TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

WA State EV Sales Tax Exemption Updated

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Nevek, Apr 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Daniellane

Daniellane Member

$9,000 taxable vs $17,000 taxable.
    Unless your assuming 10% sales tax rate, then 900, 1700 is correct

2. ChrisH

ChrisH Member

Yeah 10% sales tax

3. iwannam3

iwannam3 Member

California had language to support hydrogen powered cars by having a significant benefit to "car that could refill with energy in 5 minutes" so Elon came up with Harris ranch with a battery exchange and then CA dropped the 5 minute benefit and Elon dropped the program. He also didn't want an S40 picking up a 85 kw battery easily.

4. ChrisH

ChrisH Member

Someone I know works in Olympia and thinks there’s still time to get it done. He thinks the hold up is ensuring the funding is available in the budget and that is why so much of the bill has been cut out.

• Informative x 1
  5. Daniellane

Daniellane Member

6. ChrisH

ChrisH Member

7. Daniellane

Daniellane Member

I believe it’s now or never.
    I thought this was the last day of this year’s session.

8. ChrisH

ChrisH Member

It is the last day. That’s why I said there are 16 hours left. Not sure how they could possibly get it all the way through the house in one day. Why do so many organizations function this way (wait til the last minute).

9. Daniellane

Daniellane Member

Caught the 16 hr portion of your comment after I posted it.
    I’m sure the house is a slam dunk.

10. Foxhound199

Foxhound199 Member

• Informative x 2
  11. ChrisH

ChrisH Member

Isn’t the original bill June if 2019 or 1-2 months after the 7500 vehicle cap? Maybe that’s what you meant. Seems odd to me that only 77 were registered. Weren’t the averages in the 300s for the other recent previous months?

12. UZJedi

UZJedi Member

Very surprised only 77 were registered (though I'm not complaining). That would be the lowest month since they started tracking. Maybe people who would have purchased are waiting for Model 3? I would expect that number to shoot well above average over the next couple months with Model 3s adding to the pile of registrations.

13. Foxhound199

Foxhound199 Member

Yes, maybe I should elaborate on my back of the napkin math. At the end of February, they were at 6843 registrations. This means in order to reach 7500 in the month of March, there would need to be 657 registrations. Even in Tesla's wildest projections, I don't see that happening. Then the question becomes whether or not they will average 329 registrations/month in March and April. Recent trends suggest they won't, but if production ramps up, it's definitely possible. If we cross the line somewhere in April, the notification will come in May, the credit will expire end of June. If they don't cross 657 by the end of April, then they'll hit in May, notify June, credit will end last day of July. At least I think that's how it works.

14. ChrisH

ChrisH Member

Makes sense. And then there will be a gap between then and the 2019 legislative session if this bill does not happen. Personally I think it would be nice if they continued to offer the incentives until 2020 since that is the goal year the governor set to have 50,000 EVs on the road by. But that’s just me being a little selfish and hoping to get this tax break in early 2019 on my 3

15. Foxhound199

Foxhound199 Member

Since I am taking delivery this month, I guess I could claim my interest is selfless. I really want to see this state be a leader in EVs. We have abundant, cheap, clean energy. We care about our beautiful, but delicate environmental ecosystem. We need to make it happen, and the legislature can help.

16. ChrisH

ChrisH Member

Agreed. The original version of this bill was amazing but over most people’s heads I think.

17. RVD98072

RVD98072 Member

seems way too low. we were averaging 300+/mo. i know i was one of the 77 in Feb with my M3.

• Like x 1
  18. Daniellane

Daniellane Member

Watched bits of this video from 3/6
    watch – TVW, Washington States' Public Affairs Network
    It was mentioned that the intent was to extend it to the next session. Also a mention of using funds from VW settlement (28 million)

Looks like this amendment was added 3/6: (not positive on chronology)

http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2017-18/Pdf/Amendments/Senate/6080-S2 AMS HASE S6185.2.pdf

EFFECT: Changes the sales and use tax exemption for certain alternative fuel vehicles to include only used passenger cars, light duty trucks, and medium duty passenger vehicles beginning the effective date of this act. Provides a definition for "used." Requires new lease agreements to have a monthly lease payment of less than $200 in order to be eligible for sales and use tax exemption for alternative fuel vehicles.

19. Foxhound199

Foxhound199 Member

That is an excellent use of that money! While I appreciate that they are currently earmarking a lot of it for public charging stations, I feel like it is more important to get the cars on the road, and manufacturers should be doing more to make public charging stations like Tesla's superchargers.