Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wait for 2.0 or buy now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the big AP announcement at the end of the year will be v8 of the software. It will include better software for sure, but the AP 2.0 sensors are required to get things like blind spot detection working right.

Worst case, you waited a few months and nothing showed up. Sure you are not driving the car for a few months but it's not like you need a car right now anyways, assuming you have some wheels right now.
Best case, there is AP 2.0 and you get what you are waiting for. Moreover, if you were content in getting the AP 1.0, I am sure tesla will lower the prices on those to make them appealing as they clear out stock on those vehicles.

That being said, if everyone cases is different. IMO, if you can wait it out, wait it out. Better to be sure than live with regret.

The problem I see with this approach is that there's currently no way to tell how long to wait before deciding that AP 2.0 hardware isn't going to show up soon. There have only been hints that that AP 2.0 is going to come, but it's not clear whether that will be available in 6 months, a year or even longer. If you wait for a few months, the situation is probably going to be exactly the same as it is now. I'd expect that when concrete announcements are made, that cars ordered from that moment on will either come with AP 2.0 or there will be an option to select AP 2.0.

Of course that's not my problem; my MS (with AP 1.0) is already in transit to New York to be put on the boat to Rotterdam.

What *I* really want most is autonomous lane change linked to Nav routing, plus 100% confidence on the freeway (I realize 100% confidence will take a while.)

That'd let the car drive itself once you got to the freeway on road trips, and is in principle in reach of the sensor package on cars now I believe (including doing object recognition against the rear view camera which the historical architecture won't allow since the image is passed straight to the MCU display. Tesla could presumably change that at any time without us necessarily noticing.)

I understand this desire but this is why I ask the question.

So basically the one thing holding you back from buying the car of your dreams (I am assuming) is that you currently have to pay attention and (only) initiate a lane change. ;-)

I don't mean to sound like a jerk when I reflect that back and I may be wrong but that doesn't seem like a deal breaker to me?

problem is though - this stuff is all tech related so there is always something new coming down the pike.
That is the only good thing about fixed model years - you know roughly where you are in the product lifecycle.
If you want to hang on then AP2.0 will arrive.
But then folks will say don't buy it until it matures
Then it matures and people say don't buy because the next version is coming, or the new refresh, etc etc :)

Reactions: javawolfpack
I understand this desire but this is why I ask the question.

So basically the one thing holding you back from buying the car of your dreams (I am assuming) is that you currently have to pay attention and (only) initiate a lane change. ;-)

I don't mean to sound like a jerk when I reflect that back and I may be wrong but that doesn't seem like a deal breaker to me?

Oh no. The only thing holding me back is a long waiting list. I confirmed back in April and got a VIN for my X75D a couple weeks ago.

Hopefully I can even pay for it when they get around to building it in a couple months. :)

• Love
Reactions: Zybd1201
What *I* really want most is autonomous lane change linked to Nav routing, plus 100% confidence on the freeway (I realize 100% confidence will take a while.)

That'd let the car drive itself once you got to the freeway on road trips, and is in principle in reach of the sensor package on cars now I believe (including doing object recognition against the rear view camera which the historical architecture won't allow since the image is passed straight to the MCU display. Tesla could presumably change that at any time without us necessarily noticing.)

Nice idea but this won't be happening any time soon. I think we will get some somewhat more robust lane following - handling more of the "corner cases" that the current unit struggles with and some "beta" recognition of lights & stop signs. And I would like to see better sensing to the left, right and rear - whether that's done by camera or radar - although the current leaks seem to imply that we won't see that.

You will certainly not get any active autonomy... i.e. switching lanes as determined by the car. And I cannot see any real integration with the NAV system. In short, I think you'll get a more robust version of what we have now.

Reactions: Zybd1201
Nice idea but this won't be happening any time soon. I think we will get some somewhat more robust lane following - handling more of the "corner cases" that the current unit struggles with and some "beta" recognition of lights & stop signs. And I would like to see better sensing to the left, right and rear - whether that's done by camera or radar - although the current leaks seem to imply that we won't see that.

You will certainly not get any active autonomy... i.e. switching lanes as determined by the car. And I cannot see any real integration with the NAV system. In short, I think you'll get a more robust version of what we have now.

You may be right, at least in the short term. I'm sure it'll be a great car either way, once they finally get around to building me one.

OTOH, I think you might see them edging in to the navigation part - the car knows both what lane it is in and which lanes you need, so even if it doesn't change on its own it could tell you "move two lanes left" without too much additional code.

Great question. I own an 85 autopilot. I understand (not confirmed) they are doing something with improved radar input. Big thing for me, is stop sign/light control. Not sure, but I think Mobeleye (video input maker) can see it but software to control has not yet been implemented. So software implementation maybe soon. I don't know for sure. For me, new hardware is not a major issue until we get to fully autonomous. This required new hardware will probably not be implemented in the immediate future. Perhaps with the 3. To directly answer your question, I would wait for full autonomous hardware, probably a year +from now. Software implementation may be 1+ years from now, however. At least that was my experience with our Sep 84 autopilot purchase.

The problem I see with this approach is that there's currently no way to tell how long to wait before deciding that AP 2.0 hardware isn't going to show up soon. There have only been hints that that AP 2.0 is going to come, but it's not clear whether that will be available in 6 months, a year or even longer. If you wait for a few months, the situation is probably going to be exactly the same as it is now. I'd expect that when concrete announcements are made, that cars ordered from that moment on will either come with AP 2.0 or there will be an option to select AP 2.0.

Of course that's not my problem; my MS (with AP 1.0) is already in transit to New York to be put on the boat to Rotterdam.

Well i said. Worst case you buy it in 6 months. It is not like they need the car. If you do need a car now by all means get an inventory tesla.

Sure there is no concrete hints or news of when AP 2.0 will come out you need to keep in mind how old the current one is. It was release almost 2 years ago. In cellphone world, that is ancient. In EV world, it is still pretty old. Also with the recent bad publicity about how the current hardware is insufficient for autonomous driving, i think it is in tesla's interest to release at least AP 2.0 hardware and update the software to work later on.

Speaking from experience, I confirmed my Model S in July '13, just weeks before parking sensors were added (and months before AP). If I had been paying attention to the rumors of the day, I might have waited a few months. Now I'm looking to trade up, but with the rumors of not just AP 2.0, but the P100 (found in software months ago), I'm waiting before I upgrade. P100DL with AP 2.0 and firmware 8.0 - it'll be worth the wait!

Damnit! I got screwed with my Model S buying a few months before AP and now I have an X reserved, but still have 3 days to cancel.

I will be so pissed if new AP 2.0 hardware comes out in less than 5 months, but if after 5 months I'd rather have the car now...

Does anyone have any insight on an estimated production launch date of the new 2.0 hardware?

Last edited:
Damnit! I got screwed with my Model S buying a few months before AP and now I have an X reserved, but still have 3 days to cancel.

I will be so pissed if new AP 2.0 hardware comes out in less than 5 months, but if after 5 months I'd rather have the car now...

Does anyone have any insight on an estimated production launch date of the new 2.0 hardware?

I think the big AP announcement at the end of the year will be v8 of the software. It will include better software for sure, but the AP 2.0 sensors are required to get things like blind spot detection working right.

Leasing sucks from what I've seen. It cost's more (no tax credit) and you'd have to wait 2+ years...Unless Tesla is saying if you lease you can trade in whenever you want for the newest hardware?
I used to think the same before I noticed the P90D were leasing for only $120 more a month than 60D cars.

Basically tesla sells the showroom P90ds for $100k with roughly $30k in tax credit, but I believe the residual value is based off MSRP,
not the discounted price.

Which means you can lease a loaded P90D (no ludicrous) for 12 percent more than a bass 60d at $80k.

The new hardware will be on all Model S's built after Sep 30. I got that straight from the guy at the Krispy Kreme drive in window, so it must be true.
I just put in my MS order two days ago, so I am in the same situation.
Bottom line: We won't know till it shows. Good luck.
The simple fact that model X have casing for 2nd camera is a very strong indication that this is coming