Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone:

2 Quick Questions...

1 - Is it best to buy the Wall Connector from Tesla, or does anyone here prefer after-market ones/&why?

2 - Who should I have install it? Just any electrician, or do most Tesla owners use a specific company?

Thanks!

I bought mine from Tesla to ensure the warranty. At the time I was not able to find any significant 3rd party savings. I had an electrician install it although I could have done it myself (related engineering background). I would not suggest you do it. I think most local electrician companies can do something simple like this and likely have done one or more of them already. Ideally, I'd have them get a building permit. Cost more of course.

One big consideration is to make sure you have spare breaker panel slots and what are the amperage limits of what you can add. In my case I was not able to add a 100 amp circuit due to all the other things already in my home such as 2 air conditioning systems, spa, etc. I settled for an 80 amp circuit and set the wall connected to charge at the recommend lower charge rate.

There was a local company that Tesla recommended to me (varies by location), yet I chose another company that I had used for other home electrical modifications based on experience with them an much higher ratings on various sites like Yelp.

The house is literally brand new. I'm renting. The homeowner is a big Electric car guy, so he has no problem with whatever I do. I'm assuming I'll need a 240 outlet installed? Is that basically it?

& What did you mean by a building permit?

yes, 240 vac circuit needed. In theory, any modifications you make to a home structure needs a building permit with the city. Some people don't do it when they make small mods to a home, yet I always do it. Opinions will vary greatly on this matter and surely people will chime in with their opinion.

Example, in my case, the electrical installation here in Sparks cost me $250, yet I had already run the conduit from the breaker panel to the area where I wanted the wall charger and I mounted the charger. The electrician did the permit ($125) and wired in the wall charger, ran the electrical wires in the conduit, and attached breakers in the panel. The building inspector signed off and said it was a great job. Don't use those costs as comparison as it is low. Depending on your area, something like this will likely cost a lot more especially since they will be doing everything.

I'd first get an electrician to come out for a free estimate on what you can do and how much it will cost. Again, there may be panel amperage limitations.

And being that you are a renter, I hope the home owner will be approving everything in writing !

You really do not need the Wall Connector. A 14-50 outlet would do just fine.

I kept my UMC plugged into the 14-50 outlet, except when I was heading to overnight trips to visit family.

I did eventually update to a WC, but because I was getting a second Tesla and the WC is one of the most cost effective solutions for power sharing. I need to keep on a 50a breaker. My utility was also willing to pay 50% of the install.

I did get the second Tesla. I haven't yet bothered to add the second WC... the first quote was much higher than I expected and haven't had the time to shop around (and the current solution is working fine).

If you do want a permanent solution or would like 40A (or greater) charging, the WC is a pretty good deal.

If you have one car and need quicker charging, that's another reason for the WC. The included UMC only goes to 32a.

Last edited:
Reactions: Silicon Desert
You really do not need the Wall Connector. A 14-50 outlet would do just fine.

You're saying 3 mph charge is just fine?

You really should spend a few more minutes reading the manual, and/or browsing the forums here.

A 14-50 outlet, when installed correctly and used with the mobile connector, can charge at 30 MPH.

Mobile Connector

Oh no. Avoid 120v at practically any cost (unless possibly you have good work charging and a supercharger nearby for emergencies)

Avoid bc slow or bc dangerous?

IMHO of course. It’s just a touch too slow. Cannot recover a very low battery quick enough. I’m also concerned that it charges longer so all the pumps and such are running longer. Again, imho, I’d rather get the charge done a bit faster so the car can go back to sleep.

I obtained quotes from a couple of the companies listed on Tesla's website. While I'm sure that they were all fine, they were expensive. Running a cable/conduit thru a garage and adding a circuit breaker is rather simple work, which any licensed electrician can perform. Thus, we went with our local guy who was less costly but still complies with code.

I obtained quotes from a couple of the companies listed on Tesla's website. While I'm sure that they were all fine, they were expensive. Running a cable/conduit thru a garage and adding a circuit breaker is rather simple work, which any licensed electrician can perform. Thus, we went with our local guy who was less costly but still complies with code.
Precisely this was my experience up here in Sparks NV as well.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Hello Everyone:

2 Quick Questions...

1 - Is it best to buy the Wall Connector from Tesla, or does anyone here prefer after-market ones/&why?

2 - Who should I have install it? Just any electrician, or do most Tesla owners use a specific company?

Thanks!
I bought Tesla’s because it is specifically made for the second most expensive thing I own. On installation there’s hundreds of threads from competent to scary. I went to the charging tab in my Tesla account, filled out the online form and got a quote back. I accepted quote and within two weeks Tesla’s guys came out and did a beautiful installation. They even painted the conduit. So easy. I did not use a Tesla approved contractor...I used Tesla. My impression is my quote was in between a local electrician and a Tesla approved contractor. I wanted near 100% certainty of a good installation, correct setup, etc..

Attachments

• 1E488329-FCAB-4416-AA4E-58051D6B1B77.jpeg
    1E488329-FCAB-4416-AA4E-58051D6B1B77.jpeg
    175.2 KB · Views: 152
Reactions: boriszima
OK, so I'm having an electrician come out to install an outlet for my garage for my M3. Is there anything special I need to know? Is it called 220 or 240? And do I have to tell him anything specific, or it's just a regular old big socket he's putting in, and I start charging?

In our area, single family homes are mostly fed with 240 volts, while many apartments and condos are fed with 208 volts. Yes, you can have the electrician install a NEMA 14-50 receptacle that you can use to plug in the Tesla Mobile connector. If you have the Model 3 Long-range battery, while the Mobile Connector will charge fine, it won't charge the Model 3 at the maximum rate (32 amps vs. 48 amps). If you have a mid-range Model 3 battery, then that is a moot point. If you don't drive that many miles a day, then the charging speed may not matter much to you anyways.

You can choose to use the mobile connector that came with the car in the garage to charge. I would not recommend unplugging it and putting it back in the trunk every day, as the receptacles aren't meant for that many plug/unplug cycles. If you want something in the trunk to charge for times away from home, then you can buy another mobile connector.

Or, alternatively, you can buy a Tesla wall connector for about $500 new plus tax from Tesla and have that installed on the wall in your garage (and leave the mobile connector in the trunk for those times when you need it out of the house - usually not often). They make a hard-wired version of the wall connector and a version with a short pigtail that would plug into a NEMA 14-50 receptacle.

The electrician will need to verify that you have physical space for the new circuit in your panel, and also should do some load calculations that are specified in the National Electrical code to ensure that your electric service has the excess capacity to handle the new charging circuit. Permits are required in most jurisdictions, but it's up to you (or the electrician) to get one. When I sold a house a few years here in California, I had to sign a disclosure that I didn't have any unpermitted electrical work. Since you're a tenant, the homeowner may want to get the permit. That would be between you and the homeowner.

What other questions do you have?

In our area, single family homes are mostly fed with 240 volts, while many apartments and condos are fed with 208 volts. Yes, you can have the electrician install a NEMA 14-50 receptacle that you can use to plug in the Tesla Mobile connector. If you have the Model 3 Long-range battery, while the Mobile Connector will charge fine, it won't charge the Model 3 at the maximum rate (32 amps vs. 48 amps). If you have a mid-range Model 3 battery, then that is a moot point. If you don't drive that many miles a day, then the charging speed may not matter much to you anyways.

I have the Performance Model - Long Range - How long will it take to charge?

I installed my 14.50 myself. Took one hour, 3ft from breaker box. Cost $125 for 14.50 receptical, wire, 50 amp breaker at HD. Watch you tube video's , its easy. Sorry I'm a geek.
The farther from box the more wire you need. Oh, buy 0 heavy guage wire. Very hard to work with, but sarety is key.
I charge at 24 miles a hour. 32 amps.

• Informative
Reactions: hcdavis3