Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Volume drops when bass hits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have experienced this issue as well. I have the lowest EQ sent to +2.0 bit I’ve tried changing all the EQ and immersive sound settings. Nothing makes a difference. It happens on some songs and not on others. Probably some cutoff at a certain frequency. Still the best stock audio system I’ve ever owned. I just turn the volume up when a song is playing that causes this issue :)

I have experienced this issue as well. I have the lowest EQ sent to +2.0 bit I’ve tried changing all the EQ and immersive sound settings. Nothing makes a difference. It happens on some songs and not on others. Probably some cutoff at a certain frequency. Still the best stock audio system I’ve ever owned. I just turn the volume up when a song is playing that causes this issue :)
It makes sense but it’s so god damn annoying and my eq is set as 0 for everything. I just listen to a bit more hip hop lol

That's why aftermarket systems use a direct line to the 12v battery and big capacitor to keep the system voltage up when demand spikes due to a large transient load from a bass hit. Put a voltmeter or scope on the amp input then play some bass heavy content, you'll probably see voltage dips.

If it is doing this on high quality USB sourced songs then it could be a Tesla hardware problem.

Most likely it is just too much dynamic range compression before the song was encoded. That's a source problem, not directly a Tesla problem. It was very common until a while after CD's came along. And one of the main symptoms is that every time you have a big drum hit everything else dips in volume. So the total sound level stays close to the same, but the non-drum component volumes are modulated by the drum.

That's not something I'd noticed prior to our last road trip in October. But it was really bad during that trip and still is. Also our heaviest use of Slacker streaming. So it may be Slacker trying to save bandwidth with additional compression.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I have this issue as well! Did you check with Tesla Service to see if it’s a defective unit and/or if it’s been resolved in newer builds? Any luck finding a resolution?
Haven't had them check it yet. It only seems to happen when I'm driving for a while or something. I usually notice it on the highway or when I've driven for a while, like the 12v battery is drained or something. My cars a new build. Just got it 2 weeks ago.

Wow ,I think this is the first time I've seen this problem in the forums. I've just been dealing with it, but would be interested if someone has a solution or talks to tesla. This happens whether streaming via phone or Spotify or tunein, etc.

It seems to me that with bass heavy songs (hip hop/r&b) that at lower volumes, the the systems attempt to output lows is very weak so it sounds like the high / mids for vocals gets suddenly quiet then comes back after the bass note is finished.

This problem goes away if you turn the volume higher, which makes me think it can't be a system capacity issue because it CAN produce a ton of sound.

Would love to solve this :(

Wow ,I think this is the first time I've seen this problem in the forums. I've just been dealing with it, but would be interested if someone has a solution or talks to tesla. This happens whether streaming via phone or Spotify or tunein, etc.

It seems to me that with bass heavy songs (hip hop/r&b) that at lower volumes, the the systems attempt to output lows is very weak so it sounds like the high / mids for vocals gets suddenly quiet then comes back after the bass note is finished.

This problem goes away if you turn the volume higher, which makes me think it can't be a system capacity issue because it CAN produce a ton of sound.

Would love to solve this :(

Yeah, same here. Do you think it’s an issue with the speakers or the sound system itself? Could a software update resolve it?