Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WA State EV Sales Tax Exemption Updated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was trying to figure this out too. We recently bought a CRV and had a trade in and I was going to dig out the paperwork and see if the sales tax was calculated on the post trade in amount or the original sales price of the car before trade.

Also, in my head I just assumed it is a $3200 discount on sales tax because the sales tax exemption is on the first $32000 of the vehicle right?

Then the question becomes is it $900 for sales tax in your scenario or $1700 because it is based on the full sales price?
$9,000 taxable vs $17,000 taxable.
Unless your assuming 10% sales tax rate, then 900, 1700 is correct

Washington State Legislature
80B95B5D-8590-4094-B28B-3837AE1E960E.png
14BD6133-DF73-4D4D-AD3D-3119518C8A3B.png

Just looked. It was in the first substitute bill, but not the 2nd.
Copied & pasted text I was referring to from the first substitute bill bellow for anyone who was curious:

(b) "Battery exchange station" means a fully automated facility that will enable an electric vehicle with a swappable battery to enter a drive lane and exchange the depleted battery with a fully charged battery through a fully automated process, which meets or exceeds any standards, codes, and regulations set forth by chapter 19.28 RCW and consistent with rules adopted under RCW 19.27.540.

California had language to support hydrogen powered cars by having a significant benefit to "car that could refill with energy in 5 minutes" so Elon came up with Harris ranch with a battery exchange and then CA dropped the 5 minute benefit and Elon dropped the program. He also didn't want an S40 picking up a 85 kw battery easily.

I have a tiny glimmer of good news to share. February numbers were released, only 77 cars were registered last month. I feel pretty confident that the exemption will last at least through the end of June, maybe longer, even if it isn't extended.

https://dor.wa.gov/sites/default/files/legacy/Docs/Pubs/Misc/DOLVehicleCount.pdf

Isn’t the original bill June if 2019 or 1-2 months after the 7500 vehicle cap? Maybe that’s what you meant. Seems odd to me that only 77 were registered. Weren’t the averages in the 300s for the other recent previous months?

Very surprised only 77 were registered (though I'm not complaining). That would be the lowest month since they started tracking. Maybe people who would have purchased are waiting for Model 3? I would expect that number to shoot well above average over the next couple months with Model 3s adding to the pile of registrations.

Isn’t the original bill June if 2019 or 1-2 months after the 7500 vehicle cap? Maybe that’s what you meant. Seems odd to me that only 77 were registered. Weren’t the averages in the 300s for the other recent previous months?
Yes, maybe I should elaborate on my back of the napkin math. At the end of February, they were at 6843 registrations. This means in order to reach 7500 in the month of March, there would need to be 657 registrations. Even in Tesla's wildest projections, I don't see that happening. Then the question becomes whether or not they will average 329 registrations/month in March and April. Recent trends suggest they won't, but if production ramps up, it's definitely possible. If we cross the line somewhere in April, the notification will come in May, the credit will expire end of June. If they don't cross 657 by the end of April, then they'll hit in May, notify June, credit will end last day of July. At least I think that's how it works.

Yes, maybe I should elaborate on my back of the napkin math. At the end of February, they were at 6843 registrations. This means in order to reach 7500 in the month of March, there would need to be 657 registrations. Even in Tesla's wildest projections, I don't see that happening. Then the question becomes whether or not they will average 329 registrations/month in March and April. Recent trends suggest they won't, but if production ramps up, it's definitely possible. If we cross the line somewhere in April, the notification will come in May, the credit will expire end of June. If they don't cross 657 by the end of April, then they'll hit in May, notify June, credit will end last day of July. At least I think that's how it works.

Makes sense. And then there will be a gap between then and the 2019 legislative session if this bill does not happen. Personally I think it would be nice if they continued to offer the incentives until 2020 since that is the goal year the governor set to have 50,000 EVs on the road by. But that’s just me being a little selfish and hoping to get this tax break in early 2019 on my 3

Makes sense. And then there will be a gap between then and the 2019 legislative session if this bill does not happen. Personally I think it would be nice if they continued to offer the incentives until 2020 since that is the goal year the governor set to have 50,000 EVs on the road by. But that’s just me being a little selfish and hoping to get this tax break in early 2019 on my 3
Since I am taking delivery this month, I guess I could claim my interest is selfless. I really want to see this state be a leader in EVs. We have abundant, cheap, clean energy. We care about our beautiful, but delicate environmental ecosystem. We need to make it happen, and the legislature can help.

Since I am taking delivery this month, I guess I could claim my interest is selfless. I really want to see this state be a leader in EVs. We have abundant, cheap, clean energy. We care about our beautiful, but delicate environmental ecosystem. We need to make it happen, and the legislature can help.

Agreed. The original version of this bill was amazing but over most people’s heads I think.

Very surprised only 77 were registered (though I'm not complaining). That would be the lowest month since they started tracking. Maybe people who would have purchased are waiting for Model 3? I would expect that number to shoot well above average over the next couple months with Model 3s adding to the pile of registrations.

seems way too low. we were averaging 300+/mo. i know i was one of the 77 in Feb with my M3.

Reactions: UZJedi
Watched bits of this video from 3/6
watch – TVW, Washington States' Public Affairs Network
It was mentioned that the intent was to extend it to the next session. Also a mention of using funds from VW settlement (28 million)

Looks like this amendment was added 3/6: (not positive on chronology)

http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2017-18/Pdf/Amendments/Senate/6080-S2 AMS HASE S6185.2.pdf

EFFECT: Changes the sales and use tax exemption for certain alternative fuel vehicles to include only used passenger cars, light duty trucks, and medium duty passenger vehicles beginning the effective date of this act. Provides a definition for "used." Requires new lease agreements to have a monthly lease payment of less than $200 in order to be eligible for sales and use tax exemption for alternative fuel vehicles.

That is an excellent use of that money! While I appreciate that they are currently earmarking a lot of it for public charging stations, I feel like it is more important to get the cars on the road, and manufacturers should be doing more to make public charging stations like Tesla's superchargers.