Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Want to return new Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this another case of, “I bought a Tesla and now I have to plug it in?”

Did the OP not test drive, ask any questions? Seemed to find TMC without a problem now that they’re not happy but couldn’t find the time to ask here before dropping $75k on a car. Hmmmmmmmmm

Exactly. Test Drive. If you are not certain still. Test Drive yet again. Still uncertain? Rent out a Tesla from Turo for a couple of days to see if it's right for you. Worth spending the $500 or so to rent it out for 2-3 days then to be stuck in a situation like this plowing down 75K for a car you don't like and could lose 1000's of dollars simply from residual value lose trying to sell it.

Yeah, try it out and let me know how that works out for ya....
I'm not the one trying to return a car. Just mentioning it as a possibility. Once had a Lexus which I didn't even know almost became a lemon. It had a noise in the Bluetooth system. They replaced most of the electronics and it was still there. On thirst attempt to fix suddenly they set me up with a brand new identical car to drive and told me it might take a while longer. It turned out to be a bent ground pin somewhere in the car's wiring harness. A couple of years later a mechanic who actually remembered this when I came in for service told me that they had some engineer in Japan with an airplane ticket ready to come debug it, because the car could have qualified for lemon law return. Luckily they found it and fixed it so the Engineer canceled his trip.

Without details on what is wrong nobody here can offer you specific help.

That being said, in the auto industry, returning a new car after buying it is almost unheard of, so good luck. OP sounds like someone who can't enjoy his car because it doesn't drive for him while he's asleep. What a shame. People were enjoying their Teslas far long before autopilot was a concept. People are still buying CPO 2012s, 2013s, 2014s without AP in large numbers and loving their vehicles.

To each their own i guess.

Exactly. Test Drive. If you are not certain still. Test Drive yet again. Still uncertain? Rent out a Tesla from Turo for a couple of days to see if it's right for you. Worth spending the $500 or so to rent it out for 2-3 days then to be stuck in a situation like this plowing down 75K for a car you don't like and could lose 1000's of dollars simply from residual value lose trying to sell it.

This is a bit of a thread hijack (not that it seems to be going anywhere anyway), but I've been thinking about renting a newer Model S from Turo, but all of the 2016 and 2017 models have the condition that you must be 30+ years old. I'm a bit short of this. Do you know of any way to get around this, or perhaps if there are other alternatives to Turo?

Thanks.

This is a bit of a thread hijack (not that it seems to be going anywhere anyway), but I've been thinking about renting a newer Model S from Turo, but all of the 2016 and 2017 models have the condition that you must be 30+ years old. I'm a bit short of this. Do you know of any way to get around this, or perhaps if there are other alternatives to Turo?

Thanks.

Depending on where you are, Enterprise may rent you a Tesla. I don't know what their qualifications are, and they only asked me if I was over 25 (I'm 55, so it never came up again). This is what I did when I was thinking about buying my MS. Actually, it was the best thing possible. I only had 120V wall current to charge it with, and a bunch of driving over 2 days (and they only rented 75s at the time...). Never got less than 100 miles available and I put something like 200 miles on it in the 2 days. I was totally sold at the end of that extended test drive...

Definitely see if you can rent one--but only if you're ready to go back to the web and order one... ;-)

Good thread. IMO while I think there is no reason to believe the OP is not genuine, it is mostly beside the point if they are.

Any forum thread is a chance to provide good discussion and helpful info on a topic for many readers - not just OP. Unhappiness with a new car and the options you have is most definitely a topic that interests many people.

Internet certainly contains trolls, fake posters and false info, but what does it matter if they provide an opportunity to discuss a topic and provide REAL info... I mean in this case there isn't even any info or leaks to assess for validity, just a question.

Depending on where you are, Enterprise may rent you a Tesla. I don't know what their qualifications are, and they only asked me if I was over 25 (I'm 55, so it never came up again). This is what I did when I was thinking about buying my MS. Actually, it was the best thing possible. I only had 120V wall current to charge it with, and a bunch of driving over 2 days (and they only rented 75s at the time...). Never got less than 100 miles available and I put something like 200 miles on it in the 2 days. I was totally sold at the end of that extended test drive...

Definitely see if you can rent one--but only if you're ready to go back to the web and order one... ;-)

Thanks a bunch. I'll check out their offerings.

My original plan was to purchase a Model 3, but my wait time is so long that I've been thinking about stretching somewhat and considering a Model S. It won't be right away, since I've been reading a lot of speculation about an imminent refresh to distinguish the S from the 3. But I'd really like to see what the rage is about for a few days and see if I should shoot for the S.

The OP wants to keep the post about options he has to return or recoup his money without getting sidetracked on all the possible mechanical things folks will suggest if he elaborates. I respect that.
The problem is that applicability of one of the most obvious suggestions (lemon law) depends completely on the specific problems he was talking about. The information the OP gave simply is not enough to come up with a good answer. Many are just speculating and shooting in the dark.

As for the other point about "sidetracking" (which is brought up in a lot of Q&A websites), sometimes the answer to the question directly asked is not the best way to solve the core problem.

As for the other point about "sidetracking" (which is brought up in a lot of Q&A websites), sometimes the answer to the question directly asked is not the best way to solve the core problem.

True. People sometimes know what they want, but not what they need. I'm OK with such side-tracks and agree more info from OP would be useful to discuss options further.

Personally I tend to see every thread on a forum as an information sharing and hashing opportunity. That is their value. Sticking to some strict "let's just answer the OPs question" does not fit that idea any more than thinking like "we need to know if OP is genuine before answering" does...

Every question and point is an opportunity to share and develop knowledge and help. This thread will come up in many searches for many new users over time and they will get useful tips about what to do in a similar scenario.

In the meanwhile, those of us who do take part in the discussion are learning new things and perhaps are also being entertained. For example, I found @whitex story above very nice.

Even if OP was a complete troll who just made something up, we've had a good discussion on the options you have (and mostly don't have) with returning a new car. Educational.

• Disagree
Reactions: Krugerrand

Thanks.

Good question. That is correct, I have heard that there is a 30+ condition on the site. However, I have heard of some bypassing that. I'm not sure exactly how, though it's worth a shot to send a direct message to a renter to figure that out. I'm sure some would be willing to work with you, if you show you are serious.

• Helpful
Reactions: BinaryField
Let's assume the OP is really in this situation. The OP joined yesterday and has made only one post, and let's assume the OP really did buy a new Tesla, and was surprised about some functionality that was missing, broken, or didn't work as expected.

However, until the OP can provide more details on the specific areas of concern, any responses to the OP's concerns are pretty useless.

Without more information - there's no way for us to tell what the OP is concerned about...

ROBERTJS - CAN YOU PROVIDE US MORE DETAILS ON YOUR AREAS OF CONCERN???

I'm starting to think op is one of those tesla haters who is trying to scare away potential buyers, what better place to talk sh** than a forum where potential buyers would visit to gain info about the car

"Hey guys this car sucks, I won't give a credible reason, it just does! Tesla sucks! No dealership model sucks!
I wasn't able to return the tesla! When I bought my cars from dealers I was able to return them for FULL REFUND + compensation for having to drive the car!
We need dealerships, they are there to protect us, they really should be considered a non profit organization"

I bet the OP is just disappointed with UI inadequacies. There are many known ones, for years already, and fixing them is a matter of allow engineers to prioritize them. Such little things will frustrate some people more than others. As with autostoor which is no longer the best on the market, especially on new cars. If you saw a year old autosteer video, you're going to be bummed out buying a new car today.

It's a computer on wheels, and you can't switch the operating system. Lack of a longer test drive may have gotten costly for the OP, unrealistic expectations? If you buy such a car without getting informed properly, I bet the hit on the early sale won't bring the house or next holiday in jeopardy.