TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

WA State EV Sales Tax Exemption Updated

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Nevek, Apr 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Daniellane

Daniellane Active Member

My initial impression was that it is a stopgap measure at the final hour. It could conceivably get them to the next session in January which will be 105 days vs the current shorter 60 day session.

• Like x 1
  2. ChrisH

ChrisH Member

That’s fair. I think this extension to 10,000 will expire in November but who knows.

3. Daniellane

Daniellane Active Member

@300/mo possibly Jan or Feb

4. ChrisH

ChrisH Member

I think we’ve been running about 340/mo haven’t we? I think the rate will move closer to 400-500/mo with the model 3 once production ramps up in the next couple months.

• Like x 2
  5. Foxhound199

Foxhound199 Member

I do think someone somewhere thought this could get them through next year. Can't fault them for not seeing the sharp uptick that is coming. I appreciate the effort to get something through when the other bill stalled out.

• Like x 1
  6. Autoxer7

Autoxer7 Member

Looks like the vehicle limit is now 11,000. Senate Bill Report SB6080.

"Extends the retail sales and use tax exemption for clean alternative fuel vehicles so that it expires once 11,000 qualifying vehicles are titled in the state, rather than after 7500 qualifying vehicles are titled in the state."

7. alloverx

alloverx Member

How about making it only for used cars!

8. Daniellane

Daniellane Active Member

That seems to make it more likely to get it to last through the end of 2018

9. MikeBur

MikeBur ManualPilot

Will this get through end of 2018 if this includes used sales?

• Helpful x 1
  10. ChrisH

ChrisH Member

11,000 is better though if it includes used cars AND light trucks (do those exist yet) and such that could be interesting.

11. EVNow

EVNow Active Member

Is there a change to include Used EVs here ? Can't locate it ..

12. Foxhound199

Foxhound199 Member

No, I don't think so. It was in the original bill, but my understanding is that the original bill was completely replaced with just an extension of the existing rules to 11,000 and a description of how the funding source changes.

13. ChrisH

ChrisH Member

Oh wow. They cut pretty much everything? Ideas like requiring changes to electrical code and outlets being installed in new housing developments and such.

14. Daniellane

Daniellane Active Member

Even read a clause about automated battery swapping somewhere in the text of one version of the bill.

• Funny x 1
  15. ChrisH

ChrisH Member

Yeah I saw that! When I saw the first version of the bill I was confused how this one was getting traction when the HB that got shot down by the senate because that one would be WAY more simple to implement. Looks like this one got hacked up haha.

16. Daniellane

Daniellane Active Member

Just curious if anyone who has taken advantage of the existing exemption and also had a trade-in? @pilotSteve ?
    So hypothetically on a $49,000 Model 3 with an $8,000 trade-in is taxable only $9,000 (49,000-8,000-32,000=9,000)?

17. Daniellane

Daniellane Active Member

Just looked. It was in the first substitute bill, but not the 2nd.
    Copied & pasted text I was referring to from the first substitute bill bellow for anyone who was curious:

(b) "Battery exchange station" means a fully automated facility that will enable an electric vehicle with a swappable battery to enter a drive lane and exchange the depleted battery with a fully charged battery through a fully automated process, which meets or exceeds any standards, codes, and regulations set forth by chapter 19.28 RCW and consistent with rules adopted under RCW 19.27.540.

18. ChrisH

ChrisH Member

I was trying to figure this out too. We recently bought a CRV and had a trade in and I was going to dig out the paperwork and see if the sales tax was calculated on the post trade in amount or the original sales price of the car before trade.

Also, in my head I just assumed it is a $3200 discount on sales tax because the sales tax exemption is on the first $32000 of the vehicle right?

Then the question becomes is it $900 for sales tax in your scenario or $1700 because it is based on the full sales price?

19. EVNow

EVNow Active Member

So, when is this supposed to be voted on ? Not much time left for the house to vote on the bill too.

20. ChrisH

ChrisH Member

That’s what I was thinking. Session ends tomorrow?