Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Want MY from Austin not Fremont

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What do you do to guarantee you get an Austin produced MY? Live in CA. Don’t want Fremont. Heck I would use my aunts address and get a Texas DL if it would help. Main reason is the casting and chance of getting air suspension. Placed order on 08/21. ETA 06/22.

Just get your car. It’s a great car no matter what. No sense holding out.

This is what I did. Originally I was holding out for an Austin MY too, but I decided to stop waiting and just order my car already. If I end up with a Fremont MY and Austin produces a much better version, then I'll just sell or trade my MY in for a new one. Chances are I won't bother because the current MY is good enough for me anyway.

Upvote 0
My Tesla SA told me Austin will be supplying MY's for the east coast and Fremont will be supplying MY's for the west & midwest. Eventually Fremont will also be upgraded to make the triple casted MY's with the structural battery too, but there is no date for when that happens yet.

Seeing how you live in CA, if you really want a MY from Austin then I think you need to cancel your order and wait until Fremont gets upgraded in the near future.
there's no 'triple-casted' MY.
There are only Front and Rear castings for the MY chassis.
99+% of MY are built using the single, REAR casting only, using a 2170-based battery pack.
If the chassis has both F+R castings, then it uses a structural battery pack. So far only the MY-AWD is this config, only from Austin.

Both Fremont and Austin are primarily making Rear castings - only MY chassis with 2170 battery packs right now.

Upvote 0
2 options:
  1. Wait until the features you want becomes the standard and then place your order.
  2. Buy out someone's VIN with all the items that you're looking for.
Also, just like all "tech" purchases, there will always be something better in the next release. Just get it based on your need. If you don't need a car now, wait it out.

Upvote 0