Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Want to return new Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stores don't mean you can return products. The big box stores might have that policy, but many smaller stores have strict no returns because they can't afford to support that (esp. a full price return). And if it's a special order and not in inventory, the chances of a return are even slimmer, especially if the product has been used for 2 weeks already (rather than unopened).

Cars also have the extra problem of being registered. That's the real big issue, I'd say. Once it has been registered to someone else, it is no longer new...

First post. OP is 99.99% not a Tesla owner.

He could have asked those same questions before he "bought" the car.

Nah... too many people have fallen for this trap on TMC. Most posters are real. Not all, but most are. People create accounts because they have a complaint all the time. That's the trigger to write, to try to get some answers, to vent, whatever.

Anyway, the odds of at this stage of this one being fake are not 99.99%. No way. That is assuming this one is fake, we can't assume that. Had you said 50:50, I'd be more inclined to agree. 50:50 sounds about right, we just don't know.

In the meanwhile a good discussion of new car return/sale options has emerged. That's good, no matter what!

Reactions: mongo
One post (the first and only post as of now) from the OP.

Why isn't there a second post to sell the vehicle in the sales area of the TMC?

I remember in 1985 when copying a floppy disc with the new Macintosh required moving the icon of one disk to another on the screen. That action was so different from CP/M and DOS that I wondered, "Maybe I shouldn't have bought the Macintosh." Moving the disk icon to the trash can to eject the disk seemed crazy at the time. Sticking with the graphic interface was the right choice as the world embraced the new way of using a computer. The new graphic interface became my career as support for both Mac and Windows computers were needed.

I still enjoy using the Macintosh and would never want to return to command line based operating systems.

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Whether or not OP is real is unknown but just something to remember: new members are on moderation, so they don't have real-time posting. Their posts wait until moderator approves them.

He has not posted any follow-up.

Also please note that new members just have stricter limits on auto-approval. Depending on the content it may appear without any moderator actions.

He has not posted any follow-up.

Also please note that new members just have stricter limits on auto-approval. Depending on the content it may appear without any moderator actions.

Sure - and as said OP has not been back for a day - but my point is, one may not hang around waiting for their posts to get responses when those go into the queue, so there is that with new posters. Just something to consider. It does slow down participation...

It still seems crazy, that was one of the paradigm fails of the classic Mac OS. Of course they changed it a bit later. :)
The trashing of icons continued with our company file servers using AlisaShare on Digital computers. (AFP server for VMS to serve volumes to Apple Macintosh.) The user would toss their mounted desktop share into the trash can to disconnect!

• Funny
Nah... too many people have fallen for this trap on TMC. Most posters are real. Not all, but most are. People create accounts because they have a complaint all the time. That's the trigger to write, to try to get some answers, to vent, whatever.

Anyway, the odds of at this stage of this one being fake are not 99.99%. No way. That is assuming this one is fake, we can't assume that. Had you said 50:50, I'd be more inclined to agree. 50:50 sounds about right, we just don't know.

In the meanwhile a good discussion of new car return/sale options has emerged. That's good, no matter what!

I'm not even pro-Tesla but the company does make BEVs with little competition for now. I'm sure by 2020, that won't be the case.

Now why would a poster put a single post and leave it at that?

What kind of discussion is a new car return/sale option unless the buyer is from one of the states with the lemon law and even then, I doubt his/her issues will make the car a lemon? He/she didn't even provide enough information?

To finance or lease a $70k car only to have buyer remorse at 200 miles is kinda strange. I would never purchase a Model 3 if the ESA doesn't cover the drive unit and battery to at least 160k miles over 8 years. I sure would like some engagement and excitement but no way will I be going for a potential money pit without a good extended warranty.

How big or secretive can the issue be that he/she doesn't delve into details. His username is likely not his real name and does TMC do IP checking? What if he opened an account at a Starbucks or airport, just to pass the time?

Edit:

My bad, I thought he posted a few days ago but it was just yesterday that he posted so my apologies for my conclusion. Hopefully he gets this programming sorted out with Tesla though I doubt Tesla will be customizing his car.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Thank you for a helpful post @internalaudit.

How big or secretive can the issue be that he/she doesn't delve into details. His username is likely not his real name and does TMC do IP checking? What if he opened an account at a Starbucks or airport, just to pass the time?

Just one comment on this: People have vastly different comfort levels at sharing details. I can see the OPs post from the point of view of someone wanting to remain anonymous or they could just be lazy. And there seems to have been cases where it has been concluded Tesla reads these forums and has contacted owners based on their posting...

I guess the biggest thing for me is: The OP's post is not a good FUD post at all. :) It is so vague that it has no deterrent value or shorting value or much anything like that. I mean it can be fake, but it could also easily pass as a buyer's remorse type of post IMO. Even not coming back to response doesn't mean anything, not everyone wants a dialogue...

The reality is, we'll probably never know the truth. Even if the OP returns, that is no proof of anything...

Last edited:
Thanks a bunch. I'll check out their offerings.

My original plan was to purchase a Model 3, but my wait time is so long that I've been thinking about stretching somewhat and considering a Model S. It won't be right away, since I've been reading a lot of speculation about an imminent refresh to distinguish the S from the 3. But I'd really like to see what the rage is about for a few days and see if I should shoot for the S.
Rent an S and see if you like it (you will).
I was also a 3 reserver who couldn’t wait. Happy S owner for a year now, and at this moment driving a rented X around Europe (like my S better though!).

• Helpful
Reactions: BinaryField
Good question. That is correct, I have heard that there is a 30+ condition on the site. However, I have heard of some bypassing that. I'm not sure exactly how, though it's worth a shot to send a direct message to a renter to figure that out. I'm sure some would be willing to work with you, if you show you are serious.

Thanks! That sounds like another option. I'll give it a try. There's a 2017 Model S just a mile or so away from me. That would be ideal if I could work something out to rent that one.

Rent an S and see if you like it (you will).
I was also a 3 reserver who couldn’t wait. Happy S owner for a year now, and at this moment driving a rented X around Europe (like my S better though!).

Appreciate you sharing the experience. I'm looking forward to it!

• Helpful
Reactions: vthomas and Bebop
Hi everyone
sorry i didn't reply i went to the UK for the Jewish holidays and just got back today. However after reading all these replies i can't believe some of the comments i have read on here. "99.99% I'm not a tesla owner" - what a stupid comment why would i bother posting this on here if i didn't have a tesla? "clickbait" - click bait for what? "I am a troll" - ? what exactly have i said thats trolling?

So to sum up, i come on here asking for advise and i get called a liar and a troll.

Thanks guys.

attached is a photo of the tesla that i don't have.

Attachments

• IMG_0466.jpeg
    IMG_0466.jpeg
    357.3 KB · Views: 162