Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weighing Rejoining the Tesla Family

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All. As you can see from my signature, I am a previous owner of a Model S P85+. I owned that car for a little over a year before life forced me to make a move to a multi-tenant apartment where I was not able to charge the car, and I ended up selling it.

My relationship with that car was a bit tortured. On the one hand, I am a huge believer in Tesla's mission, and believed the Model S was truly a revolutionary automobile. Electrification of the automobile is inevitable and not just a novelty. I grinned a lot driving that thing. On the other hand, I was on a first name basis with the team at the Fremont Service Center, visiting them nearly a dozen times in the first year of ownership with all manner of fit and finish issues as well as two drive unit failures.

I'm moving back into a single family home now and have the option to go fully electric again. I'm currently driving a BMW 530e (since moving into this apartment building, they gained limited charging access), and in anticipation of our family growing and the need for more of a utility vehicle, had been weighing an upgrade into a MY 2019 X5 eDrive, when those are announced this summer.

At the same time, there's a part of me that really would love to be back in a full BEV. I know that Tesla can't really touch BMW when it comes to interior fit and finish. Overall driving dynamics, either. But for the 99% of the time that I'm not driving Angeles Crest Highway, I still feel like the fully electric drivetrain is the most ideal way to get through Bay Area stop-and-go traffic.

Long story short: I'm wondering if current owners can give me some perspective on what assimilating back into the Tesla family would be like. With the Model X am I in for more of the same, with respect to being in and out of the service center every other month? Has this improved at all since 2015? I suspect that the Model S as a platform has matured considerably in terms of production tolerances, but am wondering if by buying into a Model X I'm basically going back in time in terms of build maturity. I see a number of you posting issues here that make me worry that that's true. But perhaps there is a silent majority who have Model X's that...just work?

Appreciate any and all feedback for a previous owner like myself considering jumping back in.

Reactions: Cowby
I've been back to the service center twice in a year and a half and almost 30k miles - once to correct issues from delivery (a scratched window the DS pointed out to me, an air leak on the passenger side and one flipped seatbelt,) and once after I ran over a bolt and it stayed in my tire.

I've been planning to go in and get the filters changed and the car uncorked, but it hasn't been a priority.

I purchased an early VIN model X and took delivery 3/17. It has been in service 13 times in 8 months total of 43 days. Tesla is now repurchasing my car. Despite of all this, I can not imagine driving anything else. I will be purchasing another MUCH higher VIN inventory MX once they are back in stock. Hope this helps.

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX
I purchased an early VIN model X and took delivery 3/17. It has been in service 13 times in 8 months total of 43 days. Tesla is now repurchasing my car. Despite of all this, I can not imagine driving anything else. I will be purchasing another MUCH higher VIN inventory MX once they are back in stock. Hope this helps.

That's crazy.. you took delivery 3 months later than I and our experiences are polar opposites. I am wondering if you could share what your issues were?

Reactions: IdaX
No significant issues with our X since Nov 2016.

It does have the "acceleration shudder" issue for which there is currently no cure. But we work around that annoyance by setting the ride height to "Low" until a fix is ready. This completely eliminates the vibrations.

• Helpful
Reactions: GoTslaGo
This does help. I'm curious why you're waiting on Inventory versus a built-to-order?

Appreciate any and all feedback for a previous owner like myself considering jumping back in.
I have 14K miles on my X100 that I purchased in mid-2017. No major issues, just some very minor stuff. I love it. Greatest road trip car ever, and I think a serious candidate for best all around production vehicle ever made. It’s my third Tesla, and as of now I can’t imagine owning any other car made by any other manufacturer. Nothing else begins to compare. I’ve watched the Supercharger network grow since buying an S in late 2013, road tripping around the western US is now so easy it’s ridiculous!

We have had no real issues with our 2014 P85D. Can't say the same for those I know with the Model X. Edmunds did a long term test of the X and found the same problems that I've heard about (constant problems with the FWD, in particular). Were I in your position I'd either get another Model S of current vintage or go with the plan to upgrade to the X5.

• Disagree
Reactions: P85Dave and Troy
Got a 2016 X60D in 09/2016. Falcon wing door failed on delivery day. Got my car few days later and 5k miles later started experiencing falcon door issue under heat. Been in and out the service center 6 times for the same problem over the course of < 1 year plus some minor issues here and there. After each visit the car got new damages (scratches, paint chip, dented race track, foil showing in door panel etc.) Because of the 6 repairs on falcon door they are re-purchasing the car.

I had a X100D loaner that was built in 06/2017. It was much better than mine in terms of noise. That car felt more solid and refined especially with a quieter turn signal, but with a failing passenger door motor/latch.

Came from owning multiple BMWs and have no regret going Tesla. I didn't miss the BMW at all, despite all these issues. Needless to say my replacement is also a Model X, arriving next month.

Reactions: rjdoc74
That's crazy.. you took delivery 3 months later than I and our experiences are polar opposites. I am wondering if you could share what your issues were?

Mine was an inventory car produced 3/16 VIN 25xx. It has 2100 miles on it. Issues: whole dash, steering wheel, 4 seats out of 7, sensors in all doors (front and back), hatchback latch, FWD switches were replaced. Half shafts replaced. Windshield replaced for ghosting (didn’t solve the problem). That’s off the top of my head.

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby and MXWing
Mine was an inventory car produced 3/16 VIN 25xx. It has 2100 miles on it. Issues: whole dash, steering wheel, 4 seats out of 7, sensors in all doors (front and back), hatchback latch, FWD switches were replaced. Half shafts replaced. Windshield replaced for ghosting (didn’t solve the problem). That’s off the top of my head.

That is terrible and I am glad Tesla is working with you (hope you are pleased).

I would hope over 2 years later, they would have figured out your individual issues.

Reactions: rjdoc74
Our X was delivered 12-23-17 and has had the charge port replaced, everything else seems fine. A side note I owned an S85D for 56k+ miles and my S100D already has 32k+ miles. After driving our X a good bit.......I wish I had known just how much better the X drives than my S’s. I kid my wife all the time that I am going to trade cars with her and she quickly stops that :):). The X really is that good.

Reactions: mal_tsla
The X is fantastic. My X100D was delivered 3/17. Only been to the service center a few times for things like a flat tire, a squeaky FWD, and the rear seat folding down and staying stuck. All things were fixed. I wouldn’t consider any other car but a Model X because of the quiet ride, Autopilot, software downloads, huge windshield, and the cool FWDs.

Reactions: rjdoc74 and MXWing
Two things that make me never want to go back to an ICE car ever:

1) Not having to gas up the car. I'm the kind of guy that runs low on gas at the most inopportune time because I'm a cheapo that wants to wait to gas up the car at Costco. Gas stations are nasty and the wait can be a pain in the behind.

2) Autopilot. I'm never tired after long drives in the X and so I don't dread visiting my family from far away. I used to visit them twice a year, now it's almost twice a month.

Everything else is gravy on top. Honestly, we nitpick so much because we customize our Teslas (delivery checklist anyone?). Customizations tend to introduce small defects. On the other hand, we get what we get with, say an X5. You have like 5 choices to choose from in their inventory and that's that. No checklist involved. If you go back to your BMW and look closely, I'm sure you'll find a few things that could be better.

Reactions: Cowby
Hi All. As you can see from my signature, I am a previous owner of a Model S P85+. I owned that car for a little over a year before life forced me to make a move to a multi-tenant apartment where I was not able to charge the car, and I ended up selling it.

My relationship with that car was a bit tortured. On the one hand, I am a huge believer in Tesla's mission, and believed the Model S was truly a revolutionary automobile. Electrification of the automobile is inevitable and not just a novelty. I grinned a lot driving that thing. On the other hand, I was on a first name basis with the team at the Fremont Service Center, visiting them nearly a dozen times in the first year of ownership with all manner of fit and finish issues as well as two drive unit failures.

I'm moving back into a single family home now and have the option to go fully electric again. I'm currently driving a BMW 530e (since moving into this apartment building, they gained limited charging access), and in anticipation of our family growing and the need for more of a utility vehicle, had been weighing an upgrade into a MY 2019 X5 eDrive, when those are announced this summer.

At the same time, there's a part of me that really would love to be back in a full BEV. I know that Tesla can't really touch BMW when it comes to interior fit and finish. Overall driving dynamics, either. But for the 99% of the time that I'm not driving Angeles Crest Highway, I still feel like the fully electric drivetrain is the most ideal way to get through Bay Area stop-and-go traffic.

Long story short: I'm wondering if current owners can give me some perspective on what assimilating back into the Tesla family would be like. With the Model X am I in for more of the same, with respect to being in and out of the service center every other month? Has this improved at all since 2015? I suspect that the Model S as a platform has matured considerably in terms of production tolerances, but am wondering if by buying into a Model X I'm basically going back in time in terms of build maturity. I see a number of you posting issues here that make me worry that that's true. But perhaps there is a silent majority who have Model X's that...just work?

Huge difference between the original Signature S and the latest S which was a Model 90D for us. I knew everyone at Service with the Signature. With the 90d we only did annuals until we sold it recently for a Model X. I know the service center again for some front window issues on the X not rolling up or down. Both have been replaced and resolved.

As a side note, I regained ownership of my original Signature S at 80k miles. It’s been flawless since it’s return, but it was under full service for the two years my son drove it. The original is quite raw with rear wheel drive and almost. I features in comparison, but I love having it back.

Hope that helps. Model S is mature and X is getting mature in my opinion.