TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Warm Circuit Breaker - Normal?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by dave, Jan 23, 2013.

1. dave

dave Member

Just got my Model S! She's been plugged into the brand new 50 Amp circuit for about two hours. Since it is a new circuit, I went around checking the connections for anything out of the ordinary.

I noticed the new circuit breaker in the panel is slightly warmer than the rest of them. Is this normal, or something to be concerned about? It is by no means hot, and it is only slightly warmer than the rest, but there is a very small temperature change.

FlasherZ probably just has me paranoid, but I wanted to make sure that was normal! Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Dave

2. steve841

steve841 Active Member

If you are concerned about that made in china breaker, just cut the amps down in the car.... My breaker buzzed when drawing 40amps so I turned it down to 30 for my sanity.

3. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Yes your wire and cable and breaker will get slightly hot. They are resistive elements and dissipate energy from the circuit. As long as they stay warm and they aren't hot to the touch they should be fine.

4. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Slightly warmer is just fine, especially for high currents. If it gets hot to the touch, you have a problem. Otherwise you're fine.

5. dave

dave Member

Thanks guys! It's definitely not hot, just a tad warmer. Sounds like I'm in good shape.

6. Zextraterrestrial

You have a Tesla, I'd say you're in good shape :tongue:

to be on trackish - the 14-50 plug tips get pretty 'hot' after a good charge

7. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

In my experience, it is normal for the breaker on a heavily loaded circuit to get warm (not hot).