Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Want MY from Austin not Fremont

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What do you do to guarantee you get an Austin produced MY? Live in CA. Don’t want Fremont. Heck I would use my aunts address and get a Texas DL if it would help. Main reason is the casting and chance of getting air suspension. Placed order on 08/21. ETA 06/22.

What do you do to guarantee you get an Austin produced MY? Live in CA. Don’t want Fremont. Heck I would use my aunts address and get a Texas DL if it would help. Main reason is the casting and chance of getting air suspension. Placed order on 08/21. ETA 06/22.
Surely this post is a joke...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
al_seT: Better cancel your order. Trying to predict when Austin will be producing MYs is impossible, especially since Fremont is already doing it.

...and the showroom advisor is never a source for accurate info. Never. Ditto for Ford, GM, Toyota, Nissan, VAG,..UNLESS you're talking with a career employee that is interested in doing daily research into his/her company. THAT person won't be out on the floor selling cars!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nope, no joke. Tesla showroom advisor stated my MY would be coming from Fremont, which does not offer casting as it’s not set-up for it. I want casting, thus my inquiry.
I refer to this as a "ready fire aim" scenario. Ordering on speculative information, asking randos on the intarwebs where literally nobody can give you an authoritative answer, is not what I'd call a well thought out plan that is liable to match your expectations.

Upvote 0
Nope, no joke. Tesla showroom advisor stated my MY would be coming from Fremont, which does not offer casting as it’s not set-up for it. I want casting, thus my inquiry.
You should cancel, until there is confirmed vehicles with the cast battery. There is no confirmed timeline, etc. no one knows.

Upvote 0
Wait at least six months and then hope they actually ship from Texas to you in California. If they don't, but used so you can pick the car based on the factory.

Having said that, the Fremont cars have been using a single rear casting for a while now. There is no user facing difference from when it was two pieces.

If adjustable suspension happens, there's a really good chance it would happen for both factories.

Waiting will almost always get you a little bit better car, but most changes are small and not really worth the wait, imo. Adjustable suspension might be worth it but it is far from guaranteed to get it.

Upvote 0
Everything is an educated guess, and the guess slowly becomes more accurate over time as more information is revealed. At this point, we know Texas is ramping up and working on pre production Y’s. Documentation was recently filed with the state showing an anticipated completion date of the first 5 phases of the factory by December 31.

Speculation is Tesla will start low volume production of Ys in December or January, with some deliveries coming from Texas in early 2022. We don’t know things like which trims they will start with, or which “upgrades” will be included in the first batches. For example, will they be MYP only, or have front casting and structural battery pack but no 4680 batteries to start?

We are getting close to the big reveal, but only time will tell what Texas produces, and how fast they will ramp up high volume production. By February we will likely have a lot more insight into how things will shake out for the first half of 2022.

Upvote 1
Why would you want your MY from a brand new factory that light goes through some calibration issues for the first several batches of delivery?

Upvote 0
Couple things..
First off, it’s highly unlikely that air suspension will come anytime soon. If anything, it’ll hit Shanghai first. So keep a look out for China Tesla’s with air suspension and that would be a good indication that it’ll (eventually) hit the states.
Second, it would be very hard to get a preference on where your car comes from. It’s actually not 100% certain that Austin MY’s will get the Berlin/Shanghai treatment.

Reactions: msm859 and DanDi58
Upvote 0
My Tesla SA told me Austin will be supplying MY's for the east coast and Fremont will be supplying MY's for the west & midwest. Eventually Fremont will also be upgraded to make the triple casted MY's with the structural battery too, but there is no date for when that happens yet.

Seeing how you live in CA, if you really want a MY from Austin then I think you need to cancel your order and wait until Fremont gets upgraded in the near future.

Upvote 0
from post #4 above...

...based on almost 50 years of buying cars...

"...and the showroom advisor is never a source for accurate info. Never. Ditto for Ford, GM, Toyota, Nissan, VAG,..UNLESS you're talking with a career employee that is interested in doing daily research into his/her company. THAT person won't be out on the floor selling cars!"

Upvote 0
al_seT: Better cancel your order. Trying to predict when Austin will be producing MYs is impossible, especially since Fremont is already doing it.

...and the showroom advisor is never a source for accurate info. Never. Ditto for Ford, GM, Toyota, Nissan, VAG,..UNLESS you're talking with a career employee that is interested in doing daily research into his/her company. THAT person won't be out on the floor selling cars!
Not canceling order. Also had spoken with a phone rep and received same information along with some clarification on other issues such as to how long loan approval is good for and on Tesla insurance. The rep did however ever note my account that I would be willing to accept earlier delivery as people do cancel their orders. Might or might not help. Also now that the people that have been pushing their orders out have until 12/2/21 to take delivery or be canceled there should be some movement on the queue. So no, not canceling my order.

Upvote 0
Wait untill they actually exist, then place order, not before.
No need to thank me.
Exactly, besides.. the moment you actually do get your car something else really cool will be “new” to the car. Tesla is always adding things and no matter when you get your car, an awesome new update will soon be a part of new cars that are built after yours.
For example, I got my MY in March. I was stoked that (by luck of my timing) my car was built shortly after they started adding the new console and double pane glass. Then my brother got his MY in October and now I’m jealous that he has the updated HVAC with biodefense mode. (Although he has no passenger lumbar). The point is, the car will always be getting new and better stuff every few months.

Just get your car. It’s a great car no matter what. No sense holding out.

Reactions: cusetownusa
Upvote 0