Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird Steering Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this morning I pulled into the airport parking garage, I had to open my door to reach for the ticket to raise the bar to enter the garage. I'm pretty sure I just kept the car in drive. When I tried to move forward the steering was super tight like the hydraulics or power steering was not working. I was barely able to park the car. I got out and look to see if any tires were flat they were not. When I got back in the car said off and I out it back in drive and the steering was back to normal. What was all of that about? Do I need to call service or what's going on?
Do you think I screwed something up by driving it like that a few hundred feet. It was really weird, was able to go into reverse and everything was working except the steering.
Thx

• Informative
Reactions: MS16
You are not the only one seeing this issue,

Steering locked up while driving a loaner
Very Stiff Steering Wheel Issue

Tesla should get this under control before a fanboy is sacrificed, and we hear the usual "Logs tell us driver was sleeping

.. YOU .. should immediately let the service center know. This malfunction is not an annoyance, it is a safety issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: xborg and Gur814
So this morning I pulled into the airport parking garage, I had to open my door to reach for the ticket to raise the bar to enter the garage. I'm pretty sure I just kept the car in drive. When I tried to move forward the steering was super tight like the hydraulics or power steering was not working. I was barely able to park the car. I got out and look to see if any tires were flat they were not. When I got back in the car said off and I out it back in drive and the steering was back to normal. What was all of that about? Do I need to call service or what's going on?
Do you think I screwed something up by driving it like that a few hundred feet. It was really weird, was able to go into reverse and everything was working except the steering.
Thx

Was the vehicle moving after you got the ticket?

On mine, when the door is open and you leave your seat, the car will either go into Park or turn off.

Last edited:
It wasn't in park or I wouldn't be able to drive it forward and I also used reverse while the steering was locked up

So your vehicle was actually in motion when the steering was locked up? If that's the case, I would log the date/time it happened and definitely take it to the SC. Sounds too similar to the steering incidents that are posted above.

What month did you take delivery?

Sounds like you lost the electric power steering assistance. There is still a mechanical link to the wheels but it takes a lot of effort while sitting still without assistance. Wonder if the torque sensor was acting up or stopped sending correct messages on the CAN bus.

I would definitely contact Tesla about it.

Road Trip: My 2017 S (120,000 km) started with a subtle feeling the power steering was failing on low speed turns. So subtle I figured I was imagining it. I did a reset to see it would clear it up but didn’t. 500km later, as I’m arriving home, it’s a bit more pronounced & clearly not quite right. Anyone else experience this?

Tesla Service is backed up and not available.