Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WARNING: I rear-ended someone today while using Auto Pilot in my brand new P90D!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2015 Hyundai Genesis - Automatic Emergency Braking test - YouTube

Volvo Trucks - Emergency braking at its best! - YouTube

Could keep posting, but what I am saying is they advertise all this safety crap as a marketing sell. then small text disclaimer it in the manual which you wont see until after you bought the car. they call it one thing aloud, AEB, then write is as CAB (computer assisted braking etc) Just saying.

He didn't say how fast he was going BUT he did say it slowed down, after a certain speed like 50 mph I think it only mitigates the crash. under 40 I believe it is supposed to stop fully. at least the ones I saw in those videos do. But full highway speed at 70 into a stopped vehicle perhaps wouldn't have stopped. but it should have at least applied full brakes. You know, since that is how it is sold and advertised. otherwise it's simply false advertising. and almost as bad as saying cigarettes are safe, like tobacco companies used to say until the mid 90's when they finally got sued.
The videos are marketting, not real. The Tesla one never advertises that AEB will stop the car, regardless of speed, in fact it specifically states that it will not, and that it will release all braking once it drops below a certain speed.
As for the competitors, I admit some of them advertise that it will stop the car, but I don't know if the actual warnings state the same or not. If anything this is a case of Tesla being more honest than the competition.

As you are not an owner, perhaps your feedback would be far more appreciated in the Honda forum than your trolling in this one.

I was going to buy one, but after all the crap I have been waiting it out, first seat belt issue, then the super charger causing one to explode, then this. and even the other faulty issues, it's like the first gen Iphones, any first adopter gets screwed over on their learning curve, I have been waiting for just these things to pop up.

Of course I still follow it and still want to get one, but for now, I am waiting all the bugs, unlike some I don't just rush into things, as well as reading manuals, like these people clearly didn't do as they put too much trust into the system. I am merely saying they shouldn't advertise a feature that does not do what they say it does, weather or not it is legalese in a manual. thats bait and switch. say one thing but it is another.

The videos are marketting, not real. The Tesla one never advertises that AEB will stop the car, regardless of speed, in fact it specifically states that it will not, and that it will release all braking once it drops below a certain speed.
As for the competitors, I admit some of them advertise that it will stop the car, but I don't know if the actual warnings state the same or not. If anything this is a case of Tesla being more honest than the competition.

If I understand correctly the key is when you hear the AEB beeps that you actually press the brake pedal.

This instructs the car that you indeed want to stop and it applies maximum emergency braking.

- - - Updated - - -

I was going to buy one, but after all the crap I have been waiting it out, first seat belt issue, then the super charger causing one to explode, then this. and even the other faulty issues, it's like the first gen Iphones, any first adopter gets screwed over on their learning curve, I have been waiting for just these things to pop up.

Of course I still follow it and still want to get one, but for now, I am waiting all the bugs, unlike some I don't just rush into things, as well as reading manuals, like these people clearly didn't do as they put too much trust into the system. I am merely saying they shouldn't advertise a feature that does not do what they say it does, weather or not it is legalese in a manual. thats bait and switch. say one thing but it is another.

Except Tesla never claimed their driving aids will prevent accidents in cases where the driver is negligent in driving the car safely.

If I understand correctly the key is when you hear the AEB beeps that you actually press the brake pedal.

This instructs the car that you indeed want to stop and it applies maximum emergency braking.

- - - Updated - - -

Except Tesla never claimed their driving aids will prevent accidents in cases where the driver is negligent in driving the car safely.

Then do not call anything automatic, automatic wipers operate with out any user interaction ASSISTED xx only is an assistance, do not name something AUTOMATIC (EMERGENCY) Braking lol.

I saw a video on TV the other day and apparently what happened there is that the driver touched the wheel and turned off the AP and thus hit the curb. Driver error. The funny thing is the driver didn't even realize he'd touched the wheel. Only on instant replay of the video did he realize what he'd done. I'm guessing that's the case in this scenario too.

WOw really? well I may have found 3 of 3 deal breakers, lol since there are alot of even lower end cars that ave automatic emergency braking. I think even a honda does, for a car to have autopilot yet not stop from an emergency then that's a deal breaker.
Not sure if you still feel this way, but I think this is by far the most intelligent car I've ever driven. After a 2015 M3, 2 X-5's, Porsche, Aston Martin, and lots of regular cars, this one is simply amazing. If AEB is a deal-killer for you, perhaps this isn't the right car for you. I didn't see what the other 2 dealbreakers were for you. But I can kind of understand. We all waited SO LONG for the AP software update for hands free driving. It was later than promised, and blah blah blah. But as soon as we had our hands on it we were all happy kids again playing with our new toy.

If you truly love the car you'll love owning one. But if you want a car that automatically stops for you (outside of AP) then no, this isn't the car for you. It'll alert you and show every car on the road on the display so you know what's in front of you. But you still have to preserve your own life. Don't think that we're able to just trust everything to any car just yet. We'll hopefully get there. But in a world full of crappy drivers - the only time we'll truly be safe is when EVERY car is autonomous.

I hope you change your mind about the car. But either way, just know that those deal breakers aren't as big a deal as you're making them out to be.

Then do not call anything automatic, automatic wipers operate with out any user interaction ASSISTED xx only is an assistance, do not name something AUTOMATIC (EMERGENCY) Braking lol.
Maybe we shouldn't call these things AUTOmobiles either then, we'll call them ASSISTEDmobiles instead...

Give me a break! Automatic, has never, in the history of mankind, been the same word as Autonomous, they imply completely different things.

Even using your definition of automatic though (which is completely out to lunch) it still isn't misleading though, because it does in fact apply the brakes automatically, which is all it claims to do, it isn't Autonomous Emergency Stopping, it's Automatic Emergency Braking, which is EXACTLY what it does, there's no possible better explanation of the system.

Maybe we shouldn't call these things AUTOmobiles either then, we'll call them ASSISTEDmobiles instead...

Give me a break! Automatic, has never, in the history of mankind, been the same word as Autonomous, they imply completely different things.

Even using your definition of automatic though (which is completely out to lunch) it still isn't misleading though, because it does in fact apply the brakes automatically, which is all it claims to do, it isn't Autonomous Emergency Stopping, it's Automatic Emergency Braking, which is EXACTLY what it does, there's no possible better explanation of the system.
I agree with green1. Stop with the semantics! It brakes automatically to reduce the severity of the impact. Autopilot in a plane flies the plane, but it is in NO way a replacement for a pilot. This type of whining, especially from someone who doesn't even think he'll own the car, is just boring to me.

AEB isn't a tesla product. It's made by 3rd parties like TRW. It's becoming standard. NHTSA & IHSS recommend it and 10 major manufacturers agreed to make it standard on every auto. The last several cars we've bought have it.

Not sure why anyone would not want it. It'll be hard to buy a car soon that doesn't have it (like airbags, abs, etc).

Even if you don't have, you'll be glad if the person that rear-ends you has it. Getting hit at 10 mph as opposed to 40 mph is significantly better for your spine!

image.jpeg

Last edited:

* seat belt issue, what one person noticed a bolt loose that caused no injury or death? Compared to other car manufacturers with actual issues that cause injury and death.

* supercharger causing a car to explode? Are you on crack? Never happened, never will.

There was a car that got hit by lightning in the US while at a supercharger but it didn't explode. Tesla repaired the electrical damage.

There was a car in Norway that caught on fire but it didn't explode and it wasn't related to supercharging.

There was a car in Mexico that caught on fire but it didn't explode and it wasn't related to supercharging.

I could go on and on detailing Teslas that got damaged somehow but I can't give you an example of one exploding.

Would you care to inform yourself about what really happens in the world or do you just want to run around saying Tesla's explode because you like the way that sounds?

If/When you get one, your only regret will be that you didn't get it sooner.

I have not had good luck on curves with cruise control; almost ran into the back of someone before I hit the brakes hard - 35mph. Curvy roads are not my friend, cruise control or AP. AP does not like 90 degree turns at 25mph. It makes them but uses both lanes to do it. I hope I'm more wary now and less apt to "test" the limits. I use 7 for a following distance because I live in a less congested part of the country.

- - - Updated - - -

sandstruck: Thank you. I appreciate you contributing to my education and my family's safety by prompting this discussion.

Have you used TACC a lot and if you used more than "two car dist" did you find other cars were coming between you and the car ahead?

Just to clarify, TACC step calibration is in seconds rather than car lengths. thus a setting of 2 means the Tesla will occupy the same space of the vehicle ahead right now, two minutes in the future. That setting of 2 yields a pretty decent interval, probably quite close to the classic driver training recommendation of one car length per ten mph of speed.

Snob of the year award worthy comment right here...

Not trying to be a snob - I went through many years of low income and low net worth myself. We've all been there.

But with this poster there were long discussions where people tried to tell this guy he was in no position to buy one, that he was shooting himself in the foot financially, etc. etc. He wouldn't listen to reason. Then he didn't financed anyway and publicly told everyone so. Now he's back claiming there are multiple "deal breakers" with the car itself preventing him from buying one.