Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VW ID.4 Free Charging for 3 years! Who wants one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fwiw, 125 kW max also puts you in the highest tier of pricing at an EA station. Not digging it despite the fact that 28,500 would be a great price.

I feel like this competes with the Kona more than the Model Y.

No Thanks. 3 years of Free charging when you'd probably do 90% of your charging at home isn't that great of an incentive.

Appearance is personal preference but I think the interior looks horrible. Its like they tried to make it look like a futuristic 1st gen EV so that no one would buy it but they can say 'they tried and EVs just aren't selling.'. RWD only and 0-60 in 7.8 seconds: OUCH! 250 mile range.. so that's gonna be like 190 real world range after a year and then throw in that you'll only charge to 80% on road trips so 152 miles max. Why are those air vents so low, is it so they can make their dash look open like Tesla or do they think you'll need extra cooling 'down under'?

What's the market for these like a urban soccer mom with no kids? Were they thinking 'Soccer moms loves Honda's but don't want a mini van...hmmm.. lets rip off the interior and pop out the display screens a bit and we'll have a real winner!' Door handles ripped from the Model S too. FAIL

honda.JPG

2021-VW-ID.3-interior.jpg

Reactions: Koolio46
Order placed. Way better value than anything Tesla currently offers. Maybe when they sell the $25k model in a few years.

Apple CarPlay, heated steering wheel, instrument cluster, Silver paint, more room, decent build quality, no $10/mo media/map charge, etc.
Lower price but:
- 250 miles vs. 316 for the current Y
- RWD vs. AWD for the current Y
- No superchargers
- FSD unavailable

Tesla will soon offer a RWD Y with greater range than the AWD for people who want a lower price and don't need AWD.

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Discussing here about anything else then Tesla is pointless. This tread should be deleted..

Current Tesla owners already invested their life savings in their car and wont accept anything else,not even new Tesla car with new upgrades.

Potential new buyers are looking for best deal and more useful info about their new purchase and this is not place for that.

In other tread someone said be sure to buy MY 2020 version because he owns that.
For him single casting,new improvement in batteries are more harm then good.
So buy now, don`t wait.

I wish i could find forum where EV owners discuss about their vehicles without fanboyism

• Disagree
Reactions: mgraff and Reeler
No Thanks. 3 years of Free charging when you'd probably do 90% of your charging at home isn't that great of an incentive.

Appearance is personal preference but I think the interior looks horrible. Its like they tried to make it look like a futuristic 1st gen EV so that no one would buy it but they can say 'they tried and EVs just aren't selling.'. RWD only and 0-60 in 7.8 seconds: OUCH! 250 mile range.. so that's gonna be like 190 real world range after a year and then throw in that you'll only charge to 80% on road trips so 152 miles max. Why are those air vents so low, is it so they can make their dash look open like Tesla or do they think you'll need extra cooling 'down under'?

What's the market for these like a urban soccer mom with no kids? Were they thinking 'Soccer moms loves Honda's but don't want a mini van...hmmm.. lets rip off the interior and pop out the display screens a bit and we'll have a real winner!' Door handles ripped from the Model S too. FAIL

View attachment 591528
View attachment 591530

"air vents so low". Yeah shame, they should bring price further down for 10k just because of that.
If they did minimalist Tesla interior people would still find something wrong

I wish i could find forum where EV owners discuss about their vehicles without fanboyism

What else do you want a discussion about, the title of the post is "VW ID.4 Free Charging for 3 years! Who wants one?" I see a lot of people posting facts about the differences and people posting their options about what they like and don't like. What would you like to be discussed here?

Reactions: mgraff and DanDi58
I wonder what percentage of electricity used in a Tesla is purchased from a charging station? I expect that for 95% of people the perceived value of free charging greatly exceeds the actual value. So good move by VW like it was for Tesla.

I paid 8.1 cents for electricity last month in Chicago. Even if the 3/Y had free supercharging I would not use it.

This. I just got a model Y and so far I'm averaging about 245-250 Wh/mi over the last 8 weeks. My current electric rates are 12.9¢/kWh. Once I sign up for nighttime charging with my electric co op it will be 6¢/kWh (limited to 11p-7a.) In reality, many people will likely charge at the grocery store or at home, especially if the Electrify America charger is not conveniently located, so the actual benefit would be significantly less.

The entire diesel emissions scandal was fraud and deceit against both consumers and governments that went on for years, harming the environment in the process, so I don't feel sorry for VW. They got what they deserved and I wouldn't argue with anyone who decided not to patronize them because of it.

I had a 2010 Jetta TDI (Diesel). I had it for 8 years, drove about 85,000 miles and really liked the car. I regularly got 35-40 mpg on it, it had decent acceleration, it was fun to drive and practical, too. I was planning on keeping it and giving it to my daughter, but then diesel-gate hit. I ended up selling it back to VW and got a total of $17,000 (including 'owner compensation,') and went across the street to the Toyota dealer and got her a used Camry for $17,500. This was right at the point I where I needed to do about $1500 of preventative maintenance, so I'm not unhappy!

But - I live in MN and if it's below -10ºF (-20ºC) the car would not start. Diesel was about 10-15% more expensive, wiping much of the fuel savings, it definitely had more repairs than other cars we've owned, and the maintenance department at the VW dealership was a pain in the ars to deal with.

Making an EV is more than taking a ICE model and throwing an electric motor in it and VW/Audi are still new to the EV game. Tesla has 10 years on them and 10 years of experience designing software, charging systems, etc. For this reason alone I would not be in a hurry to buy a VW electric car. There are others that have been in the game longer, like Nissan and are doing quite well.

I love my model Y and think Tesla is a great company, but there's no accounting for taste and Tesla isn't for everyone. (My biggest complaint is the lack of CarPlay - it's almost a deal-breaker and I still miss it every time I drive.) The more electric cars are sold in general, the better all of us will be, and competition is good for the market.

Considering people now are comparing the Tesla plug to the lightning plug that Apple uses (as a negative instead of using a national standard), I would say yes, yes they are :p

Yes, In many ways they are the 'Apple' of electric cars - complete with the eccentric, charismatic CEO! A key point with the charger, though - Teslas come with a J1772 adapter, so you charge a Tesla with any standard charger in addition to the superchargers, but the reverse is not true for other brands, meaning Tesla is at an advantage, not a disadvantage because of it.