Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WA State EV Sales Tax Exemption Updated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like the vehicle limit is now 11,000. Senate Bill Report SB6080.

"Extends the retail sales and use tax exemption for clean alternative fuel vehicles so that it expires once 11,000 qualifying vehicles are titled in the state, rather than after 7500 qualifying vehicles are titled in the state."

Looks like the vehicle limit is now 11,000. Senate Bill Report SB6080.

"Extends the retail sales and use tax exemption for clean alternative fuel vehicles so that it expires once 11,000 qualifying vehicles are titled in the state, rather than after 7500 qualifying vehicles are titled in the state."
That seems to make it more likely to get it to last through the end of 2018

No, I don't think so. It was in the original bill, but my understanding is that the original bill was completely replaced with just an extension of the existing rules to 11,000 and a description of how the funding source changes.

Oh wow. They cut pretty much everything? Ideas like requiring changes to electrical code and outlets being installed in new housing developments and such.

Yeah I saw that! When I saw the first version of the bill I was confused how this one was getting traction when the HB that got shot down by the senate because that one would be WAY more simple to implement. Looks like this one got hacked up haha.
Just looked. It was in the first substitute bill, but not the 2nd.
Copied & pasted text I was referring to from the first substitute bill bellow for anyone who was curious:

(b) "Battery exchange station" means a fully automated facility that will enable an electric vehicle with a swappable battery to enter a drive lane and exchange the depleted battery with a fully charged battery through a fully automated process, which meets or exceeds any standards, codes, and regulations set forth by chapter 19.28 RCW and consistent with rules adopted under RCW 19.27.540.

Just curious if anyone who has taken advantage of the existing exemption and also had a trade-in? @pilotSteve ?
So hypothetically on a $49,000 Model 3 with an $8,000 trade-in is taxable only $9,000 (49,000-8,000-32,000=9,000)?

I was trying to figure this out too. We recently bought a CRV and had a trade in and I was going to dig out the paperwork and see if the sales tax was calculated on the post trade in amount or the original sales price of the car before trade.

Also, in my head I just assumed it is a $3200 discount on sales tax because the sales tax exemption is on the first $32000 of the vehicle right?

Then the question becomes is it $900 for sales tax in your scenario or $1700 because it is based on the full sales price?