Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Watching for I-70 Superchargers from Denver to St. Louis

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tiger Hotel location should probably be scouted to see how viable it is. I guess I could do that, if anyone wants me to. It's downtown, so you won't get a huge free access lot. Probably either a very crowded lot with ICE'ing danger, or an expensive and/or private lot. The chargers must either be in the tiny side lot across the street or in the parking garage nearby.

The Tiger Hotel location should probably be scouted to see how viable it is. I guess I could do that, if anyone wants me to. It's downtown, so you won't get a huge free access lot. Probably either a very crowded lot with ICE'ing danger, or an expensive and/or private lot. The chargers must either be in the tiny side lot across the street or in the parking garage nearby.

It won't work for the quick KC to STL or back travelers, but for cross-country traveler, if they can arrange their schedules to do an overnight at the Tiger Hotel in Columbia, that is a prefect way to bridge the Independence to St Charles gap for now. Too bad the Tiger Hotel does not have a restaurant or bar, for quicker stops.

The Tiger Hotel Home Page

It won't work for the quick KC to STL or back travelers, but for cross-country traveler, if they can arrange their schedules to do an overnight at the Tiger Hotel in Columbia, that is a prefect way to bridge the Independence to St Charles gap for now. Too bad the Tiger Hotel does not have a restaurant or bar, for quicker stops.

The Tiger Hotel Home Page
It is only 219 miles from the Independence Supercharger to the St. Charles Supercharger. Even at highway speeds that trip is possible. it would be pretty easy to add 60 miles of range in an hour at the HPWC (assuming it's 80 amps). Not perfect, I agree, but even for a quick trip that's not too shabby. I bet many people could get away with just 30 minutes.

It is only 219 miles from the Independence Supercharger to the St. Charles Supercharger. Even at highway speeds that trip is possible. it would be pretty easy to add 60 miles of range in an hour at the HPWC (assuming it's 80 amps). Not perfect, I agree, but even for a quick trip that's not too shabby. I bet many people could get away with just 30 minutes.

You are correct.

At average highway speeds (1.0), an 85 on 19's, and standard conditions, EVTripPlanner says 246 rated miles St Charles to Independence. Reduce the 1.0 speed multiplier to 0.95 (70 to 66 mph average speed) and the rated mile drop from 246 to 232 and the time to do the drive goes up to 3:13 from 3:04. Slowing down just a little and charging to 98% can make this reasonable in good weather.

I-70 still needs Columbia...

I still haven't found or heard anything about Columbia. I hope they put one there soon. I think Boonville or Kingdom City would probably be easy for Tesla to set up, but I really don't want to see this happen unless they do both. I think there are enough people who periodically commute to Columbia from KC and St. Louis that you really want the Supercharger to be in Columbia; if you pick either Boonville or Kingdom City (and not both), you screw over half of those people. I know Columbia doesn't look all that big on the map, but it has the University of Missouri, several smaller colleges, multiple large hospitals, and insurance company hubs. I myself regularly make trips to Columbia from KC for my work.

It wouldn't be as bad a problem if Columbia had good destination charging options, but it doesn't. There is only a single L2 public charger in the entire town of 100K plus people, and I still haven't even found it (can someone give an address or GPS coordinates of this mysterious charger?)

I finally found the L2 charger in Columbia (the one not at a downtown hotel or the Nissan dealership). It can be found at 38.924016, -92.333260.

OK, for those who travel this route: Is St. Charles supercharger to KC supercharger viable? Looks like about 220 mi. This thread seems to have died, so maybe everybody's happy?

Done it a few times... keep speed in check and know there is a bailout in Columbia (Tiger Hotel) for some charging if you are going through your reserve too quickly. That said, I have never had to stop for a charge in between.

Columbia has finally been permitted - so hopefully we will have an active sc mid state in the next couple of months!