Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We want some Model 3 Leaks, renders, sketches !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car with the people standing around it is the X mock-up.
Right, and knowing what we know about the production Model X front end, it makes sense now why they covered the front back then (people speculated that the clay model was actually a Model Y given the assumption was that the Model X production would not be significantly different from the concept, which was an incorrect assumption).

I'm trying to dig back the old thread where the screenshot as discussed to death already, so we don't go around in circles.

Links to old threads:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...ings/page180?p=1086086&viewfull=1#post1086086
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...ssover/page7?p=1086851&viewfull=1#post1086851

This speculation might be the closest:
Alright - I agree with you that the strangely asymmetrical / Frankenstein clay model is the one referred to in the waitbutwhy article (potentially half crossover, half sedan). I've fixed that guess in the picture:

View attachment 88984

Last edited:
Looking through the pictures in this thread, I think people are going to be very disappointed when the Model 3 is revealed if it looks more like this, than those on the preceding pages...

View attachment 105290

If they do make it look more like the ones in the pictures in this thread, they are going to lose a lot of Model S orders and somehow I don't think that's the plan. (But please make it look better than this!)
No frunkin' way. :D

Hello guys,
I saw this picture earlier, but I didn´t pay too much attention to it, but now I looked closely and there is slightly different shape of the generation 3 sedan/crossover model (if it is) compare to Model X. It looks like the headlights will be IN the vehicle ... uhmm ... It sounds weird because every vehicle has light in, but I think in like more than usually, the opposite way than Nissan Leaf.

Elon said it will not look like other cars so I expect unexpected...

Is there any company that keeps secrets better than Tesla? Not one leak, come ooooooonnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!

... I'm trying to dig back the old thread where the screenshot as discussed to death already, so we don't go around in circles.

Links to old threads:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...ings/page180?p=1086086&viewfull=1#post1086086
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...ssover/page7?p=1086851&viewfull=1#post1086851

This speculation might be the closest:

This thread is fun simply because all it does is perpetually go around in circles re-covering old ground. There is, after all, no new ground to comment on :frown:

Take heart, March is approaching!

It's going to be hilarious. Just read the reactions to each Model S firmware release. Even this level of change seems to be too much for some people.

Imagine what will happen in March when we will be faced with a whole new car!

It's going to be hilarious. Just read the reactions to each Model S firmware release. Even this level of change seems to be too much for some people.

Imagine what will happen in March when we will be faced with a whole new car!

The Model S was released in 2012. The UI started to look long-in-the-tooth in 2014. Version 7.0 refreshed the look of everything in 2015. Do I want my instrument cluster and entire dashboard to be rearranged and facelifted every 2-4 years? No thank you! The fact that software can be updated exacerbates the problem of outdated-ness in a way. So I totally understand why people don't like these changes. There is always going to be a detail changed to something that somebody doesn't like.

This is not to say I don't like the new look of v7. Overall I prefer more minimalistic and flat interfaces (less glitz). If I had a Model S I would definitely miss the old kW meter though. The 2003 Honda Accord with which I am most familiar hasn't had a single UI update in its twelve years of existence and it doesn't look nearly as dated as a Model S running v6.

[switching gears]

Hey, I know this is far-fetched ... but it's just speculation like anybody else's. It appears that the Model X doors open by themselves when the door handle is pressed. Rumor has it that on non-premium-package Xs the doors will pop open slightly when the handle is pressed, allowing the door to be opened by grasping the edge.

It's possible that you'll touch/depress the handle, and the door will pop open. Then you'll open it with the door edge. I don't know how ideal that is, but it's a possibility.

(Quote from a different thread.)

I think it's possible that, instead of fixed door handles or the like, which have aerodynamic disadvantages, the Model 3 will have flush, pressable door handles like the X, which then pop the door open slightly.

The Model S was released in 2012. The UI started to look long-in-the-tooth in 2014. Version 7.0 refreshed the look of everything in 2015. Do I want my instrument cluster and entire dashboard to be rearranged and facelifted every 2-4 years? No thank you! The fact that software can be updated exacerbates the problem of outdated-ness in a way. So I totally understand why people don't like these changes. There is always going to be a detail changed to something that somebody doesn't like.

Even though I don't even have a Tesla, I can see the point in the criticism, I liked the old speedometer and I don't know why they couldn't offer a "minimized speedometer" widged to be used in the "side-spots", for example.

Hey, I know this is far-fetched ... but it's just speculation like anybody else's. It appears that the Model X doors open by themselves when the door handle is pressed. Rumor has it that on non-premium-package Xs the doors will pop open slightly when the handle is pressed, allowing the door to be opened by grasping the edge.

I think it's possible that, instead of fixed door handles or the like, which have aerodynamic disadvantages, the Model 3 will have flush, pressable door handles like the X, which then pop the door open slightly.

I actually like this idea, that's how I use my current car's doors anyway (of course, it has the traditional handle but I use it only to open the door a bit and then use the frame). Granted, I'm a bit worried how well that system will work here in Finland where we get sub-zero weathers, freezing rain etc.

The current speculations mostly show the model 3 as a smaller MS sedan.

Honestly, I would prefer a 'small MX"-design (no falcon wings required) mid-sized crossover on the new M3 platform, like similar to a VW Tiguan, Mazda CX-5, Audi Q3,... A higher seating position, (un-)loading groceries with ease...

The current speculations mostly show the model 3 as a smaller MS sedan.

Honestly, I would prefer a 'small MX"-design (no falcon wings required) mid-sized crossover on the new M3 platform, like similar to a VW Tiguan, Mazda CX-5, Audi Q3,... A higher seating position, (un-)loading groceries with ease...
If they go for maximum practicality then it will end up as a stylish minivan :)

Then it is probably the Model Y you are waiting for. Gen-III platform will have at least one Model S "like"* "sedan" - the Model 3 - and one Model X "like"* "cuv/suv" - probably named Model Y. Model Y will probably have falcon wing doors.

*) "like" here does not say "it will look like" but will have a similar but smaller body form.

Rumor has it Franz has this poster in his design studio...
6099085041_0955e217bf_o.jpg

cksijyoj7y.jpg

Cheaper as only 1 door and 3 wheels. "Clam door" instead of falcon wing door.