Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We Energies Jacks up Wisconsin Rates 51% for EV Owners!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect they'll go with some sort of "per-mile" tax so as to capture all alternative fuel vehicles.

Wisconsin already has a Road Tax in the works for EV's. $50/year for Hybrids, and $100/year for full EV's. I actually find that fair. Considering the cost per gallon that goes to road tax here (32 cents/gallon), That would have only been 312.5 gallons of gasoline. Or in a similar gasoline vehicle, enough gas to only go 7812.5 miles. Not very far. Considering I am doing 36-40,000 miles/year, $100 is a drop in the bucket and I think it to be very fair. I'd rather NOT have a per mile.

Wisconsin already has a Road Tax in the works for EV's. $50/year for Hybrids, and $100/year for full EV's. I actually find that fair. Considering the cost per gallon that goes to road tax here (32 cents/gallon), That would have only been 312.5 gallons of gasoline. Or in a similar gasoline vehicle, enough gas to only go 7812.5 miles. Not very far. Considering I am doing 36-40,000 miles/year, $100 is a drop in the bucket and I think it to be very fair. I'd rather NOT have a per mile.

At those rates, I absolutely agree with you. I had heard that some states (Washington?) were considering a per-mile tax but was unaware of these fixed rate charges. Right now, most of us are enjoying the benefit of not paying road taxes, but that is likely not sustainable as alternate fuel vehicles increase in popularity.

Don't forget the extra taxes that many EV and hybrid owners pay due to the increased price of the vehicle compared to a comparable ICE version. Extra sales tax and for us Virginians extra annual personal property tax based on the value of the vehicle really adds up and more than makes up for any lost revenue from a gasoline tax.

Don't forget the extra taxes that many EV and hybrid owners pay due to the increased price of the vehicle compared to a comparable ICE version. Extra sales tax and for us Virginians extra annual personal property tax based on the value of the vehicle really adds up and more than makes up for any lost revenue from a gasoline tax.

That is a good point except for the fact that the majority of folks on these forums expound the view that the Model S is very comparably priced with other ICE cars that it directly competes with.

In Minnesota EV owners pay higher registration fees annually. Registration is based on base value of vehicle and age. A new P85D costs $1200 to register in year one. While all competitive vehicles pay the same, the big difference is between an EV and its ICE counterpart (eg. Ford Focus EV vs. Focus ICE). The EV owner pays much higher annual registration fees because of the higher base price of the vehicle.

I am in the extremely Pissed off, Reason 1, As I pay online, and don't get paper bill in the mail, I never got the notification. #2, When We Energies petitioned the state to allow a rate increase, they stated it would be a 5% increase.... Maybe on the Flat Rate Customers, but on TOU!

I think you should file a formal complaint with your public utilities commission. From the sounds of it, your utility may have acted illegally.

I would hesitate to tell the utility company I was charging an EV. The day is coming when they will start charging road use taxes on your EV power. Politicians can not stand to see money changing hands without a tax.

Last year North Carolina started charging $100/year for electric vehicle registration on top of the standard $30 + ~1% property tax to cover the lost fuel taxes.