Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Charger Availability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went to purchase the Wall charger with the 24' cable and sold out..You'd think Tesla would make sure to be stocked for end of quarter, but alas, All they have is the 8'. Is there an extension that would work or can you just buy the 24' cable aftermarket? Anyone know how soon they usually restock?

Went to purchase the Wall charger with the 24' cable and sold out..You'd think Tesla would make sure to be stocked for end of quarter, but alas, All they have is the 8'. Is there an extension that would work or can you just buy the 24' cable aftermarket? Anyone know how soon they usually restock?

It seems about every two weeks they restock. You can have them send you an email when it’s back in stock.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Yeah that sucks. So means I’m stuck getting 14-50 or being really dumb and pay these idiots that buy them up and resell them double. Car being delivered on 12/10 so prob won’t have back in stock by then

Or you could use a local charging station and wait until one gets in stock.

I’ve seen a few on here that People have received for referrals and were selling them at or below the $500 MSRP.

Yeah that sucks. So means I’m stuck getting 14-50 or being really dumb and pay these idiots that buy them up and resell them double. Car being delivered on 12/10 so prob won’t have back in stock by then

There are several other options. The ones that spring to mind are:
  • Buy locally -- Call local Tesla stores and service centers. One near you may have what you want in stock.
  • Check third-party online sellers -- You might find something on eBay, Amazon, or whatever. In fact, I just did a search and I found several Tesla Wall Connectors on eBay. Even ticking the "new" box, some are listed at or just barely above the price that Tesla charges. Many are auctions, though, so be alert to that detail. (Tesla at least used to offer Wall Connectors as incentives for their referral program, so Tesla owners sometimes get these and then sell them on eBay.)
  • Buy a third-party J1772 EVSE -- The vast majority of these work fine with Teslas, although you will need a J1772 adapter. Such an adapter comes with the car, so you can use it; but if you want to keep that adapter with the car when you drive, you'll need to plug/unplug it frequently, which can be a nuisance. If you want to keep an adapter "permanently" attached to the EVSE, you'll need to buy one from Tesla for $95 (or elsewhere for more or maybe less -- again, check eBay for bargains). Some third-party EVSEs, such as the JuiceBox and the ChargePoint Home, offer network connectivity or other features you might find desirable. FWIW, I use a Clipper Creek HCS-40 with JuiceNet board (the same as in the JuiceBox) installed and it works fine for me. Note that if you're getting an LR Model 3, most J1772 EVSEs top out at 30A or 32A, whereas the Wall Connector will charge the Model 3 at 48A. J1772 EVSEs that go that high cost more, so this approach might cost you more; but if you don't care, that's fine, and if you're getting an SR/SR+, then a 32A J1772 EVSE will be as fast as the Wall Connector. Note that a J1772 EVSE will not open the Tesla's charge port when you press the button on the handle, but that's the only major functional difference, assuming equal amperages.
  • Wait and make do -- You can charge from a 120v outlet using the Mobile Connector that comes with the car. This will be slow, but it's adequate for many people. If you happen to have a NEMA 5-20 outlet in your garage, wired to a 20A circuit with nothing else on it, you could buy the NEMA 5-20 adapter to charge a little faster -- about 7 miles of range per hour, vs. about 5 for the standard NEMA 5-15. (Note that Tesla's order page for NEMA adapters is pessimistic about the 120v charge rates.) You can supplement that with local J1772 stations or Superchargers. (I know you said local charging resources are scarce, but be sure to check on PlugShare if you haven't already done so. I checked, and there are a lot of J1772 stations in the Orlando area. Even if they aren't the most convenient, they might be useful supplements to 120v charging for a week or two.)
  • Install a NEMA 14-50 and then swap it out -- You could hire an electrician to wire up a NEMA 14-50 outlet for use with the Mobile Connector and a $35 NEMA 14-50 plug from Tesla, then swap in the Wall Connector when you get one. Personally, I don't think I'd do this; although the work of swapping out the NEMA 14-50 for a Wall Connector isn't that huge, you'd be paying for two electricians' visits (unless you do the work yourself) and throwing away a perfectly good NEMA 14-50 socket at the end.
You haven't said much about your personal circumstances, like the length of your commute, whether you'll have another car you can use for a while, and what sort of electrical infrastructure already exists near where you'll park your car, so it's hard to say what might be the best approach. For most people, I think an attempt to buy locally followed by "wait and make do" would be best. If you've got a long commute and no other transportation, buying a third-party EVSE or from eBay or some other third-party seller might be best.

Oh, to explicitly answer one of your questions: Yes, there are extension cords for Tesla charging. I can't seem to find one online just now, but I'm certain I saw one advertised somewhere. (OTOH, it may have been a future product, so maybe it's not yet available.) IMHO, this would be a poor option, though, since it'll be costlier than most of the other options and then you'd be saddled with the extension cord when a single longer cord would be simpler and less likely to come undone. Even NEMA 14-50, NEMA 14-30, and similar extension cords cost tens or hundreds of dollars, depending on their length.

Just wait, or grab one on Ebay right now....... I didn't look hard... literally 10 seconds, first hit....

Tesla High Power Wall Connector Charger With 24' Cable 2nd Gen. Model S X. | eBay

If you want an HPWC and don't want to go to Ebay for it, I'm sure you can find a way to cope with either slow or no charging at home for a couple weeks.... visit plugshare.com, chargepoint, evgo, or the supercharger network...

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: KerryOH and Rocky_H

They restock frequently on that item. They were out on Thanksgiving (when a family member was over who needed one), but then they were back in stock on like Saturday (must have re-stocked Friday I think).

Do you have any places you can charge temporarily in the mean time? If you have a dedicated 20a 120v circuit or anything you may be in good enough shape to last for a while. Even a regular 15a 120v circuit is better than nothing. Just keep it plugged in at all times when at home.

And if you have L2 charging at work or nearby you can take advantage of that. Superchargers to boost once in a while may also help if they are reasonably close by.

This is a temporary situation, keep checking each day and I am sure you will be fine.

Also, the advice about calling the local service center is a good one. They often times stock them and can sell them to you.

I would wait and make due. My wall connector's 24' cable can reach all 3 bay's in my garage. The excess cable just loops around the top of the charger, so it's very tidy. In the meantime get quotes to have it installed. Electricians can use a photo of your panel to verify you've got 60A available.

Reactions: Rachmaninov
You might have one more option not mentioned yet. If you have an electric drier near your garage, buy the $35 14-30 adapter and you will be able to get 23 miles/hr until you install a permanent solution.

Plus you get to keep the adapter which can be very handy for visiting friends/family overnight, as many houses have a 14-30 outlet by the garage.

Patience young Jedi.

just remember after this you’re going to want something else and want it now... first world problems and a check into how our society is running..... not good. Go look up the marshmallow kid test and you’ll be testing yourself to see how long you can go not ordering the wall charger.

just breathe and notice nothing has changed. They will come in and life will go on. They will come in when they are meant to come in. Have you even had a electrician come out to show and talk and show him the manual ( you printed online ) get estimates. Wall charger ain’t any good laying on the floor. If you really wanted just have them lay the conduit or wiring and come back to hookup. If you run wire though wall you can most be assured you are needing a drywall and painter then also.. all that would be sticking out is a one inch hole with wire waiting for the wall charger.

Reactions: user212_nr
already have the electrician lined up..all the ebay ones won't arrive until well after I take delivery, I do about 70 miles round trip daily so the 120v won't work. I'll probably end up just doing the 14-50 and see how that goes just to get by and see if I'll even need the wall connector. I wanted to install it on outside wall of garage so nice and tidy and can charge in driveway since garage is pretty full of household items

already have the electrician lined up..all the ebay ones won't arrive until well after I take delivery, I do about 70 miles round trip daily so the 120v won't work.

It might do for a few days, especially if used in conjunction with other local charging options. If you're home for 10 hours overnight, then a 120v outlet would regenerate about 50 miles; if you're home for 12 hours, that goes up to 60 miles; a 14-hour charge nets 70 miles of range. Thus, you'd be losing 0-20 miles of range per day, net after your commute. If you're getting an AWD LR with 310 miles of range, and if you start with a near-full charge, then you could easily go for a week or two like this before you ran into trouble. Even an SR or SR+ would last for over a week. If you can charge for longer on weekends, this charging schedule could sustain you for quite a while. Add in an occasional top-up at a Supercharger or even a public J1772 Level 2 charger and you could get by indefinitely like this. Most people prefer faster charging at home, but as a temporary measure, it's certainly do-able. As a practical matter, you've got to ask yourself whether the extra cost of a temporary NEMA 14-50 or ordering a Wall Connector from a pricier source is worth the minor hassle and psychological insecurity of using a 120v charge. Range anxiety is powerful, but based on the information you've presented, I think your concerns are overblown.

I'll probably end up just doing the 14-50 and see how that goes just to get by and see if I'll even need the wall connector. I wanted to install it on outside wall of garage so nice and tidy and can charge in driveway since garage is pretty full of household items

For outside use, I definitely recommend against the Mobile Connector, at least in the long term, since Tesla has not given it any sort of weather rating. As a temporary measure it might be OK -- but as I said in my earlier post, you'll likely end up paying a significant cost for a temporary installation. For that cost, I personally would opt to buy a Wall Connector from a third party at an inflated price instead. Alternatively, I'd look into a J1772 EVSE. Some such EVSEs cost about the same as a Tesla Wall Connector, but if you add a dedicated J1772 adapter, the cost will be a little higher -- but probably not much more so than you'd pay for the extra electrician's visit to wire up the Wall Connector after installing a NEMA 14-50 outlet.

Also, remember that if you have a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed, you'll have to get Tesla's NEMA 14-50 adapter. These used to come with the car, but not any more. Chances are you can get one from a Tesla store or service center, but you may need to mail-order it -- and like just about everything else on Tesla's Web store, they sometimes go out of stock. If your car is being delivered on the 10th, be sure you can get the NEMA 14-50 adapter locally or place an order for it now.

There is no need to buy this wall connector only from Tesla. You actually can save money by purchasing from someone else, though you will need to keep the Tesla included adapter on the end of your cable.

You can see examples on Amazon with free prime shipping. Don't know what to recommend for outdoor use.

I'll probably end up just doing the 14-50 and see how that goes just to get by and see if I'll even need the wall connector. I wanted to install it on outside wall of garage so nice and tidy and can charge in driveway since garage is pretty full of household items

OR, You could install the 14-50 INSIDE the garage, the mobile charger connected inside protected from the elements, and the cable going under the garage door and neatly hanging outside with a Tesla cable organizer. The cable is thin enough that you can close the garage over it even after protecting it from damages. Plus you or a future house owner can enjoy charging inside the garage if you ever manage to start parking cars in there.

I would like to install inside garage, but my door/slab has a lip on it. I have an extension cord under it now for christmas lights. not sure how much bigger the UMC is. My panel is about 3 feet from front of garage so i could put inside if i could get the cable out

I would like to install inside garage, but my door/slab has a lip on it. I have an extension cord under it now for christmas lights. not sure how much bigger the UMC is. My panel is about 3 feet from front of garage so i could put inside if i could get the cable out

It is relatively thick and I don't think it likes being bent. As a temporary solution you could put a small brick under the door or remove a window pane.