Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall charger now shows in app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like this is for non-US owners. I don't see the option to add mine along with the other US drivers on this thread.

However it appears the main benefit is the ability to schedule. I'm able to schedule that fine directly through the car and app. Basically I plug it in, but it won't enable charging until my schedule time. Also allows you to set target departure time in the mornings which I assume is to adjust the charge speed to make sure the car is adequately charged for the morning commute. It allows me to plug in my $ cost per kWh thus gives me some charge and cost metrics. The scheduling can be a huge savings for those that are on a time of use grid electricity plan to charge during cheaper hours.

If these are the benefits, then maybe adding the WC to the app is nothing more than a cosmetic cool factor. .. at least for some US drivers. Is there any additional benefits you guys are seeing now with the WC added to the app?

Looks like this is for non-US owners. I don't see the option to add mine along with the other US drivers on this thread.

However it appears the main benefit is the ability to schedule. I'm able to schedule that fine directly through the car and app. Basically I plug it in, but it won't enable charging until my schedule time. Also allows you to set target departure time in the mornings which I assume is to adjust the charge speed to make sure the car is adequately charged for the morning commute. It allows me to plug in my $ cost per kWh thus gives me some charge and cost metrics. The scheduling can be a huge savings for those that are on a time of use grid electricity plan to charge during cheaper hours.

If these are the benefits, then maybe adding the WC to the app is nothing more than a cosmetic cool factor. .. at least for some US drivers. Is there any additional benefits you guys are seeing now with the WC added to the app?

It doesn't do anything that I can't do in the car the only benefit would be if you have a non tesla that doesn't schedule etc 🤷‍♂️ it's in my app and I've never once used it 😂

If it works why wouldn’t they let US owners have it though?
Because it s a half assed implementation for a single market. Presumably at some point they’ll roll out a proper version of wall charger integration that lets you control everything from the app. But right now whilst it shows up in the app you still have to connect to the wall connectors own wifi hotspot to do anything, which can mean standing outside like a lemon.

Reactions: MrT3
Because it s a half assed implementation for a single market. Presumably at some point they’ll roll out a proper version of wall charger integration that lets you control everything from the app. But right now whilst it shows up in the app you still have to connect to the wall connectors own wifi hotspot to do anything, which can mean standing outside like a lemon.
Did it ever become available in the US? I updated the app, but I don’t see an option to add the WC.

Just switched from gen1 to gen3.

Why?
-My company car has changed from a Tesla to a Stellantis Brand and the only advance charging option is 'defer' charging. Not great if you only want to part charge the car to marry charging to "cheap" rates.
-The app for charging the car is shockingly bad, it doesn't show! And the showroom shrug their shoulders.
-The Tesla WC is still the most stylish charger in the UK market

Issues?
-Had to use a WiFi extender as the unit doesn't have the strongest receiver.
-Connecting to the WC's WiFi network (via browser) was easy and updating software via home router was fine.
-Connecting via Tesla app (beta) was hit and miss. In the first instance it wants to just connect via the units WiFi network (using QR code or units ID and pw) and whilst it gives you all the options the connection is lost when you leave the app and have to start the process again.
-However on attempt 20 after 4hours and when I had the WC's WiFi bouncing through the wifi extender (odd I know, probably not the solution, probably the time thing) the app came to life and showed the charger in a garage. Switched the WiFi extender back to the home WiFi and everything fine.

Thanks?
-To Tesla for this neat Beta version of the app (if clearly beta) and a WC that doesn't look like Duplo stuck to your house.
-To UK regs for pushing Tesla into adding this feature.

Quick question ref the tesla charger. Can you restrict it to only charge your car?
Yes! You can select Vin or allow access to 5 other Tesla users via the app. You can also ban non Teslas complete etc

IMG_5010.png

IMG_5011.png

Yes! You can select Vin or allow access to 5 other Tesla users via the app. You can also ban non Teslas complete etc

View attachment 962853
View attachment 962854
I could be wrong but I don’t think the share access screens in the app are what you think they are, pretty sure they’re just giving people access to see history and set the charging window.

You can control who can charge but it’s in the setup menu which you do via a web page after putting the charger into hotspot mode and connecting to it. You can then limit it to Teslas only, or specific Tesla vins but they need to have already charged on the charger to be able to select them.

Reactions: Spacemanwho
Does anyone know if you could get EV Chargepoint grant to help towards the charger or install? i read somewhere Tesla chargers are not on the approved list?
The grants stopped, now they only apply to businesses installing staff charging.

I would say it's hard to pick one charger over another, they are really not much more than a plug after all. The only feature that you may want in the future is a charger that can direct excess solar to a car, which Tesla doesn't have in their charger.

Reactions: Spacemanwho