Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WA State EV Sales Tax Exemption Updated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Watched bits of this video from 3/6
watch – TVW, Washington States' Public Affairs Network
It was mentioned that the intent was to extend it to the next session. Also a mention of using funds from VW settlement (28 million)

Looks like this amendment was added 3/6: (not positive on chronology)

http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2017-18/Pdf/Amendments/Senate/6080-S2 AMS HASE S6185.2.pdf

EFFECT: Changes the sales and use tax exemption for certain alternative fuel vehicles to include only used passenger cars, light duty trucks, and medium duty passenger vehicles beginning the effective date of this act. Provides a definition for "used." Requires new lease agreements to have a monthly lease payment of less than $200 in order to be eligible for sales and use tax exemption for alternative fuel vehicles.

Wait. Only used cars now?

I have a tiny glimmer of good news to share. February numbers were released, only 77 cars were registered last month. I feel pretty confident that the exemption will last at least through the end of June, maybe longer, even if it isn't extended.

https://dor.wa.gov/sites/default/files/legacy/Docs/Pubs/Misc/DOLVehicleCount.pdf
Hard to believe 77, weren't there like 60 Model 3s trucked to Bellevue last month? Is there a 1 month lag in reporting so the 77 is really January registrations reflecting the rush to get registered in December and get the Fed $7,500 in 2018 versus a January registration and the $7,500 in 2019? Did Chevy and Nissan run out of cars to sell?

I wonder why this page hasn't been updated since early Jan? WA State Licensing (DOL) Official Site: Alternative Fuel Vehicles and Plug-In Hybrids Washington State Tax Exemptions

Attachments

• tesla1.pdf
    172.2 KB · Views: 48
  • tesla11.pdf
    194.1 KB · Views: 54
Hard to believe 77, weren't there like 60 Model 3s trucked to Bellevue last month? Is there a 1 month lag in reporting so the 77 is really January registrations reflecting the rush to get registered in December and get the Fed $7,500 in 2018 versus a January registration and the $7,500 in 2019? Did Chevy and Nissan run out of cars to sell?
Looking at 2016 & 2017, looks like Feb & March are the low months. Though not by this much in 2017. So, could be a month lag. Q1 has always been low plugin sales all over US.

Wait. Only used cars now?
I think it’s just amended to add used vehicles. The word “only” is probably being used to constrain the definition of used.
Excerpt from first section of actual text of amendment:

On page 1, beginning on line 7, after (1) strike all material through "power." on line 13 and insert "(((a))) Except as provided in subsection (4) of this section, the tax levied by RCW 82.08.020 does not apply to:
(a) Sales of new passenger cars, light duty trucks, and medium duty passenger vehicles, which (i) are exclusively powered by a clean alternative fuel or (ii) use at least one method of propulsion that is capable of being reenergized by an external source of electricity and are capable of traveling at least thirty miles using only battery power."
On page 1, line 14, after "(b)" insert "Beginning on the effective date of this section, sales of only used passenger cars, light duty trucks, and medium duty passenger vehicles, which (i) are exclusively powered by a clean alternative fuel or (ii) use at least one method of propulsion that is capable of being reenergized by an external source of electricity and are capable of traveling at least thirty miles using only battery power.

Another amendment:

9 Washington residents whose disposable income is less than $125,000.

EFFECT:
Limits the sales and use tax exemption to purchases by

On page 1, line 8, after "apply to sales" insert "to Washington residents whose disposable income as defined in RCW 84.36.383 is less than one hundred twenty five thousand dollars"
On page 5, line 15, after "to the use" insert "by Washington residents whose disposable income as defined in RCW 84.36.383 is less than one hundred twenty five thousand dollars"

There is a button to comment on the bill and options to have you representatives contact you on this page:
Washington State Legislature

I just filled out the form:
5B979FF4-C01B-4F0B-A334-FD798EBC64CF.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Autoxer7
Another amendment:

9 Washington residents whose disposable income is less than $125,000.

EFFECT:
Limits the sales and use tax exemption to purchases by

On page 1, line 8, after "apply to sales" insert "to Washington residents whose disposable income as defined in RCW 84.36.383 is less than one hundred twenty five thousand dollars"
On page 5, line 15, after "to the use" insert "by Washington residents whose disposable income as defined in RCW 84.36.383 is less than one hundred twenty five thousand dollars"

I may be reading this wrong, as I'm certainly not a tax attorney, but RCW 84.36.383 is a freaking weird place to define disposable income since it's about housing.

Is it referring to combined disposable income (defined in RCW 84.36.383 as not just spouses but people in cotenant residence as well) or not?

If it's combined, it's crazy since most who can both afford new EVs and afford to live within commuting distance of puget sound are going to have a combined income greater than 125k.
If not, it's based on the federal AGI, so it's strongly incentivizing anyone who's married with combined incomes between 125k and 250k to file separately, which is asinine, especially since with no income taxfilings, how does WA even know federal AGI anyway?