Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Well, I refused delivery :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going through a similar issue. I'm scheduled to pick up my car tomorrow and I was just told they found a large, deep scratch on the bumper. They could either fix it or I could request a new car. I'm leaning towards getting a new car. My only concern is my loan and insurance paperwork all have the current VIN on it. There shouldn't be any problem getting that paperwork changed, right?

What's the case for not getting a new car? Based on the repair backlog horror stories I think getting a new car may be the fastest solution.

Current VIN 5YJ3E1EBXJF0545##. Red, AWD, Black Interior, Standard Wheels

Insurance is no big deal. I just called mine and informed them that I did not take delivery and will be receiving a different vin.

As for the loan I financed through Tesla mainly because didn’t want to hassle with taking care of it myself. It was seamless on my end. I think the only thing you would need to worry about is that loan applications are only good for 30 or 60 days depending on they bank. As long as you are within that window, I wouldn’t anticipate it being to complicated.

In regard to wait time. I received my new vin faster than what I was quoted to repair the car.

• Informative
Reactions: malciv
Yes, I had that thought. Just like the next person who gets this car would have know idea it was originally going to be for me. I guess it doesn't matter as long as you can't tell it was repaired. So really it comes down to which option gets me a car quicker.
Everything else looks great, I’d have the bumper repaired and be good with it. Why risk another minor issue.

Vin65xxx, I'll be looking very carefully at the finished product when the car comes back.
As per Tesla, a Tesla spokesman in an email to "The Street" wrote, "Tesla customers never have to worry because if they are unhappy with their car when they receive it, they can either give it back for a full refund, allow us to address any issues, or ask for an entirely new Tesla."
If I don't like the results, they'll get it back and I'll wait for another.

• Helpful
Reactions: Sg911
I just got the below...looks like they are offering refunds if you dont like your vehicle:

upload_2018-9-12_9-37-56.png

Reactions: cwerdna and neroden
Tomorrow will be 3 weeks since my delivery was cancelled.

I’ll be surprised if I hear anything from them before November.

I'm coming up on four weeks since my original delivery date was canceled. First, I was waiting for a "minor" front bumper issue to be fixed. I inquired about the status of the car multiple times and was told it'd be ready by the "end of the week" two separate times for two different weeks. Now yesterday I was told the 12V battery needs to be replaced, and that's what's holding up delivery. No ETA given. Not sure what takes so long to replace a simple 12V battery. I'm also concerned because I still haven't even seen the car... what if I find some other issue when I do see it for the first time?

In his latest response, the IDA said he will look for a new VIN and see if that will get me a car quicker, but like others above have said, I'd assume a new VIN would be some other reject that was repaired and re-assigned.

I'm coming up on four weeks since my original delivery date was canceled. First, I was waiting for a "minor" front bumper issue to be fixed. I inquired about the status of the car multiple times and was told it'd be ready by the "end of the week" two separate times for two different weeks. Now yesterday I was told the 12V battery needs to be replaced, and that's what's holding up delivery. No ETA given. Not sure what takes so long to replace a simple 12V battery. I'm also concerned because I still haven't even seen the car... what if I find some other issue when I do see it for the first time?

In his latest response, the IDA said he will look for a new VIN and see if that will get me a car quicker, but like others above have said, I'd assume a new VIN would be some other reject that was repaired and re-assigned.
I did get a new match last week and am scheduled to take delivery the week after next. It might just be faster to get a new VIN.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden

But, is that really telling us anything we don't already know about?

A Nov 2017 car is very early on.

From what I could tell they mostly got the alignment stuff straightened out (except on my car where the right front bumper was off by around 3-4mm), and that paint was the biggest issue.

Whoever is in the charge of paint at Tesla should dress up like a zombie (with safety gear), and get chased by Tesla owners armed with paintball guns.

Although we might do a better job painting him than his robots have done on our cars.

• Funny
Reactions: qwertzy
Sucks. What's your VIN? I didn't notice any issues with my 72xxx at delivery on 9/8. Once at the detailer for PPF/tint etc. I did notice one tiny divot just above the rear door window. Not a big deal. PPF guy found a few dust nubs on lower front bumper out of eyesight. Sanded them down just a tad. Didn't want to risk tearing them off and having craters. XPEL Stealth covered everything up very nicely.

Your issues are pretty annoying though. Did they give you an ETA when you'll get the car back?

In the body shop, only took 3 days from when I left it at the service center to get it there.
The agent promised me that it will be like new and if I'm not satisfied, my demand for another car will be honored.
I went for this offer as I didn't want to wait for another car and possibly have problems with it.

I'm going through a similar issue. I'm scheduled to pick up my car tomorrow and I was just told they found a large, deep scratch on the bumper. They could either fix it or I could request a new car. I'm leaning towards getting a new car. My only concern is my loan and insurance paperwork all have the current VIN on it. There shouldn't be any problem getting that paperwork changed, right?
It's usually super quick with insurance. I'm told it's pretty quick with loans too.