Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

wall charger $400 vs. NEMA installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know why people so frequently overestimate the importance or value of that. 90% or more of the value is simply having the breaker and the wire run in place. That is there REGARDLESS of whether there is an outlet or nothing attached to the end of it. So if people were using a wall connector on there, and then they unhooked it and took it with them and just capped off the wires, that value is STILL THERE for the new owner of the house by having the wire run already done. If they want to hook an outlet onto the ends of those wires, that is very quick and easy to do.
Maybe I'm wrong but I think I'd rather see a nice tidy outlet than some capped wires and holes in the wall, if I was buying a house. Its all appearances, to be sure, but that is what selling a house is about, mostly.
Actually the advantage to the NEMA solution is you can unplug the mobile connector at any time and take it with you if you are going on longer trips...
exactly... as well as (for me at the time), coughing up an add'n $500 for the WC.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
Maybe I'm wrong but I think I'd rather see a nice tidy outlet than some capped wires and holes in the wall, if I was buying a house. Its all appearances, to be sure, but that is what selling a house is about, mostly.
Well yeah, you don't HAVE to leave it looking bad. Why would you think that? What people usually recommend to make it look nice is to have it end in a box with a clean blank cover plate screwed over it. That does look "nice and tidy" and isn't a hole in the wall.

just full disclosure. if i was looking at buying/renting a home and saw 2 i liked i would pick the one that had a ready made outlet already there

but realistically 95% of other people wouldn't care since 96% of cars in America still run on gas

point is too much is made out of what the next person will want in a house. its more about what works best for you

just full disclosure. if i was looking at buying/renting a home and saw 2 i liked i would pick the one that had a ready made outlet already there

but realistically 95% of other people wouldn't care since 96% of cars in America still run on gas

point is too much is made out of what the next person will want in a house. its more about what works best for you
I also feel that if leaving an EVSE behind will make the sale, then I'm happy to leave it behind and buy a new one.

I went with a 14-50 outlet and then bought a wall connector and a 50 amp electric oven whip from home depot so I could just plug it in. I set the charger to 40 amp max. Now I have the option of letting visitors charge if they have a non-Tesla, or using my mobile connector as a back up if something happens to my wall connector.
Good to hear someone was adventurous like me and did this as well. There's a great reddit thread out there of someone who did this, which is what I used as a guide, but I can't seem to locate it now. Apparently Tesla used to sell the wall chargers with 14-50 plugs but stopped at some point.

This is what I was going to suggest to OP. You can put in a nema 14-50, buy a 50 amp oven cord, and have both. You'll be limited to 40 amps charging at most, but that's more than enough. I'm only running at 32 amps on the charger with a 40 amp breaker because I only have 8/3 wire installed to the plug, but it's more than enough.

Reactions: 3Volts2aTes
Good to hear someone was adventurous like me and did this as well. There's a great reddit thread out there of someone who did this, which is what I used as a guide, but I can't seem to locate it now. Apparently Tesla used to sell the wall chargers with 14-50 plugs but stopped at some point.

This is what I was going to suggest to OP. You can put in a nema 14-50, buy a 50 amp oven cord, and have both.
I am actually planning on doing this at some point.

Reactions: arichard2401
There is a small confusion going on in this thread that often comes up when talking about the charging cable
  • Mobile Connector - this cable used to come with the car and included a NEMA 5-15 Adapter (the 14-50 was an additional purchase). This connector has a 32 amp maximum and has a 20' cord. You can swap out a multitude of NEMA adaptors. Current price is $200.
  • Corded Mobile Connector - The key differences are 1) comes with a FIXED NEMA 14-50 plug, and 2) goes up to 40 amps. This one is currently also $200 but if memory serves me, it used to cost more than than the Mobile Connector by $50-$100.
And of course...
  • Wall Connector - Up to 48 amps of charging and a 24' cable. Current price is $400. In addition to the other differences already discussed, in many places you can also get an incentive rebate from your power company for this item that I believe is not available with the Mobile Connectors.
Also worthy of mention is that there used to be a Wall Connector that had a NEMA 14-50 plug on it (instead of being hard-wired). These can still be found on eBay and from other sources from time-to-time.

• Informative
Reactions: house9 and BigNick
Also worthy of mention is that there used to be a Wall Connector that had a NEMA 14-50 plug on it (instead of being hard-wired). These can still be found on eBay and from other sources from time-to-time.

Or you can make your own like some of us. (Finally found the reddit thread I referenced) This is actually how the Electricity America charger works. Maybe the only reason Tesla doesn't sell this anymore is because you couldn't get the full 48a charging with it? In any case it seems like a good way to go to future-proof yourself.

Chances are that the person buying will probably have a Tesla where you are :D.
Having had two non-Tesla EVs before this (and still owning one), my wall mounted (and NEMA plugged) EVSEs are J1772, anyway. However, the same logic applies. If ever sell the place and a couple of old EVSEs are exciting the buyer, I'll happily get new ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3Volts2aTes