Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall connector shipment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
btw I know the charge ports on our cars are compatible with Mennekes (with minor changes to also allow supercharging - allow longer pins etc) - does that mean our wall connector can be used to charge other Mennekes-equipped EVs without an adaptor?

A Tesla wall connector would somehow recognize if it is pluged into a Tesla or not. It won't charge any other EV except Tesla's Model S (Model X in the future of course), even the Mennekes plug is compatible, you won't get any current flowing into that EV.

My understanding is that we exchange - that is, return existing. I sincerely hope that the new connectors will have the same form factor, making swap over and connection a 5 minute job!!

I just bought a second wall connector, it's the new single phase 40 Amp Australian model and its externally identical to the wall connector Tesla installed for me in June 2014. I will be swapping the Original wall connector when the 3 phase version becomes available, Mitchell thinks that will be in the second quarter of 2015.

I think that is a question you need to ask of your energy supplier. Controlled loads generally refer to off peak hot water services, and I'm not sure your supplier will be happy for you to add another load to that circuit.
I have a time of use meter and simply set the Model S to start charging at 10PM.
Hence my comment above re the contactor. AUSGRID were quite happy about my setup - but I had a level 2 sparky certified by them do the work. The off-peak hot water relay in the meter is the 20A one, it's controlling a 40A contactor for the charger. I didn't want to move to TOU as it would most likely cost me more in my normal power bill.

Yes it comes with a single phase 40-amp wall connector, and if you have opted for the 2nd on-board charger then in the next few months the wall connector will be upgraded with either an 80-amp single phase or 32-amp 3-phase wall connector.

It depends on what your main feed into the house is, and what your power company will supply. Power companies are unlikely to be happy with an 80A continuous load on a single phase as it unbalances the local supply.

Here in WA a "standard residential supply" is either 63A single phase (15kW) or 32A three-phase (23kW) so we can't draw the maximum amount anyway, although you can get a quote to upgrade to a non-standard supply.