state-of-the-art test centre in Bavaria, told the Guardian: “If all cars complied with [the official EU NOx limit], we would have solved all the worst health effects. Every consumer has the right to expect all manufacturers to do this. But still there are these gross emitters.”
A recent T&E round-up of evidence found this affected nine out of 10 new diesel cars, which were on average seven times more polluting in the real world. But the Adac data are the first detailed list of specific makes and models affected.

Read the article (and weep).

Looks like it is spreading:
Wide range of cars emit more pollution in realistic driving tests, data shows | Environment | The Guardian
Diesel cars made by Renault, Nissan, Hyundai, Citroen, Fiat and Volvo among others emitted far more NOx in more rigorous tests, research shows
Article in The Guardian today cites ADAC (European auto club) testing a wide range of vehichles from Renault, Nissan, Hyundai, Citroen, Fiat and Volvo among others emitted far more NOx in more rigorous tests.
Research compiled by Adac, Europe’s largest motoring organisation, shows that some of the diesel cars it examined released over 10 times more NOx than revealed by existing EU tests, using an alternative standard due to be introduced later this decade.
Reinhard Kolke, head of test and technical affairs at Adac’s state-of-the-art test centre in Bavaria, told the Guardian: “If all cars complied with [the official EU NOx limit], we would have solved all the worst health effects. Every consumer has the right to expect all manufacturers to do this. But still there are these gross emitters.”
A recent T&E round-up of evidence found this affected nine out of 10 new diesel cars, which were on average seven times more polluting in the real world. But the Adac data are the first detailed list of specific makes and models affected.

Read the article (and weep).
That's apples to oranges though. They are using more rigorous test standards, not the same ones. The VW issue is that when the car is run on the road under similar driving conditions as the test, the car emits far higher emissions. The fact that the test is not strict enough compared to real world driving is not the main issue in VW's case.

Links to the BMW statement and the Daimler statement. Both seem unequivocal to me. At this point it would see foolish for a company to try and maintain the subterfuge, but then the original VW plan seems pretty stupid to me, so what do I know?
All of the companies in the ADAC study say they don't manipulate or deceive the tests. The point of the article is that you can follow "the letter of the tests" and still make a car that spews more pollution than the regulations when the car is driven in real world conditions. It's a failure of the tests, the regulation, and governance which allows the auto companies to "lobby" (bribe) politicians.
Emissions experts have warned for some time that there were problems with official lab-based NOx tests, meaning there was a failure to limit on-the-road emissions. “Gaming and optimising the test is ubiquitous across the industry,” said Greg Archer, an emissions expert at Transport & Environment.

The bottom line is that there are much more NOx and particulates emitted than the regulations permit and this impacts the health of everyone leading to thousands of premature deaths annually.