TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Wall Connector install with Dryer Buddy using 30 dryer outlet

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by Dave Mac, Apr 21, 2018.

1. davewill

davewill Active Member

Those displays are easy to find online, and would not be difficult to add to your box.

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-200-500V-Ammeter-Voltmeter-Panel/dp/B00TH1EH98

https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Frequency-Multimeter-Voltmeter-Transformer/dp/B07JC6X1JH

• Like x 1
  2. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Active Member

Thanks, I ordered the second one (because I want the consumption meter). :)

BTW, this seems to be the exact same one that the Dryer Buddy uses:

https://www.amazon.com/DROK-80-300V-Voltmeter-Multimeter-Transformer/dp/B01MRZAFAF

3. Nguyenning

Nguyenning Member

4. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Active Member

That one is a simple splitter. If you're going to get a Dryer Buddy, I'd strongly recommend a switching version for safety reasons. It's also safest to use the variant with two 10-30 outlets (which implies also getting the Tesla 10-30 adapter as you wrote), since the car will then automatically adjust the maximum current correctly. You can either get a version with a manual switch, or one that auto-switches:

Dryer Buddy™ Plus #1 Custom 30A NEMA 10-30 2-way switcher, 5.5' 10-30 cable to two 10-30 outlets with optional kWh/Watt/Volt/Amp meter

Dryer Buddy™ Plus AUTO #1 Custom 30A 2-way switcher, 5' 10-30 plug cable (before 1996) to two 10-30 outlets with optional kWh/Watt/Volt/Amp meter

Whatever version you get, I'd also recommend this display upgrade:

Upgrade pak for Dryer Buddy™ on order (waiting for build) to 4 Color kWH meter

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Well-Known Member

I'll second what @Eno Deb was mentioning. Here are my general recommendations about Dryer Buddy:

1. Never get the kind that split your 30A outlet to a 30A and 50A outlet type. That's just dangerous.
    2. Never get the plain version of the Dryer Buddy that is just a simple splitter.
    3. The "Plus" version includes a toggle switch; that's fine but inconvenient. The "Plus AUTO" version handles the switching for you. That is the one I would recommend.

6. Nguyenning

Nguyenning Member

Thanks y'all! So seeking honest advice here... as long as you NEVER run the dryer at the same time as charging the car, are there any other dangers to using a Dryer Buddy?

Again, NEVER running at the same time with the dryer... are there any scenarios where an old panel gets overloaded, an outlet melts, etc.?

7. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

As long as you don't do something silly with adaptors. Only use the Tesla ones of the proper current rating.

8. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Active Member

The thing is that "never" is a pretty strong requirement. Are you absolutely sure that nobody in your household will ever turn on the dryer by mistake while the car is charging or vice versa? Or that you forget to adjust the charging start time in the car and it starts automatically while the dryer is running? I think trying to save money on this is saving in the wrong place, considering that an electrical fire could potentially cause catastrophic damage.

• Love x 1
  9. Nguyenning

Nguyenning Member

I'm 100% sure they would never run at the same time... because the dryer is literally just a few feet from the car itself in the garage.
    Even so, my question is just about the Dryer Buddy in general. Even the Plus AUTO one with the switching. Wondering if there are ever any dangers to using one of these things (even if used properly)
    Melted outlets... overloaded panel... worse...

10. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Active Member

The only potential safety issue with the Dryer Buddy (or any other kind of switch box or splitter) is that it defeats the overheat detection in Tesla's connector plugs. So, if for example your wall outlet is old and has bad contacts, and as a result the outlet heats up under high load, the car won't be able to detect that and shut down (which it can if you plug it directly into the wall outlet using a heat sensor in the plug). However, don't take this as a recommendation to unplug/replug the charger from/to the wall outlet every time you want to use the dryer, since constant plug cycles is what causes contacts to wear out in the first place.

11. Nguyenning

Nguyenning Member

Gotcha gotcha. At this point, I feel like I'm better off (safer off) just heading to my supercharger 2 miles down the road once a week lol

12. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Active Member

No reason to be paranoid. It's not rocket science, just keep in mind that charging at 5+ kW continuous load is not something you want to play fast and loose with. ;)

13. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

And if you set the charge rate even lower, except when needed, you can add extra margin.

14. BSAElectronics

@Reza A. (Balto) I reviewed our email exchange and can't figure out why you are bashing a small company behind it's back, I worked with you and sent many responses to your emails, you seemed satisfied and pleasant to work with and now are claiming "There is no customer service, no returns, no warranty" all of which are untrue, why do you feel the need to damage my company? Your post is nearly identical to another you posted on another forum under Reza. This account (Balto) was created between the time period of emails between us, with only a few post, was this just to bash me? For transparency and for the group to evaluate here is a copy and past of our email exchange:

BSA Electronics

Mon 4/22/2019 11:40 PM

· Reza A

Dear Reza,

Thanks for the kind words, sorry to here of your family catching the Flu as well.

Your package was dropped off at USPS late tonight, it should be processed tomorrow with tracking updating later tomorrow. It cost me more but I sent it via USPS as a few of my Canadian customer have said the fees are lower and they don't charger a broker fee like UPS.

My sincerest apologizes for the delay. Thank you for your patience.

Cheers
    Brad Apelgren
    Owner - BSA Electronics

Business days: Mon – Fri, closed weekends and holidays

Facebook page: http://tinyurl.com/bsa101

My online store: https://www.bsaelectronics.com

My org. PDF catalog: http://tinyurl.com/bsaelectronics

Sent: Thursday, April 18, 2019 7:08 AM
    To: BSA Electronics
    Subject: Re: Order #2292 confirmed

Hi Brad,

I did not receive your email below, but as long as our communication is open it is all fine.

We got hit with the flu as well. I hope the little ones are feeling better and your business trip went well. please let me know when you make the shipment because I need to arrange for customs clearance and payment on it.

Cheers,

Reza

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 1:56 PM BSA Electronics <[email protected]> wrote:

Dear Reza,

Please confirm you received the email below, I need to know if my emails are getting to you.

Cheers
    Brad Apelgren
    Owner - BSA Electronics

Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2019 1:53 PM
    To: Reza A

Dear Reza,

Thanks for touching base, you must have missed my email on the 6th, please have a look in you spam folder, her is a copy and past of it:

BSA Electronics

Sat 4/6/2019 10:45 PM

· [email protected]******.net

Greetings from BSA,

Your unit is coming along nicely. I had planned on completing and sending your order before my upcoming business trip. Unfortunately I have had a hard 2 weeks, everyone in the house is very sick including my three young children. This has slowed the process down. Rest assured your build is going well, it's just taking a little longer than expected. I am leaving on a Business trip today for a week and will be back Monday April 15th. I plan to ship your order by the end of that week. My sincerest apologizes for the delay. Thank you for your patience.

I know you had been waiting for a while so I upgraded your case to my new enclosure, a premium polycarbonate case with more mounting options and more room for future customization, it also features a premium aluminum cable gland.

Let me know how you like your unit once you receive it and get a chance to use it. Thank you so much for your business and support. My family and I really appreciate it!

Cheers
    Brad Apelgren
    Owner - BSA Electronics

Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2019 4:26 AM
    To: BSA Electronics

Hi Brad,

My order is now 10 days late, and you are not answering my emails. I am starting to get worried. is everything ok?

Regards,

Reza

On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 10:15 AM Reza A <[email protected]******.com> wrote:

Good morning Brad,

Would you mind giving me an update to the status of my order below, please? Based on the calendar calculator provided, it should have been ready yesterday. I am not in a rush but wanted to make sure everything is in order.

Regards,
    Reza

BSA Electronics

Sat 4/6/2019 10:45 PM

· [email protected]****.net;

Greetings from BSA,

Your unit is coming along nicely. I had planned on completing and sending your order before my upcoming business trip. Unfortunately I have had a hard 2 weeks, everyone in the house is very sick including my three young children. This has slowed the process down. Rest assured your build is going well, it's just taking a little longer than expected. I am leaving on a Business trip today for a week and will be back Monday April 15th. I plan to ship your order by the end of that week. My sincerest apologizes for the delay. Thank you for your patience.

I know you had been waiting for a while so I upgraded your case to my new enclosure, a premium polycarbonate case with more mounting options and more room for future customization, it also features a premium aluminum cable gland.

Let me know how you like your unit once you receive it and get a chance to use it. Thank you so much for your business and support. My family and I really appreciate it!

Cheers
    Brad Apelgren
    Owner - BSA Electronics

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  15. IsthataTesl.a?

#55 IsthataTesl.a?, Aug 26, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    Just to clarify for folks, the individual above is relatively young and an Electrical Engineer. If you aren't 100% sure you can do something like this and aren't willing to study what's required and the National Electrical Code, you'll probably be best off hiring a licensed professional aka an electrician.

On a whim, while my vehicle was outside charging, I decided to check the temperature of the conduit and junction box of the wiring that someone did when the carport was converted into a garage and added a receptacle to the ceiling of the garage. This is all Level 1, NEMA 5-15R stuff. Both the junction box/receptacle and the conduit were hot in temperature!

Long story short, the conduit and added receptacle that a Tesla has now been plugged into for several years (not continuously, car gets driven) was wired with stranded 12V automotive wire. Not all of it, but it doesn't matter. It was clearly a safety hazard and potential fire waiting to happen.

I strongly suggest that new Tesla owners, at the least, verify that any existing receptacle is wired properly, especially if modifications or additions were made to the electrical.

There's obviously plenty of crappy DIY or handyman jobs being done out there. The life you save may be your own.

And yes, it feels great to have it wired with new industrial grade receptacles, actual 120V Romex wire, provided (at no charge) by a friend who's got skills, is/was a gearhead car builder, and is now also a happy Tesla Model 3 Owner twice over.

16. darth_vad3r

darth_vad3r Well-Known Sith

Note: someone else necro’ed this old thread, not me ;)

Looks like they changed it since April. That link goes to a 2x 14-30 splitter now, and then other choices are 2x 10-30 or 2x 14-50 splitters. Maybe fixed as part of UL process :)

Though the FAQ claims to shut off the power if something plugged in tries to draw more power than the outlet supports, so theoretically they could have safely, yet annoyingly inconveniently, had a 14-50 splitter outlet plugged into a 30A receptacle if they shut off the power as soon as 24A draw was exceeded.

Just thought I’d mention this since it seems like they have a decent option in addition to the DryerBuddy option.

Heh, looks like the DryerBuddy also advertises a 30A to 30A plus 50A option, warning you to dial the amps down in your car :)
    Dryer Buddy™ #4 30A 240v Splitter, 5ft. cable NEMA 10-30 plug, one 10-30 outlet, one 14-50 outlet with optional kWh/Watt/Volt/Amp meter

I see no good reason to do this :). The auto-current setting of the Tesla 30A adapter would be well worth the $35.

17. tangent

tangent Member

I just checked Neocharge, they are still at "preorder" phase. That's been almost a year, it smells like vaporware.

18. G26okie

G26okie 2020 P3D-

Not vaporware, I have one and it works perfectly. I got one of the last ones of the batch they had and according to when I spoke to them end of Nov, the next batch would be available in February. They did get UL certification.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  19. Evoforce

Evoforce Active Member

#59 Evoforce, Jan 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    You can easily make your own... and upgrade with twist locks so you can twist on any 240 volt inlet and outlet plug and receptacle that is needed for any roving location.