TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Weird Steering Issue

Discussion in 'Model S' started by scottflys, Mar 12, 2017.

1. scottflys

scottflys Member

So this morning I pulled into the airport parking garage, I had to open my door to reach for the ticket to raise the bar to enter the garage. I'm pretty sure I just kept the car in drive. When I tried to move forward the steering was super tight like the hydraulics or power steering was not working. I was barely able to park the car. I got out and look to see if any tires were flat they were not. When I got back in the car said off and I out it back in drive and the steering was back to normal. What was all of that about? Do I need to call service or what's going on?
    Do you think I screwed something up by driving it like that a few hundred feet. It was really weird, was able to go into reverse and everything was working except the steering.
    Thx

• Informative x 1
  2. Sir Guacamolaf

Sir Guacamolaf The good kind of fat

#2 Sir Guacamolaf, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    You are not the only one seeing this issue,

Steering locked up while driving a loaner
    Very Stiff Steering Wheel Issue

Tesla should get this under control before a fanboy is sacrificed, and we hear the usual "Logs tell us driver was sleeping

.. YOU .. should immediately let the service center know. This malfunction is not an annoyance, it is a safety issue.

• Like x 2
  3. MS16

MS16 Member

#3 MS16, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    Was the vehicle moving after you got the ticket?

On mine, when the door is open and you leave your seat, the car will either go into Park or turn off.

4. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

I think as you reached for the ticket, you lifted your bottom off the seat so it went into park.

5. Sir Guacamolaf

Sir Guacamolaf The good kind of fat

Park should not lock the steering!
    The issue here is that either the AP has a mind of it's own and starts controlling the steering, or the power steering disengages. You can muscle steer it, but it's really really dangerous if your car is in on the road.

6. scottflys

scottflys Member

It wasn't in park or I wouldn't be able to drive it forward and I also used reverse while the steering was locked up

• Informative x 1
  7. MS16

MS16 Member

So your vehicle was actually in motion when the steering was locked up? If that's the case, I would log the date/time it happened and definitely take it to the SC. Sounds too similar to the steering incidents that are posted above.

What month did you take delivery?

8. scottflys

scottflys Member

I stopped to pull out the ticket to open the turn style arm for the garage and when I tried to pull forward the steering was locked up. Lucky the EV parking was right there and was able to yank the wheel and park.

9. Skysurfer

Skysurfer Member

Sounds like you lost the electric power steering assistance. There is still a mechanical link to the wheels but it takes a lot of effort while sitting still without assistance. Wonder if the torque sensor was acting up or stopped sending correct messages on the CAN bus.

I would definitely contact Tesla about it.