Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washington State Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you're mixing two concepts - licensing fees and sales tax. If you live in a non-RTA zone, the licensing fees will get collected when purchasing at a dealer inside the RTA zone, but it will get refunded back later. Sales tax is where you take delivery.
I understand that but part of your sales tax is RTA as well. They are kind of double dipping. For instance if you live in Issaquah, order from Bellevue and they deliver to your house in Issaquah you could pay taxes in location code 1714 which is Issaquah- RTA or you could pay 4014 which is Issaquah non-RTA. Tax rate is 10.1% in 1714 but only 8.7% in 4014. The Auburn area is terrible as well, 5 different location codes and 3 different tax rates (1700, 4000, 1701, 1702 and 2724). If you buy from Renton and live in a non RTA zone you still pay the sales tax portion of the RTA tax (an additional 1.4%) but you would not be responsible for the RTA vehicle registration fees.

Example from the sales tax document you linked above look at the first entries under pierce county.

PIERCE (Eff. 1/1/22) (2) (2) (2)
Unincorp. Areas............................. 2700 .029 .065 .094
Unincorp. Areas Non-RTA.......... 4100 .015 .065 .080
Unincorp. Areas Non-RTA HBZ 2789 .015 .065 .080
Unincorp. PTBA* ........................... 2727 .035 .065 .100
Unincorp. PTBA* Non-RTA ........ 4127 .021 .065 .086
Unincorp. PTBA* HBZ ±............. 2787 .021 .065 .086

These are all different tax rates depending on if they are in the hospital benefit zone, RTA zone or the public transit benefit zone.

Source: I used to be a district manager for NAPA auto parts, we had to code every customer we delivered to to a location code based upon their delivery address and maintain the sales tax rate changes by location code every quarter when the state updates it. I maintained the records for all of our customers in the puget sound area from Tacoma to Marysville.

From department of revenues website: Regional transit authority (RTA) tax | Washington Department of Revenue.

• Helpful
Reactions: Corndart
I understand that but part of your sales tax is RTA as well. They are kind of double dipping. For instance if you live in Issaquah, order from Bellevue and they deliver to your house in Issaquah you could pay taxes in location code 1714 which is Issaquah- RTA or you could pay 4014 which is Issaquah non-RTA. Tax rate is 10.1% in 1714 but only 8.7% in 4014. The Auburn area is terrible as well, 5 different location codes and 3 different tax rates (1700, 4000, 1701, 1702 and 2724). If you buy from Renton and live in a non RTA zone you still pay the sales tax portion of the RTA tax (an additional 1.4%) but you would not be responsible for the RTA vehicle registration fees.

Example from the sales tax document you linked above look at the first entries under pierce county.

PIERCE (Eff. 1/1/22) (2) (2) (2)
Unincorp. Areas............................. 2700 .029 .065 .094
Unincorp. Areas Non-RTA.......... 4100 .015 .065 .080
Unincorp. Areas Non-RTA HBZ 2789 .015 .065 .080
Unincorp. PTBA* ........................... 2727 .035 .065 .100
Unincorp. PTBA* Non-RTA ........ 4127 .021 .065 .086
Unincorp. PTBA* HBZ ±............. 2787 .021 .065 .086

These are all different tax rates depending on if they are in the hospital benefit zone, RTA zone or the public transit benefit zone.

Source: I used to be a district manager for NAPA auto parts, we had to code every customer we delivered to to a location code based upon their delivery address and maintain the sales tax rate changes by location code every quarter when the state updates it. I maintained the records for all of our customers in the puget sound area from Tacoma to Marysville.

From department of revenues website: Regional transit authority (RTA) tax | Washington Department of Revenue.
If you take home delivery, do they tax where the vehicle is delivered or is tax "anchored" to the service center that "fulfilled" the order?

If you take home delivery, do they tax where the vehicle is delivered or is tax "anchored" to the service center that "fulfilled" the order?
Home delivery should be the location that they deliver the car. Washington state bases sales tax on where you receive the item unless it is delivered by a third party public carrier. Since Tesla is delivering the car to you directly it should be based on delivery location.

• Helpful
Reactions: Corndart
I understand about the tax rate on home delivery. I currently live in the city of Seattle but could also take delivery at a SC. Does anyone know which SC in the puget sound region has the lowest sales tax rate? My understanding is that lynwood is high, renton has lower, anyone know for sure?

I understand about the tax rate on home delivery. I currently live in the city of Seattle but could also take delivery at a SC. Does anyone know which SC in the puget sound region has the lowest sales tax rate? My understanding is that lynwood is high, renton has lower, anyone know for sure?
Renton is lowest. Both Bellevue and Sodo only allow home delivery and this you will be charged your home address/Seattle tax rate. I was going to swap my delivery to Renton but they wouldn’t allow it.

Only missed out a on a few $100, I think

Renton is lowest. Both Bellevue and Sodo only allow home delivery and this you will be charged your home address/Seattle tax rate. I was going to swap my delivery to Renton but they wouldn’t allow it.

Only missed out a on a few $100, I think
Do you mean that the best money saving strategy for people around Seattle is to go to the Renton location and book from there? I thought all the taxes and registration fees would be calculated by your registration address. Isn't it?

Picked up MYLR yesterday!! Absolutely beautiful. Ryzen is way snappier than Atom and even on 10.2 the FSD graphics are MUCH smoother. MYLR definitely feels heavier than MYSR when driving. No dual pane rear glass - but I did notice a few minor improvements from when I picked up the SR in June. Felt pads now line the interior-facing sides of the seatbelt latches, to keep them from scratching the console. Steering wheel is able to adjust slightly higher than in my other one. Seatbelts are updated and more comfortable. Seat motors are louder but much stronger (they struggled in older demo cars and my SR). The climate system is louder (assuming due to the HEPA filter) even without BDM on.

Also, fitment was damn near perfect. Absent a few inconspicuous paint chips, a quickly fixed interior smudge, a slightly misaligned plastic piece, and some very nitpicky window liner issues, I was very pleased. Much improved over the MYs I was seeing rolling out 6-8 months ago.

Do you mean that the best money saving strategy for people around Seattle is to go to the Renton location and book from there? I thought all the taxes and registration fees would be calculated by your registration address. Isn't it?
It's taxed on delivery location. Because Sodo and Bellevue only do home delivery, you're taxed based on home address. If you take delivery at Lynnwood or Renton, you are taxed at those rates. Renton is lowest

Picked up MYLR yesterday!! Absolutely beautiful. Ryzen is way snappier than Atom and even on 10.2 the FSD graphics are MUCH smoother. MYLR definitely feels heavier than MYSR when driving. No dual pane rear glass - but I did notice a few minor improvements from when I picked up the SR in June. Felt pads now line the interior-facing sides of the seatbelt latches, to keep them from scratching the console. Steering wheel is able to adjust slightly higher than in my other one. Seatbelts are updated and more comfortable. Seat motors are louder but much stronger (they struggled in older demo cars and my SR). The climate system is louder (assuming due to the HEPA filter) even without BDM on.

Also, fitment was damn near perfect. Absent a few inconspicuous paint chips, a quickly fixed interior smudge, a slightly misaligned plastic piece, and some very nitpicky window liner issues, I was very pleased. Much improved over the MYs I was seeing rolling out 6-8 months ago.
What location did you pick it up from.

Just got bumped into the 2nd quarter - 6 April to 4 May. Was really hopeful with that narrow window I had for a little while (29 March - 31 March). Does give me a little bit more time to get our 2nd car sold or traded in, but was really hoping it would be here in March (more time for using the car for yard work tool hauling and stuff)...

Really seems like my EDD is bouncing all over the place (everything has been complete, which makes things a bit more annoying, too.)

Last edited:
What was the pick up process like.
Slow, but easy. They were slammed. I came early and that was wise, just to give them time to prep. Also, I wanted to do my initial inspection before taking delivery with some sunlight left. The guy helping me clearly is not used to selling model Ys to people who already own one - he kept trying to walk me through the most basic *sugar*, and I just politely let him for the most part because I was so excited to be in my new car but it was a little annoying to be told things like "this is how you set up a profile". Lmao I know dude. But by letting him do his entire spiel I actually learned some new things so it was worth it in the end! They cleaned the car up from the transport and polished the outside to make it nice and beautiful. Came with PPF, and he said all MYs in the PNW will get both rear PPF and mudflaps (apparently the only region it is standard), but mudflaps weren't in at the moment so they submitted a service requested. Signed a few pieces of paper, handed over the check, and was on my way!!

Reactions: Obiwanjr
Slow, but easy. They were slammed. I came early and that was wise, just to give them time to prep. Also, I wanted to do my initial inspection before taking delivery with some sunlight left. The guy helping me clearly is not used to selling model Ys to people who already own one - he kept trying to walk me through the most basic *sugar*, and I just politely let him for the most part because I was so excited to be in my new car but it was a little annoying to be told things like "this is how you set up a profile". Lmao I know dude. But by letting him do his entire spiel I actually learned some new things so it was worth it in the end! They cleaned the car up from the transport and polished the outside to make it nice and beautiful. Came with PPF, and he said all MYs in the PNW will get both rear PPF and mudflaps (apparently the only region it is standard), but mudflaps weren't in at the moment so they submitted a service requested. Signed a few pieces of paper, handed over the check, and was on my way!!
Very cool, I was down there around 11am on Saturday to look at my car. I tried to talk them into giving it to me right then, but they said no. I will be back tomorrow to pick it up. What color was your Y?