Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We want some Model 3 Leaks, renders, sketches !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 112938

That is the direct competitor to Model ☰. The BMW 335i Gran Turismo -- sportback/liftback trunk, and very similar external dimensions to what Model will most probably have. Can someone superimpose a Model X front and Model S body on this?
I would hope that the 3-series Gran Coupe would be a more likely competitor (and a good looking one at that). The GT is a mistake.

This has to hit the sales of the S pretty hard if you ask me. Even make it obsolete. Unless they bring out a revamped S with facelift and new features the 3 wont have.

Audi started a similar initiative with the A3, introducing new tech at the "bottom" on a new platform, and adding it into the rest of the lineup during refreshes.

Go look at what the A3 did for sales in 2014 and 2015....impressive. But note that they also fell back into 3rd place in Germany, because the new tech didn't start "moving up" until the 2015's and '16's were introduced.

Tesla may have a similar strategy in mind.

It also has the added benefit of getting people into the brand when it's affordable to them...and growing into the larger vehicles as the new tech is rolled out.

Talked with a Tesla employee today and he says he has seen a picture of the prototype. The front end looks like the model x and the backend looks like the model S. (similar but not exact copies) Its smaller than the S, but in a pic it appears to be about the size of an S.

I hope you are just pulling our collective legs. I was hoping to not see that Storm Trooper face on the Model :scared:

I had expected the Model X look to carry over to the 3 from the moment they unveiled the X. Electric cars don't need grills and the Model S nosecone is just something they had to do because they are still expected. Now that they have done away with that affectation on a very expensive car, they have both primed the public for its absence and will also be free from claims that its use on the 3 is a result of cost-cutting. Same thing with touch-panel door handles, I suspect.

This has to hit the sales of the S pretty hard if you ask me. Even make it obsolete. Unless they bring out a revamped S with facelift and new features the 3 wont have.

The S will always have the advantage of more skateboard space to fit more batteries. Assuming the Model S will also use the improved cell chemistry it will always have much greater range then the Model 3.
We have seen that buyers consistently pay extra for the larger battery so given the choice of the Model S with 100-150 more miles of range than the Model 3 there is no reason sales for the S won't continue to grow. Plus some people want a larger car.

Prediction: when the 3 is unveiled, a lot of people are going to quietly be a little disappointed at how small it is, and how similar, how "normal," it is compared to a few other cars, in looks. However, the performance and economy will blow people away, and that will more than make up for the regularmobile looks. I also think there will be some amazing new features inside, some of which won't be unveiled. I would not be surprised at all if the whole 17" screen deal is gone, in favor of something much more radical, and Elon may wanna hold off revealing until later. These are all guesses, no information. Just wait and see.

Reactions: tomsky
Talked with a Tesla employee today and he says he has seen a picture of the prototype. The front end looks like the model x and the backend looks like the model S. (similar but not exact copies) Its smaller than the S, but in a pic it appears to be about the size of an S.

This can't be verified but wouldn't surprise me in the least. I've been saying for some time now that the Model X front end is a portent of what Model 3 will look like. I'm perfectly happy with Model 3 being a slightly smaller Model S if that's what it turns out to be.

JB just said this week that we'll be surprised at how much Model 3 has for the price. This is not an econobox but a cheaper Model S for the masses. BMW is going to have a fit :)

This can't be verified but wouldn't surprise me in the least. I've been saying for some time now that the Model X front end is a portent of what Model 3 will look like. I'm perfectly happy with Model 3 being a slightly smaller Model S if that's what it turns out to be.

JB just said this week that we'll be surprised at how much Model 3 has for the price. This is not an econobox but a cheaper Model S for the masses. BMW is going to have a fit :)

In Tesla fashion I expect a Model X front end at the reveal, and a different front end at production.

The question here is how much wiggle room there is in "(similar but not exact copies)". If it is just "5 doors liftback sedan without grill or nosecone" - well, that is just what we expect anyway. And if it actually is a more exact copy I don't think there will be much of an complaint - the original is just a good looking car.

- - - Updated - - -

In Tesla fashion I expect a Model X front end at the reveal, and a different front end at production.

Would not surprise me a bit :)

Test drive scheduled for 31st

They take scheduled appointments?

I scheduled a model s test drive on March 31st. Told the guy (calling from from Cali) on the phone I wanted to put a deposit down so I figured I'd schedule a test drive to make sure I was 1st in the door. He got me scheduled for the first appointment of the day :)

Again, the appt is just for a test drive but I'm hoping it guarantees me one of the first reservations as well.

Again, the appt is just for a test drive but I'm hoping it guarantees me one of the first reservations as well.

Is the test drive early/at open? I figured all the employees will be busy taking reservations, at least for the first hour they're open, and it's best not to take them away from the desk. And you don't want to have to leave the line to go test drive the car. I'd imagine that unless you camp out or get there really early, you should expect to be in line well after 10:00am.

Prediction: when the 3 is unveiled, a lot of people are going to quietly be a little disappointed at how small it is, and how similar, how "normal," it is compared to a few other cars, in looks. However, the performance and economy will blow people away, and that will more than make up for the regularmobile looks. I also think there will be some amazing new features inside, some of which won't be unveiled. I would not be surprised at all if the whole 17" screen deal is gone, in favor of something much more radical, and Elon may wanna hold off revealing until later. These are all guesses, no information. Just wait and see.

When I first saw the Model S I had similar feelings - pretty ordinary looking car for the price (especially the interior). I've grown to love most of the exterior and 90% of the interior but it the drivetrain and overall tech experience is so far ahead of the competitions it's a no-brainer for me. I suspect you are right and this will be a similar sentiment with the Model 3.

Reactions: dlinkeg
Is the test drive early/at open? I figured all the employees will be busy taking reservations, at least for the first hour they're open, and it's best not to take them away from the desk. And you don't want to have to leave the line to go test drive the car. I'd imagine that unless you camp out or get there really early, you should expect to be in line well after 10:00am.

10am is open for my store. And I've never been in a tesla so I definitely want to at least sit down in one. I figured this is a good opportunity since I was planning on being at the store early anyways. The plan is to put in my reservation (hopefully I'm first with the appt) and then go for a quick test drive just to experience a Tesla :)

I promise I won't take long for others in the line lol, although I would think they would have just 1 or 2 people taking money and names (should go quick but idk, how did it work with model x and model s? Was it a quick process? Or drawn out? I mean how long could it take, they won't even have a picture to show us because it will be way before "the reveal") and the rest trying to sell people model s'

what at do you all think?

- - - Updated - - -

10am is open for my store. And I've never been in a tesla so I definitely want to at least sit down in one. I figured this is a good opportunity since I was planning on being at the store early anyways. The plan is to put in my reservation (hopefully I'm first with the appt) and then go for a quick test drive just to experience a Tesla :)

I promise I won't take long for others in the line lol, although I would think they would have just 1 or 2 people taking money and names (should go quick but idk, how did it work with model x and model s? Was it a quick process? Or drawn out? I mean how long could it take, they won't even have a picture to show us because it will be way before "the reveal") and the rest trying to sell people model s'

what at do you all think?

sorry, to clarify. My store opens at 10am and my appt is at 10am. I plan on being there at 9am probably.