Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VW ID.4 Free Charging for 3 years! Who wants one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bet the car magazines are ready to to a cross country road trip, I can see the front cover of Car and Driver now: Sea To Shining Sea with a family of four. VW takes on Tesla and the winner is ???????

Oh, we already know the winner. They probably will rave about the instant acceleration and won't even think to say anything like "When rolling into the accelerator from a stop, the powertrain feels almost sluggish until 30 or 40 mph."

I wonder what percentage of electricity used in a Tesla is purchased from a charging station? I expect that for 95% of people the perceived value of free charging greatly exceeds the actual value. So good move by VW like it was for Tesla.

I paid 8.1 cents for electricity last month in Chicago. Even if the 3/Y had free supercharging I would not use it.

There’s a huge EA void in south jersey. No thanks.
908BE7A3-4DB3-4D02-A30F-D90225D1BDD7.jpeg

even if I switch to EVGo, those are half down for repairs anyway. They’re all rated at 3-6 on a scale to 10. All the Supers are 9.5 or 10 here.

• Funny
Reactions: richyrich
There are more CCS superchargers and stations than the proprietary Tesla connector. Not as simple to use since they are separate systems and require payment each time, but cross country is very doable now with standards-based charging. Tesla is now the lightning connector in this standards war. That EM allows for a cheap CCS adapter for Europe and not North America is just cruel. On that holiday weekend when you are waiting in line at one of the busier Tesla supercharge stations, think about it.

I genuinely hope EA sort out some of their issues. Stories like this one from an e-Tron are not rare even for a car that has relatively few on the road - not encouraging. Reading EA stories makes me even more impressed that every supercharger I've ever used "just worked". It's quite a feat when you see EA building curbs that make the cable unable to reach the car, cables that can't be removed without removing fuses in the car and general unreliability.

My fear is if thousands of ID.4 owners have these issues it would reflect very badly on EVs - I actually don't trust VW enough to think they would care...
Omg... what a clusterfu** that e-tron owner experienced. That is the type of experience one can get when buying an EV from a company that isn’t vertically integrated.

For example, if Audi’s dealers weren’t franchises, they could’ve had a dealer drive a loaner car to them and let them continue their vacation while taking care of their car.

Omg... what a clusterfu** that e-tron owner experienced. That is the type of experience one can get when buying an EV from a company that isn’t vertically integrated.

For example, if Audi’s dealers weren’t franchises, they could’ve had a dealer drive a loaner car to them and let them continue their vacation while taking care of their car.
They really need to do a better job for mass adoption
Charging seems to be an afterthought for Audi eh