Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Charger outlet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have the white wall charger in my garage. I used an existing wire that was for my welder because I didn't want to run another wire to the panel cause it's far and tough to run. Well now I want to power another device that uses the same power as the charger SOOOO....I want to install an outlet that I can plug my charger into so it livens up the wire behind the outlet. Anyone know where and what the outlet would be for this application? TIA!!!

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
Well now I want to power another device that uses the same power as the charger
The answer is no.
SOOOO....I want to install an outlet that I can plug my charger into so it livens up the wire behind the outlet.
The answer is still no.
Anyone know where and what the outlet would be for this application?
There isn't one, because it's forbidden by electric code.

Electric car charging devices are not allowed to share with anything else. They are required to be the only dedicated thing on that line. So no, you can't add another outlet to share that circuit.

For sake of argument let’s assume you are currently using a 50A breaker. The “right” way to do this is to put in a sub-panel. Then use a standard 50A breaker for the run to the Wall Connector and a 2nd 30A GFIC breaker (required by code) to the dryer outlet. This should meet the requirement for a dedicated circuit, but of course if you use both circuits at the same time you will blow the breaker feeding the sub-panel. You could add an double-pull, double-throw switch to prevent this.

For sake of argument let’s assume you are currently using a 50A breaker. The “right” way to do this is to put in a sub-panel. Then use a standard 50A breaker for the run to the Wall Connector and a 2nd 30A GFIC breaker (required by code) to the dryer outlet. This should meet the requirement for a dedicated circuit, but of course if you use both circuits at the same time you will blow the breaker feeding the sub-panel. You could add an double-pull, double-throw switch to prevent this.
Thanks...I have a 60 amp breaker to the charger...And was going to put a switch between the charger and the dryer outlet..I wouldn't run them at the same time. One of my impelling reasons is that the panel AND sub-panel are full in my basement. I think I'l put a larger panel in the basement or use double mini breakers to accommodate the situation and run an additional line.

BTW, I have never received a thumbs down in my life until this post..WOW!

That's because what you were wanting to do was very dangerous and against electrical codes for residential buildings.

The way I read it I thought I understood that you wanted to make the wall connector be a plug in and unplug it to plug something else in. Which would be fine except for unplugging and plugging a lot more often which those kinds of plugs aren't designed for.