Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waymo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Brad Templeton has some more info on the CPUC expansion. He says that the story that Waymo's expansion was suspended until June was false.

This scoops a story I was writing on Waymo. I talked to Waymo a week ago about the reports that their application had been suspended until June due to complaints by San Mateo. They told me that was a mistake reporters made (possibly because they were told it by other interested parties) and in fact it was just a normal process done when they need more than the normal 30 days. I was going to publish this in an item along with more I learned about the pickup truck "2 crashes into the same truck" event which is more interesting, but it looks like it's all resolved.

So if you are wondering why it happened so fast when you had been told it was going to take until June, the answer is the people who wrote it was going to take until June never bothered to check on the reality.

Man gets arrested trying to steal a Waymo in LA:

A suspect was arrested by officers with the Los Angeles Police Department for allegedly attempting to steal an autonomous vehicle.

The incident occurred around 10:30 p.m. Saturday. Authorities say 33-year-old Vincent Maurice Jones entered a Waymo Jaguar sedan that had just dropped off another passenger on Main Street, just north of 1st Street in Downtown Los Angeles.

Officers say Jones got into the driver’s seat and tried to manipulate the system to put the vehicle into drive. A Waymo employee spoke with Jones through the car’s communication system and instructed him to leave the vehicle.

When Jones didn’t follow the employee’s request, the representative contacted LAPD. Officers arrived on the scene a short time and placed Jones under arrest for attempted grand theft auto.

Brad Templeton analysis of the Waymo collisions with the tow truck that led to the software "recall":

As reported to NHTSA, the truck was behind a tow truck, which had craned up the front, but its front wheels were on the ground. However, in an unusual (and Waymo says improper) fashion, the steering wheel on the truck was apparently locked to the right. The tow truck was moving in the shared center “left turn” lane, which is generally only for vehicles turning immediately left from either direction. Because of the turned front wheels, the dragged truck was twisting itself to the right, constantly putting its nose into the lane to the (tow truck’s) right of it, in which both Waymos were driving. The Waymo car touched the corner of the truck, but there was not significant damage and the tow truck continued on. “Several minutes” later another Waymo came along and made the same mistake.

In Waymo’s favor, a tow truck should not have been towing like that, nor should it be driving for long in that center lane. Counter to that, however, is the fact that a human driver would be very unlikely to make the mistake the Waymo made. The robotic nature of the system is also evident in the fact a second Waymo made the same mistake.

The most important part of any self driving car is the prediction engine, which tries to calculate where everything on the road is likely to go as we move into the future. Speculation suggests the Waymo prediction engine saw the orientation of the pickup truck, with wheels turned away, and incorrectly predicted it would head towards the lane it was being towed in. Waymo has declined to comment on the details of this, but there are two potential sources of a bad prediction. In one case, they might have not understood the pickup was being towed, and just viewed it as a truck incorrectly making an incursion into the Waymo’s lane, but clearly steering into the left turn lane. Another, more likely error, would be that they identified the pickup as being towed, and predicted that it would trail behind the tow truck in the way this normally works. Towed vehicles can swing out, but they will return to following the tow vehicle quickly.

As such, I speculate that the Waymo predicted the pickup would quickly move to the center lane, and as such the Waymo could continue it its adjacent lane as the truck would be gone by the time it got there. It probably kept predicting that up until the time it was too close and it winged the pickup truck. Based on the crash description, it’s probable the tow truck driver didn’t even know this had happened, and so kept going, for the 2nd Waymo to come along.

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394
Last edited:
Reactions: spacecoin
It will be interesting to see what the cost of the Zeekr robotaxi is. It should be less than the I-Pace. If the cost is low enough, it should really help Waymo gets closer to profitability, I hope.
I’m guessing it is at least 25-40% less than the Jaguar excl sensors if they order substantial volumes, and then they don’t have to retrofit compute, sensing and do cabling.

Reactions: diplomat33
In this interview (in Swedish) a Zeekr representative claims Waymo will be deploying the Zeekr robotaxi "fairly soon". OTOH she says the same about going to mass production.

Reactions: diplomat33